BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Code reader ??

• dirtylanes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2016 12:23 #162796 by dirtylanes
Code reader ?? was created by dirtylanes
I have a 2006 VVT Jimny and am looking to buy a code reader, am I right in that the type I will need is OB2 ? and Is there a type or model
that I should be looking at, also is it worth buying something that some would say is a toy as opposed to a pro one. John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 12:41 #162798 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Code reader ??
Yes OBD 2. The simple cheap ones will give you the codes which will point you in the right direction and also allow you to reset the check light.
It all depends what you want to spend and the use you may get out of it.
I've not used my cheap one on the Jimny but my wifes Alto was playing up and it had no problem in directing me to the lambda sensor failure.
The ones that connect to laptops can also give you figures for the engine while running but obviously cost more.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Laminak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2016 20:15 #162902 by Laminak
Replied by Laminak on topic Code reader ??
To read malfunction code, I use an ELM327 reader B)

The link explain how to make a diagnostic with OBD and why :)
outilsobdfacile

The second link is my tool
elm327-usb-obd2-metal
And I will purchase a bluethouth one B)

More
23 Feb 2016 22:02 #162909 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Code reader ??
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationas anyone used this and the torque app for android phones

Jack :unsure:

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2016 08:59 #162921 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Code reader ??
I use similar and torque pro. Use the pay-for version of the app, it's awesome. Great for real time info etc...

More
24 Feb 2016 20:43 #162955 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Code reader ??
I did some testing on some ELM variants, the Bluetooth ones are really quite slow, a wired USB interface is the fastest but the Wi-Fi version isn't far behind.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
24 Feb 2016 21:11 #162957 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Code reader ??
I have a Scangauge 2 permanently plugged into mine. I like seeing the real time info, such as coolant temperature in particular.

The car temperature gauge allows the car to get quite hot before it gets near the red.

It's quick and easy to regularly check for codes to catch problems early with it permanently plugged in.

I had cause to plug a similar tool into my Mrs E46 BMW last week to check the voltage as I thought the Alternator was on its way out, which it was. I read the codes while plugged in and found the cam sensor on the exhaust side was playing up. I was able to change it before it packed up and either stopped running completely or went into limp home.

If it was plugged in permanently I might have read the codes earlier and will now be making a point of checking them monthly.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• dirtylanes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2016 10:07 #162974 by dirtylanes
Replied by dirtylanes on topic Code reader ??
Thanks for all the advice chaps, excellent stuff. John

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds