BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Jeep like Angry Eyes grill for Gen 4 - where to buy this one?

More
12 Feb 2022 12:12 #241817 by GreyJimny
Hi guys

There is a great grill floating around that I am interested putting on my grey Jimny Lite when it arrives here in Melbourne.  But I cant find where to buy it. The guys in this Youtube video say its unbranded and they got it on Ebay Japan (but Ive also seen other comments of theirs saying it was from Yahoo.jp). 

Has anyone seen it and know where to find it? 

FYI. I got a quote from PPA Audio in Melbourne (local Repco store suggested them) to upgrade the CD Player to a Kenwood headunit and the costs are: AUD$439 for the install kit (facia plate, wiring adaptors etc), AUD$699 for the Kenwood DMX8020S (Android Auto, CarPlay, mirroring, reversing camera and dash camera inputs, recording from dash cameras (?) etc etc) which includes a free reserving camera and $250 for the labour (installing the reversing camera is extra).  A bit rich for my blood but might help others struggling to understand how to upgrade the Jimny Lite. Its possible the standard (non-Lite model) Jimny 7" infotainment unit would be cheaper to upgrade because the facia may be (?) able to be reused.  ppacaraudio.com.au/product/car-stereo-up...uki-jimny-2018-2021/
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2022 13:05 #241820 by Gadget

FYI. I got a quote from PPA Audio in Melbourne (local Repco store suggested them) to upgrade the CD Player to a Kenwood headunit and the costs are: AUD$439 for the install kit (facia plate, wiring adaptors etc), AUD$699 for the Kenwood DMX8020S (Android Auto, CarPlay, mirroring, reversing camera and dash camera inputs, recording from dash cameras (?) etc etc) which includes a free reserving camera and $250 for the labour (installing the reversing camera is extra).  A bit rich for my blood but might help others struggling to understand how to upgrade the Jimny Lite. Its possible the standard (non-Lite model) Jimny 7" infotainment unit would be cheaper to upgrade because the facia may be (?) able to be reused.  ppacaraudio.com.au/product/car-stereo-up...uki-jimny-2018-2021/

When I fitted my replacement headunit, all the wiring adaptors and replacement fascia cost about £160 (AUD$300 ish). Took a couple of hours to fit, most of which was spent trying to figure out how the steering wheel control adaptor needed to be wired. Pretty straightforward overall, anyone with a basic knowledge of wiring should be ok to do it.

More
13 Feb 2022 02:51 - 13 Feb 2022 03:25 #241830 by GreyJimny
I found the grill.... on eBay just like they said. h t t p s : / /  w w w . e b a y . c o m /itm/334298217648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Next issue. Is the restriction of the grill openings potentially going to cause overheating issues (and warranty headaches) in a hot climate (it gets to 42c occasionally here). Id be leaving the original bumper on it. See attached comparison of grill opening dimensions Looks like same airflow as Suzuki's custom grill. 

Also, could the restricted light opening cause road worthy issues? 

AUD$700 including shipping and one coat of paint. So maybe $1200 fitted. Pricy but nice. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2022 03:25 by GreyJimny.

More
13 Feb 2022 12:02 #241837 by Scimike
I like it!
As to your other questions I suspect only the manufacturers "may" know.

But my opinion is:
No, can't see that it will cause any overheating issuesThe light "covers " are very similar to those available on the G3 and these are ok / pass UK vehicle inspection with no problems, so again can't see any issues.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Feb 2022 03:17 #241844 by GreyJimny
I called a DoT/VicRoads accredited vehicle engineer (a "VASS") and showed him photos of the grill and he said there would be no issues. No need to even talk to a basic Road Worthy Tester. Just do it and forget about it. Of course I didnt pay for the advice (I offered), nor was it in writing, but these guys are the pros.

His logic was:
* the luminescence of the headlight diminishes on the outer fringe, and so the 'eye lid' would not impact the lighting substantially.
* he was more concerned about the side to side visibility angles of the head lights and the turn lights. But after looking at the standard grill, he said this grill is no different in that regards.
* Someone could argue about changes pedestrian safety on impact but that would be pretty petty.

That's enough of a green light for me.

More
17 Aug 2022 07:42 - 17 Aug 2022 09:55 #244556 by GreyJimny
I finally got to fit the 'Angry Bad Face' grill, and here's the final product. 
  • Purchase cost = AUD$550.
  • Postage (normally included but Japan Post STILL has embargoed Air Mail parcels to Australia) = $150.
  • Professional painting. Sanding. Plastic priming. Two tone premium paints (Ford Meteor Grey + Satin Black) = $350
  • Fitting by myself = 1 beer
If I was painting it again I'd do the eyebrow and eyelids in a grey between the Meteor Grey and Sukuki's Medium Grey. Without the reflection of the clouds, these areas are very black and look a bit plasticy. Ill be experimenting in the future and might respray this area. 

Note part of the overall pun is my surname is Bird. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2022 09:55 by GreyJimny. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds