BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Off-roading West Lancashire and security

• pjcantlay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2016 19:06 #173041 by pjcantlay
Off-roading West Lancashire and security was created by pjcantlay
Hi. Recently joined forum in Feb this year when I bought an 03 Jimny Mode with 54k on the clock . Now swapped to an 03 Jimny o2 soft top with only 22k. Had initial problem of steering wobble at 45mph (not experieced with the Mode) but at last got it cured by having the tracking done and the front wheels balanced by Kwikfit today and problem solved!
There were tears in the softtop in the 2 top corners (about 4" each side) and having considered the options decided to remove top and sew it up using curved needle and button thread reinforced internally with 2" wide webbing (off an old rucksack) stuck on with impact adhesive and stapled. I painted over the outside of the staples with hammerite and rubbed black silicone into the outside of the join. Now virtually invisible and has withstood heavy rain in the 2 weeks since it was done, thus saving £300 on a new one!
My only concern now is security as I am not sure if it has an imobiliser and entry seems too easy for a thief with the button off top! Has anyone any suggestions please? (apart from swapping it back to a hardtop!)
I would also like to hear if anyone in my area (Southport) has any info. on anywhere to offroad within 30miles or so. We have miles of beach and sandhills here but no chance of getting even 1 wheel on this facility let alone 4 without the fear of being arrested! Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2016 22:57 #173057 by kirkynut
Welcome along!

They all have an immobiliser but a steering wheel lock can't hurt.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: pjcantlay

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2016 09:26 #173140 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Off-roading West Lancashire and security
welcome, anything to slow someone down who thinks they can take what they like................. wheel clamp ? Pitbull ?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
04 Oct 2016 19:01 #173158 by jackonlyjack
welcome i have an alarm inside my jim ;)
at 115Db it's hard to stay inside :woohoo:

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: pjcantlay

• Ellison
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2016 14:13 #173662 by Ellison
Replied by Ellison on topic Off-roading West Lancashire and security
hi there, there isn't much stuff around where you are really.
I think there is a pay and play day at wigan, or rivington pike green lane.
or take a trip to the lake district and have a look on the lake district website for a list of green lanes.
I'm only in Ormskirk so let me know if your stuck with anything.

• pjcantlay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2016 17:55 #173668 by pjcantlay
Replied by pjcantlay on topic Off-roading West Lancashire and security
Hi Ellison, thanks for responding - nice to know there is someone local. I will be having a look at the Rivington area as the OS map shows some interesting tracks. I have been nosying around the forst of Bowland area which does have some accessable green lanes with amazing views of the fells .
I am not sure I want to go "mud plugging" and will be quite content to mosey around any rough tracks which are accessable. I am quite familiar with the Bowland area (I was a volunteer ranger there for 8 years!) and would be happy to meet up perhaps if you fancy an afternoon up there.

• StayBlue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2016 02:58 - 18 Oct 2016 03:04 #173677 by StayBlue
Replied by StayBlue on topic Off-roading West Lancashire and security
Security-wise, I have a hardtop. Last year we were out fell walking, came back to a gaping hole in the passenger door where someone had smashed the full lock out due to the old school door locks. If someone wants in they'll get in!
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 03:04 by StayBlue.

More
26 Oct 2016 18:53 #173942 by supergaz
Hi from Birkdale

• pjcantlay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2016 09:12 #173961 by pjcantlay
Replied by pjcantlay on topic Off-roading West Lancashire and security
Hi. Thanks for making contact. Any suggestions for off-roading/green-laneing locally? I was up at Rivington a few days ago and whist scenery excellent the only tracks I spotted seemed to be for walkers.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds