× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Feb 2024 16:54 #254198 by Lambert
Have you cleared the mounting faces of the wheels? My spare wheels were a swine for that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2024 19:13 - 10 Feb 2024 20:16 #254205 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
I did (there was some foil masking tape left on there).

Googling suggests many tyre balancing machines can't cope with the heavy tread of an AT tyre.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2024 20:16 by rogerzilla.

More
10 Feb 2024 22:22 #254210 by DrRobin
Are these alloys especially light? 300g sounds a lot and Geolandars aren’t especially chunky not compared with Maxxis or BFG, I never had an issue with my Geolandars or any other Jimny tyre I had balanced and nothing like 300g on a wheel.

What about the rims are they true? If the rims are ok, it must be the tyres, perhaps time to reject them. I am sure that the tyre fitted them in the right place, they usually have a white or red dot that is aligned/opposite the valve.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2024 06:59 - 11 Feb 2024 07:02 #254213 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
These are Bridgestone Dueler AT002 - I wanted Geolandar G015s but they've stopped making those in 195/80R15.  The Bridgestones don't have the yellow or red dots.

The alloys have just been checked for straightness at the refurbishers.  It's also unlikely that all four would be bent.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2024 07:02 by rogerzilla.

More
11 Feb 2024 07:21 #254215 by mlines
When I got ours done the tyre fitter said the issue was that adhesive weights don't have the same weight density as clip-ons so make it difficult to balance on alloys compared to using clip on weights on steels. Even on my range rover with fast road tyres they have had to use quite a few weights to get balance

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2024 07:49 #254216 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Re:Re:What did you do to your jimny today?
I said they could use clip-on weights on the inner face if they wanted, although they didn't.  I think the big advantage is that they're closer to the circumference so you need less weight for the same effect.

I think the job just needs a better fitter.

More
11 Feb 2024 12:42 #254227 by jackonlyjack
@ rogerzilla like i said dyna beads are the best option
you will never go out of balance for the life of the tyres
not the cheapest option but no weights to look unsightly on your rims
these can also be transferred to new tyres when the time comes
although 195 15 are not listed 215/70/15-215/75/15 would put yours right in the range 
I have used these in 225/75/16-195/80/16-now in 7.50R16 over the past 7 years with no issues 
www.dynabeads.co.uk/dynabeads_4x4.php

Jack

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2024 13:20 - 12 Feb 2024 15:15 #254245 by rogerzilla
I went and sat in it!

The mesh needs to go and the partition needs to be moved back as well, or removed.  And I'm not tall at 5'10".

Question: how far back can you move the partition (as in Martin's YouTube video) before the seat chafes on the brackets rather than the partition itself?  My guess is that 30mm of extra recline at the headrest will be nowhere near enough, so the whole lot will need to come off.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 15:15 by rogerzilla.

More
12 Feb 2024 18:30 #254251 by Man of Kent
Finally got round to fitting the snorkel I’d ordered from Spain, and mounted a 20” led lightbar on my bullbar.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2024 19:01 #254254 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic What did you do to your jimny today?
Etyres sent me to a different fitter, who balanced the "problem" wheels in ten minutes using no more than 40g per wheel.  Bizarre.

More
12 Feb 2024 19:29 - 12 Feb 2024 19:31 #254255 by jlines
My blue one doesn’t feature in the video but we removed the grill as I don’t need it but kept the bottom half but moved it behind with a spacer put in place. This allowed my seat further back and is now in line with how my SZ5 seat is but if it was to go back more it would hit the bottom half of the panel which is sharper so would damage the seat so if you would probably need to remove the bottom half. I couldn’t tell you if it would be ok for you. I could measure it compared to the black one we have which is still in stock form so you can see what difference there is. Also despite me removing the grill when it was new my seats still have the indents from where it touched the grill :( 
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 19:31 by jlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogerzilla

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2024 12:43 #254258 by rogerzilla
Is there any potential regulatory problem with removing the partition?  MoT as it's a van?

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds