× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

trailer and youngish drivers

• nicho
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 10:52 #44660 by nicho
trailer and youngish drivers was created by nicho
im i right in thinking that a can only tow sumet upto 750kg unless i do some sort of test im 28 and passed in 2001.thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 10:59 #44661 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: trailer and youngish drivers
Not sure if this has been done before but it may be useful to some ....

I have extensive knowledge on this issue and already have a trailer towing clinic HERE

Trailers over 3500 kgs plated MAM weight come under different rules which is why all the trailers towed by B class vehicles , those of 3.5 tonnes and under, are not plated at more than 3500 kgs or 3.5 tonnes MAM

Trailers without plates use the total of the TYRE LOAD RATINGS to determine the MAM.
A rating of 66 on 4 tyres would give a MAM of 1200 kgs.

Vehicles in the B licence category will have the following information on a plate in the vehicle, in the handbook or on the V5 form.
Information can also be found on many internet vehicle specification sites.
Unladen or Kerb weight - although there is a slight difference in the two it is not that much
GVW - the max weight the vehicle can weigh when fully loaded
GTW - the max weight the vehicle and trailer can ACTUALLY weigh when added together. This does not refer to the total of the vehicle GWV and trailer MAM weights.
Towing capacity - this is the ACTUAL weight that can be towed by the vehicle - it does not mean the trailer MAM weight.
None of the above weights must be exceeded

FOR B+E LICENCES
Where a towing capacity is listed then this would be a legal example:-
CAR has GVW of 2000 and a towing capacity of 1800
TRAILER has a MAM of 3500 and an unladen weight of 1000
The trailer can be loaded with a maximum weight of 800

Where there is not a towing capacity listed then the GTW is used
GTW minus the GVW does not give the towing capacity unless the vehicle is fully laden
EXAMPLE: -
VAN has GVW of 3500 and GTW of 6000
TRAILER has MAM of 3500
The van and trailer can weigh 3000 each and be legal

FOR B LICENCES
The Gov sites are not that good at explaining this so I have managed to find a simple way of determining whether a driver can tow something on a B only licence -

To tow over 750 kgs with a B licence you need to say NO to the following:-
Is the plated MAM of the trailer more than the UNLADEN/KERB/EMPTY weight of the towing vehicle?
Does the GVW of the towing vehicle plus the plated MAM of the trailer add up to more than 3500 kgs?
Is the ACTUAL weight of the empty trailer and its load more than the listed towing capacity?

Example of legally towing over 750 kgs with a B licence - made up figures but not that far from what can be found....

Towing vehicle -
Unladen/empty/kerb = 1500
GVW = 2000
Towing capacity = 1800

Trailer -
Unladen/empty = 800
MAM = 1500 (Perhaps originally a 2000 MAM but downplated by manufacturer so it conforms to B licence towing)

Load trailer with 700 max

Reasons it is legal for towing on a B licence -
The 1500 MAM of the trailer is not more than the 1500 unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle
The 2000 GVW of the towing vehicle plus the 1500 MAM of the trailer is not more than 3500
The towing capacity/actual weight being towed does not exceed 1800

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Caravan weights work on a slightly different system as they take into account the recommended (not legal) 85% towing rule

I hope this helps those who are unsure of the rules

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 11:00 #44662 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: trailer and youngish drivers
I had to do my B+E to be able to tow my jimny with my L200, manily as the L200 is nearly 2.8T with me in alone!

More
21 Jul 2012 14:23 - 21 Jul 2012 14:24 #44674 by Alan16ac
I am completely confused after reading that! :S
When I get my Jimny I want to be able to tow my little trailer which weighs about 90kg. Can I tow that?
I passed in 2009z

Sent from my iPhone using klatapaT.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2012 14:24 by Alan16ac.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 14:28 #44676 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: trailer and youngish drivers
look at your licence i passed in 1997 i only have it as a rovisional so in other words you need to take a test

More
21 Jul 2012 14:43 - 21 Jul 2012 15:10 #44677 by gilburton
To keep it simple the Jimny weighs app 1150kgs
I believe on your B licence you can tow up to a combined weight ie car and trailer 3500kgs this includes whatever you are towing and loaded weight of car and trailer,people etc.. Basically you will be ok with small camping trailers,trailer tents etc. If you want to start pulling anything heavier then be careful you don't go over 3.5 tonnes total.
This is only for vehicles that can tow that amount the Jimny can't it;s officially 350 (unbraked) 1300kgs(braked) but I would say around 950kgs or less.
If your trailer is only 90kgs even loaded and you have a B licence then I can't see any problem.As long as the load is safely tied or covered I can't see a Jimny towing a small trailer being stopped by the police unless you were involved in an accident
Don't forget it's 50mph on A roads and 60mph on dual carriageways/motorways and you can't use the outside third or fast lane either although I see a lot of drivers ignoring all these rules.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2012 15:10 by gilburton. Reason: correction

More
21 Jul 2012 16:38 #44683 by Alan16ac
I'm aware of the speed rules and I see an awful lot of drivers ignoring them! Idiots!

Anyway I only want to use my little trailer for trips to the skip so doubt I'll ever exceed 200kgs.

Can't tow with my current car the Mini as it doesn't have a tow rating and there's a bloody exhaust in the way! Lol.

More
21 Jul 2012 17:59 - 21 Jul 2012 18:17 #44686 by gilburton
Apologies I thought you were a beginner as far as towing was concerned.
My daughter has the cooper so can tow 600kgs but I take it you have the cooper S
Fortunately I'm old :whistle: and I'm a class 1 HGV so no towing problems but the law is getting more complicated..
I can see the sense for safety reasons but why can't they just speak in plain English :laugh:
ps I'm getting confused I thought I was answering nicho but no matter the answers the same.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2012 18:17 by gilburton. Reason: correction

More
21 Jul 2012 18:02 #44687 by mcjimny
Simplest answer to any towing question. If in doubt, take the test!
You can tow up to 750kg unbraked on your B licence before all the 3500kg stuff comes into it for over that.
The only reason people get confused is that they're sailing close to the wind on a B licence, usually as they want to tow a car, as said though remove all doubt and do the test.
Hopefully we can get away with this thread not attracting "ROG"!

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
21 Jul 2012 19:18 #44691 by facade

Alan16ac wrote:
Anyway I only want to use my little trailer for trips to the skip so doubt I'll ever exceed 200kgs.

If you mean to the tip recycling centre, most councils won't let you take a trailer or a pickup unless you prebook days in advance.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
21 Jul 2012 21:12 #44695 by mcjimny

facade wrote:

Alan16ac wrote:

If you mean to the tip recycling centre, most councils won't let you take a trailer or a pickup unless you prebook days in advance.

I'm sure its different elsewhere but my local one allows small trailers but big/trade trailers are by permit. Unless you're name is "smith" and live on the local "site" and then everyone is looking the other way!

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
21 Jul 2012 21:35 #44699 by Alan16ac

facade wrote:

Alan16ac wrote:

Always take it there, not had a problem so far.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds