BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My Beast becoming a bush-basher

• jtayl153
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2014 11:02 #105169 by jtayl153
My Beast becoming a bush-basher was created by jtayl153
Hello all. New to this site.

I've got a Silver Suzuki Jimny, 2008, Manual (!!).

At the moment everything is stock (Exception of Alloy Wheels, tow bar and Pioneer Sat Nav) but I want to turn it into a true bush basher. Living in Australia, theres so many places to explore and only 4X4s will go there.

Here's my list of stuff I want to get done. I'm seeking any advice. If anyone has good or bad experiences with particular modifications and feedback in general for my ideas.

First off I need a Bull Bar. I'm looking at an ARB bull bar with a winch cage, places for spotties and CB antenna. The recovery points on the Jimny at the moment are not the best. Obviously the best place at the rear is the tow bar connection (Never the tow ball) but the point at the front looks a little sketchy. Im sure you know what I;m talking about - that little loop of metal. DOnt trust it to take a heavy load so bull bar is clearly the next best option.

Second - Winch. Undecided on which brand or capacity. Looking for advice on that matter. Obviously the Jimny is not a particularly heavy 4X4 with a GVM of 1.4ton but I want something that'll do the job if push comes to shove and could be used to pull other vehicles from the crapper.

Third - Performance chip & exhaust. I've heard mixed reviews about these. They're supposed to increase your power/bhp/torque etc whilst decreasing your fuel consumption and reducing your emissions and they change the sound of the engine. Sounds good but unsure of what type to get.

Snorkel. No explanation needed.

Suspension lift. My ground clearance is ~20cm at the moment. I want to raise it by another 10cm (4 inches) but unsure about whats too far and costs and effects it could have on drive train and etc.

Body lift of 2". Again, unsure of what effects this may have on handling and on brake lines and steering column etc.

Under-car Protection and Diff Covers. A friend of mine went off road to quite an easy track and managed to damage some of his engine components. Cost him thousands to repair. I figure under car and diff protection is an easy solution to a potentially huge problem.

Diff Air Lockers. For that extra hand off road.

Any advice/feedback/criticisms?

I've attached some pics of my beast below.

Cheers

Jake
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2014 11:23 #105170 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic My Beast becoming a bush-basher
the only way to increase ground clearance is with much bigger tyres, bigger tyres means the gear ratio gets screwed therefore you need a rocklobster transfer box to compensate. i think your asking alot to gain 4" of ground clearance tbh but i may be wrong.

chiping a 1.3 N/A engine is pretty pointless, if you want more power engine swap is the best bet.

you need extended brake lines with anything over a 2" suspension lift, a body lift you will need to extend steering column and not sure what else.

under armour is a much debated subject lol some say protect the bottom others say not to bother.......upto you really.

pleanty of info on here about winches, try a search ;)

sure others will be along to offer advice.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2014 11:52 #105172 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic My Beast becoming a bush-basher
I would say a transfer box guard is a must. Mine is heavily scored from laning so it has been worth getting. I also got a second hand fuel tank guard as the standard one was rotten.

The controversial one is radius arm guards. I have them but a lot of people say not to bother. Again my brackets have lots of dings so I say go for it.

Same again for diff guards. I dont have them but are on my list. Others will say don't bother :-D:-D:-D

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2014 11:58 #105173 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic My Beast becoming a bush-basher

GuardianAngel wrote: I would say a transfer box guard is a must. Mine is heavily scored from laning so it has been worth getting. I also got a second hand fuel tank guard as the standard one was rotten.

The controversial one is radius arm guards. I have them but a lot of people say not to bother. Again my brackets have lots of dings so I say go for it.

Same again for diff guards. I dont have them but are on my list. Others will say don't bother :-D:-D:-D

+1

• jtayl153
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2014 09:09 #108016 by jtayl153

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds