BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres whats best

• Sasquatch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2015 16:48 #141808 by Sasquatch
Tyres whats best was created by Sasquatch
Hi,

I have just managed to get my first 4x4 a 1999 Jimny through the MOT.

It has standard road tyres on. I would like to get some tyres more suitable for offroad fun. I have read loads of threads about tyres and sizes.
At the moment I do not intend lifting suspension or body so after tyres that will work as it is. Would like higher sidewalls to get axles up a bit.

Whilst big wide tyres look cool I am thinking about going 195 80 15.

What are your thoughts on the best tyre sizes will a 195 80 15 go the same places a 215 75 15 tyre of the same type would.

Also I have never driven with offroad tyres on the road before I like the look of the Special track/Kaiman style but concerned they would be a nightmare on the road. I have brought the truck for a bit of Greenlaning and hopefully messing around in pits.

Will I still get the sort of grip needed offroad with an All Terrain or Mud Terrain ?

Any advice Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2015 18:49 #141813 by Jimbospanner
Replied by Jimbospanner on topic Tyres whats best
I run 195/80/15, but I do have a three inch lift.

My ones are recip, I find them really good in the mud. I'm doing the winch challenge series and can say they are doing just fine. You have to think about route selection, not just point and go.

On road expect more noise, but still drivable with MT.

More
02 Apr 2015 19:02 #141814 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tyres whats best
There won't be any noticeable difference between 195 80s and 215 75s. Narrower tyres are better in mud, wider tyres are better on loose surfaces like sand and gravel. But the sizes are so similar it doesn't matter either way.

AT tyres are only good off-road if it's dry. For greenlaning and some pay and play MTs are much better. Most remoulds are more aggressive than non-remoulds so will give you the best grip in extreme situations but they will never be as good on-road as a tyre from the likes of BFGoodrich, General and Kumho. Some re-moulds also wear very quickly on-road.

If you plan to keep the truck for a while, I'd suggest investing in a set of BFG KM2 Mud terrains. They are a few quid more than other tyres but are probably the best all-round serious off-road tyre and they last forever.

More
02 Apr 2015 19:03 #141815 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Tyres whats best
I run Malatesta Kaimans and have previously run Kumho KL71's on my Jimny.

On my previous Jimny I ran Colway A/T's and on my SJ we ran Colway MT's, which are like the old BFG pattern or Insa Turbo Dakars.

Now my Kaimans are bloody noisy and have terrible grip in the wet on road.

My Kumhos were okay off road and really good on road for a mud terrain, as were my old Colway MT's.

My Colway A/T's were standard size and just not big enough.

My advice would be to get some normal M/T's and not extreme patterned ones from what you've said. Perhaps Kumho KL71's or Maxxis Buckshots, BFG MT's in the new pattern.

You could get remoulds from Insa Turbo or Malatesta but I think that new tyres offer better value in terms of quality and longevity.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2015 19:27 #141817 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Tyres whats best
If you do fit mud and snow tyres there is an increased chance of aqua planing if you have a heavy right foot. It's not a big deal if you are ready for it. I wouldn't like you to be taken by surprise!

• hunter1084
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2015 20:38 #141825 by hunter1084
Replied by hunter1084 on topic Tyres whats best
Special tracks being remoulds will be larger than what they are meant to be aswell so that might be a problem on a non-lifted Jimny.
I run Maxxis Trepadors which I cant fault (Non competition model) low road noise but nuts in the mud, And our work Ute has Bridgestone Dueler M/T which have been able to get our Cruiser out of some sticky situations.

• Big Ben
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2015 21:28 #141830 by Big Ben
Replied by Big Ben on topic Tyres whats best
Another thumbs-up for the Maxxis Trepador here too ..............Good value, good off-road (and on) , and non-remould .

• Docmartin4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2015 18:01 #142172 by Docmartin4x4
Replied by Docmartin4x4 on topic Tyres whats best
Well worth having a word with Rus at Jimny bits he has just had in a shit load of tyres!
Mart

More
09 Apr 2015 18:33 #142174 by jackonlyjack

• Lozi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2015 14:26 #142299 by Lozi
Replied by Lozi on topic Tyres whats best

jackonlyjack wrote: yes i quite like the look of the

Black Star Guyane ;)

I just bought some black star guyane tyres from jimnybits in 215/80/15 for mine here's a couple pics of them

• Dyl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2015 16:04 #142303 by Dyl
Replied by Dyl on topic Tyres whats best
If I was in your position again I would definitely buy mud tyres rather than the all terrain tyres I went with.

A set of BFG's would be my choice as they are apparently pretty good on road also.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2015 18:27 #142310 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Tyres whats best
Muds drive fine on the road despite reports they are horrible. I have Marix Pumas which are basically Insa Sahara's. The only problem will be wear on tarmac, mine have gone down noticeably in about 3k miles so you might want some roadies and just swap them over for off road.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds