BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Newbie from Manchester with a few questions!

• Ste372
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2016 22:35 #175359 by Ste372
Well we've been threatening to do it for last 12 months but my dad and I finally got our selves a jimny for a bit of green laning. Car is a 56 reg with 59k miles, appears really clean although a good wash and strip down of rear interior will happen at weekend.

Few questions we have, sorry if wrong place I'm still negotiating my way around the forum!

First off. Near the gearbox it's covered in gear oil, all over the box, underside of body/chassis. Reading up I have seen a seal needs renewing? Any pointers on doing this?

Second one. We have noticed a vibration through the car. Only seems to be between 1800-2500rpm in 4th and 5th roughly between 40-55mph. Do it in third and no vibration nice and smooth.

Rear diff seems noisey when cold but a mile or so up the road noise dissappears.

Our first jobs are a oil change for both axles and transfer box. What oils do people recommend?

Little bit concerned about the gearbox leak but I'll clean off check level amd go from there.

Sorry for extremely long winded first post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2016 07:36 #175421 by skywalker65
Hi there and welcome,
There's plenty of help & advice on here. Yours is obviously the VVT engined Jimny.
With regard to oils , always use the best you can afford. Normally I use Castrol oils, just personal choice .
Just done an oil & filter change on mine and managed to get 5 litres of Shell Helix 10/40 oil off eBay for less than 20 quid.
You don't need fancy fully synthetic oils.
Always use a genuine oil filter and always change the sump plug washer.
Mine gets an oil & filter change every 6k and I do the the gearbox, transfer box and axles every 12k
Just how I am.
It's a very easy car to work on.
If you have the owners handbook all the oil specs and capacities are listed in it or do a search on here
:-))

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??

More
08 Dec 2016 08:27 #175422 by Keithy
Welcome to the forum!

I'm about to change the gear selector shaft oil seal....it looked at first like standard propshaft fling....but the output shaft seal is dry....I'm not a lover of oil leaks!

Cost a few quid via the bigjimny store...a simple job which could get tricky :dry:

Diff sounds to be tight.....I'd live with it or if it screamed when cold I'd fix it.

I tend to use Halfords oil in my engine(not the fella on here with a dog taxi)

I'm using comma 75-90 gl-5 semi syth in the axles and not changed the oil in the t-box yet.

If you're into simple fix it yourself motors you've found a good one in a Jimny....quirks and all!

• Ste372
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2016 10:11 #175425 by Ste372
Thank you for the replies. Defo going to change the oils jus for piece of mind really!

You mention the diff being 'tight' is this something that can be adjusted or is it signs the diff is coming to an end?

Were going to have a good look over it this weekend coming give it a clean up see what we've got for a Base. Rust looks minimal and what's there appears to be surface rust at worst. Although do need to check behind headlights and front wheel arches yet.

Thanks for any info guys

More
08 Dec 2016 10:45 #175426 by Keithy
Differential crownwheel to pinion mesh can be adjusted out.....grab the nose and see what clearance you have if none then you've found why it whines a little....only thing barring incorrect engagement is tight/knackered bearings....Can't see it being anything serious...unless there's no oil in there!

Nothing expensive in/on a Jimny......engine £200 Axle £100 etc.....no major worries at all :side:

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds