BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Out Last Night .... a few Pix

More
16 Jul 2009 07:56 - 16 Jul 2009 08:04 #1011 by ooky_123
Went out on short notice last night onto the Plain.
found lots of nice water and mud ... not too thick, but sufficient to have some fun.. and on a genuine Byway (BOAT) too :)

Next on the List of jobes to do I think has to be Axel breathers .. Im still servicing the origionals and they are still working, but for how long ???

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Last edit: 16 Jul 2009 08:04 by ooky_123.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2009 15:55 #1027 by kirkynut
You're determined to test that snorkel!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Jul 2009 09:58 #1038 by ooky_123
You wouldnt believe me if I told you the truth ...

More
20 Jul 2009 10:02 #1039 by ooky_123
SHould add, no water ingress through the door seals, the gear gators ... only had a little around teh bottom of the rear door seal

More
21 Jul 2009 10:31 #1046 by kirkynut
Flipping Heck!!! Did you keep driving ahead in that last picture?

Do you go with anyone else or on your own? I take it all the sensors, including your new ones didn't mind being that wet? Have you sealed them up?

I respect your bottle / madness! You decide which!?!

Looks jolly good fun though!!! I think those axle breathers are a good idea at this point!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 Jul 2009 10:49 #1048 by ronm
Well impressed, snorkel or periscope ???????? Do you do anything to protect the alternator

Ronm

More
21 Jul 2009 20:01 #1055 by ooky_123
I always keep driving ahead :) .... gotta keep that bow wave :) Incidently, I did keep driving .. I actually turned around and went though a second time for more photos !!!.

Yes, I think the axel breathers will be going on as soon as the weather breaks .. almog with a change of axel oil !!.

Currently all we do for preparation is give the engine a thorough coating of WD40 after each cleaning session, and before we go out to play. This has so far been all we need to do.

We flush the radiator with a hose when we get a chance, and also pressure wash the engine bay as part of our cleaning regieme.

I have some Halfrauds spray grease, that I use on my Motorbike chain. this is excellent atuff and just doesnt wash off. great for electrical connectors and plugs. So far we havnt had an issue with the electrics , but as mentioned, the rear door seal needs some attention at the bottom join.

We usually go out with a Toyota Hilux Surf monster truck, and 2 Discoverys. the one Disco, known as the "Hulk" as its green and rather heavily modified is usually the first vehicle to attempt any obstacles.. if he can cross, then the Jimny will not have issues.
The second Disco is on standard suspension, but Mud Tyres. this is used for additional recovery (although I did kill the Jimnys clutch whilst recovering the second Jimny a few months ago).
The Toyota is the oddball. Running a mixture of MT's on the rear and AT's on the front, this goes almost anywhere in 2WD, and is megga wide so he is actually able to make his own tracks when it gets really rutted. Currently the only vehicle without a snorkle, the Toyota still holds its own.

We occasionally have a fully kitted Defender 90 come play with us too. this is a serious piece of kit but his atendance is not always gauranteed as he lives about 90 minutes away.

The Plain / North Tidworth is our usual hunting ground and now the weather is wet again, the mud is certainly sticky ! :)

More
22 Jul 2009 11:53 #1058 by kirkynut
I was gonna say you'd be brave to try that without some help if it all went wrong. You certainly seem to have fun! Look forward to seeing more pics in the future.

Kirkynut

More
26 Jul 2009 18:31 #1067 by Liz
Great pics - thanks!

More
26 Jul 2009 22:12 - 27 Jul 2009 06:57 #1068 by ooky_123
Well weve just come back from another 9 plus hours of off road fun. This time we wandered over to the "German Village" and around some Green lanes as opposed to our usual mud holes.

The going was very hard on the jimny today, with a lot of the bumps resulting in bottoming out and there were a few occasions where the bodywork abd the tyres came into contact.
Again, the jimny was unstopable, both at wading 5 ft puddles and also crossing some pretty hairey terrain.

The only downfalls were .. Some wheel arch liner clips have been "lost" and this has resulted in the tyres touching the liner on occasion.
2" of suspension travel is starting to become an issue and more travel would be nice ..
We were wondering if its possible to use those 2! poly spacers to give an extra bit of lift / drop? or simply just swapping the +2" suspension for some more radicle +3".

Also, has anyone thought of a small 1" body lift ? just enough to give extra clearance, but not too big ? would it be worth it ?
Clearance and articulation are starting to become issues.

Pix of todays outing below.

Last edit: 27 Jul 2009 06:57 by ooky_123.

More
27 Jul 2009 13:21 #1069 by jonplace
Excellent pics there ooky

i'm in the same position. like all blokes i just need that extra inch :laugh:
I'm running +2" rhino ray springs with 29" tyres which still rub slightly despite wheel arch trimming.
i tried those orange spring spacers (38mm) but to be honest i didnt like them and took them off. I feel that they restricted articulation as they dont leave the shocks with much more travel downwards. You can buy shock extensions for the front but the rears would need the axel mounts moving or an adaptor plate making. I thought about a 2" body lift but i'm trying to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible (no roll cage) so the body lift would have to be the least amount possible to clear. A 1" body lift would be ideal - cheap and doesnt disturb the current suspension setup which works well, but some people say a bit pointless

More
10 Aug 2009 20:34 - 10 Aug 2009 20:39 #1113 by ooky_123
Ooo tyhat looks like fun ..
I hear you and agree with the bodylift .. I only wanna get an extra 1" clearance.

Hmmm maybe have a chat to KAP ... or find someone who has access to precision cutting equipment that can chop down a 2" lift

The only thing missing from Hampshire / Wiltshire .. decient Hills :) however there are other hazards of playing "down south ..."

Last edit: 10 Aug 2009 20:39 by ooky_123.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds