BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did the postman bring today

More
18 Jan 2019 18:03 #201079 by helijohn
For some reason a U has appeared in the thread topic title!!
Very weird.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2019 18:13 #201081 by Scimike
Just delete it incase my fat fingers and the touch screen did it

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 Jan 2019 20:58 #201090 by Max Headroom
Welding Kit....

As if I haven't already got enough things to do! :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:

More
19 Jan 2019 00:59 #201116 by helijohn

Max Headroom wrote: Welding Kit....

As if I haven't already got enough things to do! :laugh:

Is it your first welder?

More
19 Jan 2019 10:36 #201126 by grumyoldjoe
Postman brought me some kit from BigJimny for my next service. Arrived in less than 24hrs from placing order. Great service chaps.

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

More
19 Jan 2019 10:43 - 19 Jan 2019 10:53 #201129 by Max Headroom

helijohn wrote: Is it your first welder?

Yes and no...
My father gave me his very powerful SIP mig welder some years ago which I found I wasn't using to justify the space it was taking up, and stupidly sold it for peanuts to a friend.
since then I often found myself continually borrowing one or getting someone else to weld stuff for me, so after much prevaricating thought it about time I bought my own before I start losing my friends!

I did a bit of gas and arc welding as well as spot-welding on a college course many moons ago in another life, but as a welder per se I don't have any real experience, or formal training

This kit seems pretty good quality and fits the bill for my purposes its also capable of taking an on-the-gun spool for alluminium welding something I want to have a go at

Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 10:53 by Max Headroom.

More
20 Jan 2019 00:20 #201196 by helijohn

Max Headroom wrote: Yes and no...

I sometimes hang on to stuff because I know the moment I get rid I'll need it.

I started off with a 12v brazing thing I got from my father. I like the no gas flux core myself. I had regular welders for years but hated striking the arc then along came the migs and I was liberated. lol

More
20 Jan 2019 10:54 - 20 Jan 2019 10:56 #201219 by Max Headroom

helijohn wrote: I sometimes hang on to stuff because I know the moment I get rid I'll need it.

Never a truer word spoken written!
Along with that statement I have also loaned people my stuff and never got it back - my own brother is the worst culprit.

I would fear a competent welder looking at my own welds :blush: :blush:

...But hopefully with all this expensive gear I'll have some motivation to do better. :dry: :side:

Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 10:56 by Max Headroom.

More
20 Jan 2019 18:18 #201239 by sniper

Max Headroom wrote:

helijohn wrote: I sometimes hang on to stuff because I know the moment I get rid I'll need it.

Never a truer word spoken written!
Along with that statement I have also loaned people my stuff and never got it back - my own brother is the worst culprit.

I would fear a competent welder looking at my own welds :blush: :blush:

...But hopefully with all this expensive gear I'll have some motivation to do better. :dry: :side:

I'm a multi coded, multi process 6GR pipe welder, welded owt from 20thou to 40mm and now I have to pay someone to do my welding......... Imagine how much that hurts......

Still the pacemaker keeps me alive :blush:

sniper

More
20 Jan 2019 19:53 #201250 by Max Headroom
Yes Sniper, well actually no! - I can't imagine the frustration that must cause you to be honest. :(

More
20 Jan 2019 23:49 #201280 by helijohn

Max Headroom wrote: I would fear a competent welder looking at my own welds :blush: :blush:

The main thing is that it is mechanically strong. If it needs to look pretty then i get my grinder out.;) Most of my welding tends to be bloody awful with some nice work now and then but fortunately it is in out of sight places or gets covered with something - even paint helps!:laugh:
I was once told (I do a lot with wood too) putty and paint makes a carpenter what he ain't. Same with welding.
I got some gas weld wire from Lidl today - can't resist hoarding stocks cos I never know when the welder is gonna come out and get used for hours. :woohoo:

More
21 Jan 2019 06:15 #201284 by Max Headroom

helijohn wrote: I was once told (I do a lot with wood too) putty and paint makes a carpenter what he ain't. Same with welding.

Its the same in aviation (to a certain degree) we try to get our hands on 10 gauge paint to hide crap rivets :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds