BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Diff wind up ?

• Sasquatch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2015 22:10 #141953 by Sasquatch
Diff wind up ? was created by Sasquatch
Hi,

As a new Jimny 4x4 owner I have been unaware of diff wind up until just reading some posts.

I understand on normal road driving just to use to 2 wheel drive but I take it its ok to use low or high 4x4 if needed off road ?

Can I drive around off road leaving it in 4 wheel drive and how will I know if they are winding up ?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Adz6660
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2015 07:07 #141961 by Adz6660
Replied by Adz6660 on topic Diff wind up ?
Hi. I recently had this problem I wound the diff up and it wouldn't engage 2wd properly. You only use 4wd when you need it as in a massive hill or your spinning the rear wheels. Just because your off road doesn't mean you need to be in 4 wheel drive. The diff will winde up if there is no wheel spin or loose ground. I was advised that if you do use it and winde it up just reverse for a short distance to take the tension out but trust me little jimnys are really good in rwd. Hope this helps cheers adz

More
06 Apr 2015 10:30 - 06 Apr 2015 10:32 #141973 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Diff wind up ?
Wind up is because the jimny doesn't have a centre diff.

What happens is the front & back wheels tried to travel different distances when you went round a curve.

What "winds up" are all those long springy pieces of metal, the halfshafts, and very slightly the propshafts. You won't get it out of 4wd when wound up as the two halves of the transmission are twisted so much that the locking sleeve is jammed and wont slide off the dog teeth in the transfer box.

If you jack up a front wheel when it is wound up, (any wheel would do, but the handbrake is locking the rears ;) )

as soon as it leaves the floor it will twang round 1/4 of a turn or so as the tension unwinds.

Reversing straight doesn't normally make a difference, you need to free up one of the wheels, drive it onto gravel or grass, off a curb etc.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 10:32 by facade.

More
06 Apr 2015 16:42 #141994 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Diff wind up ?

Sasquatch wrote: Hi,
Can I drive around off road leaving it in 4 wheel drive and how will I know if they are winding up ?

Cheers.

I tend to work on the idea - if it isn't slipping, don't use it. So it is very rarely used and then again when the road is wet and really slippery it's too late; only once like this on a bend have I snicked my Suzuki (LJ 80) into 4WD just in time to save the day........in 30 years of 4x4.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
06 Apr 2015 20:21 #142026 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Diff wind up ?
My view is its safer to use 4wd and risk windup than to be scared of using it and get yourself into a muddle. Personally I've never had an issue with windup, even when I've tried. in my experience the tyres scuff if you turn tight on tarmac, and everything works fine afterwards. As per the instructions on the sun visor, using 4wd is fine on any loose or slippery surface.

More
06 Apr 2015 20:44 #142027 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Diff wind up ?
Been out all day landing down some pretty bad lanes and used 4x4 once for about 150 meters out of 90 miles

JIMNYLESS

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds