BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Size of winches

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2019 12:15 #205132 by Mole
Size of winches was created by Mole
Iv had a search on the forum but couldn't really find what I was looking for. What sort of size winch best suits the jim is it just the bigger the better of can you get away with small and compact. It's a completely new area for me so be gentle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Mar 2019 13:49 #205137 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Size of winches
I don't pretend to be the authority on winch selection but for normal self recovery 8 to 9 thousand pounds pull is plenty adequate in fact it's perfectly reasonable to use a 6000 and a pulley. The only reason for anything much bigger is if you are regularly recovering something heavy like a land rover and you are able to find a good rear anchor to pull against. That said when I was serious about off road driving I covered thousands of miles and never had recourse to a winch either needing one of my own or having to use someone else's.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Mar 2019 18:37 #205160 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Size of winches
Useful to have, but as Lambert says, not really needed unless you are wanting to go to competitions (many of which wont allow a winch anyway, and you could get a lockrite fitted for similar money and better overall effect).

But I cant talk, I have a 13500lb orange winchmax one bolted on mine :laugh:

Synthetic rope is important and much safer (even the chinese stuff is safer than a steel rope). Cheaper winches (like my winchmax) tend to go for headline pulling power specs, when really I think speed is more important. Look at the gearbox ratio in the spec of the winch. my winchmax is 265:1 and fairly slow with it, Goodwinch have 175:1, so much faster at a similar load rating.

Batteries - for an occasional backup winch I would be simply using the stock battery. Dual batteries are for competition use really.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep

More
27 Mar 2019 23:59 #205179 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Size of winches
It all depends what you want it for. If you are going to get stuck in deep ruts and have to drag it along on its belly or winch up steep inclines, you'll want a 9000lb.

If you might get lightly stuck on a green lane because you don't have big tyres, a 6000lb will tug you out. Is the cost much different though? I don't think so. As for speed, the more you pay, the quicker they get. Is speed important if it's just for a little tug to get you going on a lane?

Slow is controlled too. You're less likely to have an accident then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2019 12:48 #205194 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Size of winches
Expanding on this topic, I was wondering about any thoughts on the Winch-in-a-bag or other portable-type winches. I don't really want to fit a permanent winch on to my Jimny (and it will clearly be on the wrong end for whenever I get stuck or need to use it :laugh: ), and they seem handy to have in the boot when going off-roading. I am not intending to do anything heavy with them, but it would mean some light off-roading at the weekend would be possible without a second car ready to tow each other when needed. I have been cross-axled on embarrassingly small bumps that only needed a few inches of movement to get going again, and having that fallback would be great.
It also means it can be used to recover any friend's car as well in many combinations, so it would do a few of us who get together in different combinations.

Has anyone tried the portable winches with good or bad experiences?

Nick

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Mar 2019 13:56 #205198 by Lambert
I have a friend with a tirfir(sp) the manual lever action thing and he swears by it on his farm loads of usefulness. It just requires decent attachment points on the car.

More
29 Mar 2019 10:59 #205240 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Size of winches

Lambert wrote: I have a friend with a tirfir(sp) the manual lever action thing and he swears by it on his farm loads of usefulness. It just requires decent attachment points on the car.

And for you to be fit! They're hard work!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 11:33 #205243 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Size of winches
In all honesty it would be pretty much as nick was saying it's more for getting my self out of the brown stuff it I was just pottering down lanes on my own as I don't have any one to go out with (cue the violin) i hadn't thought about one of the hand type that there would probably be the better cheaper way to go

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Mar 2019 12:07 #205244 by Lambert

kirkynut wrote:

Lambert wrote: I have a friend with a tirfir(sp) the manual lever action thing and he swears by it on his farm loads of usefulness. It just requires decent attachment points on the car.

And for you to be fit! They're hard work!

Kirkynut

Hard work is good for your soul!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Mar 2019 12:11 #205245 by Lambert
Also if you are brave enough there's the winch attachment for the hi lift farm jack. Even more versatile than a mounted winch.

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 13:16 #205246 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Size of winches
I had to Google the hi-lift winch attachment - a variation of the hand-winch, but scarier as Lambert said! I have used a hand-winch for pulling an immobile car a short distance, but it is hard work and pretty slow, so the electric option is probably too much for me to resist, especially if I am labelling it a hobby and not work :)

Nick

More
31 Mar 2019 18:58 #205341 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Size of winches
I don't fancy a huge winch....so I have a 4000lb winch inside the car which locates into a receiver.
And 2 arb lockers.....not had any trouble green laning or in the snow......always a landrover around if I get stuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds