BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Buying my first Jimny

• Lukie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2012 20:20 #32492 by Lukie
Buying my first Jimny was created by Lukie
I'm hoping to buy a second hand unmodified Jimny, 04 or 05 plate. What should I be checking when I'm test driving them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2012 20:27 #32493 by zerez
Replied by zerez on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
Out of the normal tests you sould pay attention to the gear.
The sybchro is often broken causing non smooth gear change, mainly while changing from the second to the first gear.

More
02 Feb 2012 20:44 - 02 Feb 2012 23:23 #32498 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
Fifth Gear UK Suzuki Jimny review

HANDLING - Short of trying to direct a flock of sheep down a road you couldn't endure a more woolly driving experience. The Jimny suffers from vague steering, poor stability at speed and a woeful lack of grip.

COMFORT - Imagine trying to ride a pnuematic drill pogo-style and you've got a fairly good idea of how well the Jimny deals with bumps and undulations. The cabin feels very low rent too - and the seating position is terrible.

QUALITY & RELIABILITY - Built to last - not that you'll want it to. Cabin materials are cheap and shiny.

PERFORMANCE - The Jimny's 1.3 litre petrol engine needs to be given a pasting to deliver anything approaching respectable acceleration. It's loud when used hard, too.

but there are 1500 BigJimny members and thousands of non-members who love em :kiss: - so all the reviewers know Jack S**t, OK so it's POO on the Nürburgring but who gives a rat's ... just put your gum shield in, zip up your pockets and :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

buying a used Suzuki Jimny 6 page mini-pdf guide

if you haven't been put off yet, see if you can stretch to the a 2005+ VVT preferably the VVT+ with part leather - wait until April/May after the chance of any snow and prices will drop considerably

check 4wd light comes on and stays on (not flashing) - select 4wd with wheels in straight line and drive a short distance in a straight line (don't turn corners on tarmac with 4wd engaged).

check for any wobble when driving - pay particular attention to 43-47mph

check for rust - lift rear jack storage tray

for the age you're looking at - don't bother with if it if it's not got a full service history (loads about that have) - also try to 1 or max 2 owners - will have had a better life, should also be looking to get one with under 60.000 miles at that age (this type of car should do less than typical annual 10 to 12k miles pa)

loads of other stuff but I'm bored now.

good luck
;)
Last edit: 02 Feb 2012 23:23 by Halford.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2012 22:38 #32509 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
Very good advice Halford B)

More
02 Feb 2012 23:44 #32518 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
What do you plan to do with it, keep it standard or modify it, it makes a difference as to what you buy!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lukie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2012 19:58 #32857 by Lukie
Replied by Lukie on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
Thanks for all the advice, especially the article - really helpful. I'm hoping it will keep me on the road, rather than off the road, especially in this weather (I live on a steep hill), so not planning any modifications. Read the Top Gear review a while ago - just what you would expect from Top Gear!!

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2012 21:03 #32872 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
All I'd add to the advice already given is to check the swivel joints for leaks - put the car on full lock each way and you can see them quite easily.

More
07 Feb 2012 10:38 #32897 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Buying my first Jimny
As you don;t plan to take it off road, I would buy the youngest one you can afford with the Variable timing, ABS etc, although the way the earlier rear seats split and fold all the way down can be a big advantage if that bothers you as the younger models seats don't split.

Someone else with more knowledge can fill you in on that.

ABS may be a good thing to have in a road going Jimny that is intended for such.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds