BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Project Sink or Swim

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2015 20:46 #146727 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Project Sink or Swim
As I recall the Tim Dutton amphibious Jimny was a disaster resulting in a court case. Good luck with this although I think Jimny will perform best as a terrestrial machine. If I was planning an amphicar I'd be looking at the Argocat for inspiration

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daft Waders
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2015 20:55 #146728 by Daft Waders
Replied by Daft Waders on topic Project Sink or Swim
Can't believe your jimny is way better condition than mine and your making it into a f***ing boat :laugh:

Can't wait to see the out come, your crazy :silly:

More
27 Jun 2015 21:18 #146730 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:Project Sink or Swim
Was it a cat D? Can I be cheeky and ask you what it set you back to buy?

I often look on copart at jimnys and most are knackered on there and still fetch good money

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
27 Jun 2015 21:20 - 27 Jun 2015 21:25 #146731 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Project Sink or Swim
They've been making them for years ? First based on the SJ and then on the jimny. Rhino Ray used to get new Jimny body shells from them once they had taken all the mechanicals off them. I've not heard anything bad about them, have you ?

EDIT.. just googled it, court case in the Lake District ...

Gary
Last edit: 27 Jun 2015 21:25 by funkyjimny.

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2015 23:47 - 27 Jun 2015 23:52 #146737 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Project Sink or Swim

trextr7monkey wrote: As I recall the Tim Dutton amphibious Jimny was a disaster resulting in a court case. Good luck with this although I think Jimny will perform best as a terrestrial machine. If I was planning an amphicar I'd be looking at the Argocat for inspiration

Tim is very upfront and open about the court case and even publishes it on the website.

Tim Dutton Court Case

You can read it yourself and google other stories, I've meet the man and seen the machine and made my own decision. to date he has made about 230 ampibous cars, and hundreds possibly thousands other other kit cars with one notable court case. Every story has two side. You can make your own decision, I have!

I've driven argocats both on land and water and while they are an amazing go anywhere machine there really not ideal for driving long distance etc.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2015 23:52 by ZukracerV6.

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2015 23:56 #146738 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Re:Project Sink or Swim

minibbb wrote: Was it a cat D? Can I be cheeky and ask you what it set you back to buy?

I often look on copart at jimnys and most are knackered on there and still fetch good money

I happy to say! With the buyers fee, I paid £2,600 its a CAT C previous repair

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
28 Jun 2015 08:00 #146744 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re:Project Sink or Swim
Yes I read the details on another site which seemed a bit odd, selling something not fit for purpose on sea or land when he has built and sold so many, maybe it was just a 'Friday' car and a picky owner?

I remember the kit cars he used to sell 30 years ago, nearly bought one at one time!

Good luck with it and have fun. You have a PM from me.

Gary

More
28 Jun 2015 09:09 #146749 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Project Sink or Swim

funkyjimny wrote: Yes I read the details on another site which seemed a bit odd, selling something not fit for purpose on sea or land when he has built and sold so many, maybe it was just a 'Friday' car and a picky owner?

It's worth reading the bit on his site. He sent out a standard car which was to be inspected, returned and then adapted to be used by a company as a tour boat for paying customers- obviously a few more safety features required for that sort of thing. They sued him before he'd even made the adaptations. So it wasn't the finished product for that particular application, and that's where the 'not fit for purpose' bit arose from.

More
28 Jun 2015 19:32 #146802 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Project Sink or Swim
The courts obviously didn't agree with Tim Dutton's version of events but it does seem a bit strange that they have made so many, apparently without any other major incident. The earlier SJ version was being manufactured in the US.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2015 20:16 #146808 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Project Sink or Swim
Dutton version doesn’t tally with court version and as said he should have known what he was doing and been capable of communcating clearly with clients.
His kit cars tended to be well designed and functional but they were without exception fugly and lacking style and aerodynamics so perhaps boats might be a better bet!

• JimnyGlenn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2015 05:46 - 12 Jul 2015 15:39 #146906 by JimnyGlenn
Replied by JimnyGlenn on topic Project Sink or Swim

ZukracerV6 wrote:

trextr7monkey wrote: As I recall the Tim Dutton amphibious Jimny was a disaster resulting in a court case. Good luck with this although I think Jimny will perform best as a terrestrial machine. If I was planning an amphicar I'd be looking at the Argocat for inspiration

Tim is very upfront and open about the court case and even publishes it on the website.

Tim Dutton Court Case

You can read it yourself and google other stories, I've meet the man and seen the machine and made my own decision. to date he has made about 230 ampibous cars, and hundreds possibly thousands other other kit cars with one notable court case. Every story has two side. You can make your own decision, I have!

I've driven argocats both on land and water and while they are an amazing go anywhere machine there really not ideal for driving long distance etc.

Well said mate. You have obviously done your research and sticking by your guns. If I had taken all the reviews the motoring press had said about the Jimny before I bought one I wouldn't have. Whereas I read the reviews of the people who had actually purchased one and they all loved them. I do believe sometimes you do have to go with your heart not your head. Hope the build turns out well for you. Dutton has created some amazing products, sure yours will be the same.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2015 15:39 by JimnyGlenn.

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2015 11:50 #147639 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Project Sink or Swim
Ok, the donor jimny has been stripped of a few parts like the transfer case, steering box, wiper mechanism, steering column, exhaust, propshafts and gear lever.

These will be modified to fit the Surf, the transfer case will have an extra power off take fitted to power the jet drive.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds