BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?

More
14 Sep 2011 21:40 #21916 by kirkynut
Toolwise, I would recommend getting a Halfords tool kit - their largest socket set in the plastic carry case. It has all the socket and spanner sizes you need with the popular ones in ratchet spanner too. I would also then invest in a cheap second set of spanners as you often need two of the same size where you can't fit a socket. Just don't use the cheap ones to to the undoing, just to keep the other end still!

Then everyting is kept together and organised, unlike you describe in an ammo box. I've done the ammo box thing in my old SJ and did not enjoy it. When things have gone wrong and you need your tools, being able to lay them out, put them back as you've finished with them so they are there again in 10 mins when you need them again is so much better than swearing cos you can't find the blessed things! It's always as the rain comes in and darkness falls too!

This does not include grips, pliers, ties, nut splitters (I've found these useful for rusted on nuts but get good quality ones or you'll waste your money), ball joint splitters and everyting else Simon has suggested. I keep all those in a seperate smaller toolbox.

In respect of spares. I would change all bearings and bushes and bolts before you go. This includes radius arm bushes and bolts aswell as shock bushes and bolts and Panhard Rod bushes and bolts. You will therefore grease them up and know they will come undone if you need to do so in the field. Bolts will sheer otherwise. I would take a selection of these bolts, bearing in mind that Suzuki use a metric fine thread that is tricky to get in some UK fasteners, let alone in remote places.

I can provide you with Suzuki part numbers for Radius Arm bolts from Suzuki. Shock bolts can be replaced with regular metric threaded bolts for easiness and I can get you ADK replacement Radius Arm Bush part numbers if your local motor factors can't or Camskill can't.

Make sure the front Panhard Rod to Axle bolt can be undone. It's a captive nut on the axle that you can't replace if the thread goes or the bolt sheers in it. I have changed axles after the previous owner stripped the thread in the captive nut and used a tack of wld to hold the bolt in - which fell out on an offroad site 2 hours from home!!! I have the part number for this bolt if you need it.

Change your kingpin bearings and get spared from Martin to take - they wear quickly.

Wheel bearings need a press to push out of the front hub and back in and need to be ground off the rear shafts with their retainers and pushed back on with a press likewise - change them before you go so you start with new ones and take a spare of each. Martin is the best source. Use new seals as you do so and new ones come with new bearings from Martin.

Change all your transmission oils and take some spare. I have found Motaquip do a transmission oil suitable for all parts of the transmission on a Jimny in 5 litres and Machine Mart do a great giant syringe type pump to get it in quickly with.

Consider braided brake hoses, even if you are not lifting the car. They won't be damaged or decay like rubber ones - ask Dave @ LLAMA 4x4. Take brake fluid and a one man easibleed type kit.

Check all brake linings are good before you go and take spare front pads. If you don't go through muddy crap, the rear shoes if new will last your trip out with plenty left. Start the journey with new front discs that have no lip and are not warped. It's no sports car, pattern ones will do fine.

Keep the car as standard as possible to ease getting replacement parts, depending on the terrain you intend to travel on - standard Jimny's are crap in ruts due to the low chassis end radius arm mounts.

LED head torches are a godsend when working on a car in crap conditions too - they use little battery power too!

My tool choice and storage does not fall in line with your under the bonnet theory though - but I could not stand a messy toolbox again.

Hope this helps and if you need part numbers for anything send me a PM.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DVs-Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2011 18:44 #21955 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
Cheers guys for all the replies, much appreciated :)

More
15 Sep 2011 20:37 #21960 by mcjimny
I would echo the thoughts on storage of tools. I would want an organised box that can be removed from the car and be next to you. You would soon get sick of having to keep walking around the car to get a different tool.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2011 21:59 #21963 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
Halfords sell a tool kit in an Aluminium case which contains virtually everything you will need. Most of the tools are pretty good quality. The supplied torch was too rubbish for words so was replaced with a Mag Light.

I bought it as an emergency kit to keep in the car but it has saved the day many times while competing.

Totally agree about an LED head torch. Get a decent one (Petzl for example) it will pay dividends eventually.

Si

More
16 Sep 2011 15:50 #21987 by supergaz
I'd drill out the rear shock bottom mounts on the axle, If the lower shock bolt is to shear then It is pain to drill out. If you drill them out and put bolts straight through, then they can be knocked straight out if they shear. And you can then just put a new spare bolt straight in.
;-)

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2011 18:21 #22007 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
Hi Kirkynut,
I agree with your comments re: my ammunition box idea and it being untidy, but space for me will be at an absolute premium, so any spare space must be pressed into service.
A 10 week trip with camping kit / clothes/ spares plus jerry cans for fuel / water etc. will fill the rear of any Jimny. I also agree with your idea of a unified tool kit in a handy case, it will help to know what should be where and if a tool is missing. However I would advocate the use of tool rolls for other spanners and miscellaneous tools. Some very good suggestions. Thank you.

• Juggernaut
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2012 01:53 #37363 by Juggernaut
Replied by Juggernaut on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
Okay gentlemen, I'm in the same situation but reversed! I'm in Germany planning a trip this summer to the UK. I always pack a good tool bag and have tons of spare parts, but I saw mlanes say something about needing a vest in France. That got me thinking, is there any safety gear I need in the UK? Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking!!!

More
12 Apr 2012 02:04 #37364 by kirkynut
There is nothing you really need for the UK. Your car needs to have Insurance, be road worthy and safe and your German driving license covers you in the UK.

So you should legally be ready to go!

Where in the UK are you coming to?

Your English is good!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Juggernaut
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2012 13:39 #37412 by Juggernaut
Replied by Juggernaut on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
I'd like to get up to the Isle of Man, Yorkshire, and Blackpool. I'd love to go watch a live taping of Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job! I'm trying to stay out of London, cause I'm not a big fan of cities. My English is good because I'm a damn Merican, or Yank if you prefer! :D

More
12 Apr 2012 15:09 #37413 by kirkynut
Ah, I see, you'll be lucky to see a Live recording of Top Gear as there is a waiting list about 8 years long, for which I must be getting near the top of!

Kirkynut

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2012 15:12 #37414 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Extended trip - Europe. What do I need?
You could always fit a large roof basket/roofbox for extra storage the roofboxes being more secure of course. Oh if your Jimny is seriously lifted you might need a ladder to access it :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds