BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Not so grand design - a little off topic!

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 12:04 #22570 by X-Eng Simon
Not so grand design - a little off topic! was created by X-Eng Simon
This weekend, I'd planned to go to Wagtail - but waiting for some Laser Cutting, the Jimny wasn't quite drivable! Instead, I decided to build a roof over my ramp.

Planning restrictions limit the height of a 'car-port' roof to 2.5m - which above a four post ramp, is fairly useless - so I made the support legs telescopic!

Attachment Front.jpg not found

In the lowered position it is 2.47m tall and in the raised, 4.17m

Attachment side1.jpg not found

Attachment side2.jpg not found

The ramp can be locked in the upper most position with pins inserted through the holes or in any position inbetween with the screws shown.

Attachment Lock.jpg not found

The screws are also used to secure it to the ground to stop the wind turning it into a big kite!

The roof will be lifted by the ramp - and as such, it is very light to the extent that I could lift the whole structure on my own (without cladding). It's made from very thin walled 50mm box section plus tensioning wires to hold it rigid. According to the stress analysis, it should be able to support 1/2 Ton in the middle of the span - hopefully enough for the snow loading.

It will be clad (this evening) in 10mm twin wall polycarbonate sheet and I'm going to add a PVC curtain wall which will go up & down with the ramp / roof.

Now I'll be able to carry on welding in the rain - and it should improve relations with my neighbors!

Si
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 14:45 #22581 by Keefe
Si, That is bl00dy brilliant, I like your thinking.

Wish you were my neighbour! ;) :laugh:

I piggin' love it!!!!

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 15:16 #22588 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: Not so grand design - a little off topic!
Brilliant!!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 18:11 #22619 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Not so grand design - a little off topic!
ace lateral thinking B)

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2011 22:32 #22639 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Not so grand design - a little off topic!
Thanks chaps!
This evening while I was adding the polycarbonate roofing sheets, one of the people from the row of houses behind came and thanked me for obscuring my 'junk yard'! I quite like it myself - sitting in the lounge looking at the ramp and my used tyre collection! Now, I'll be the only one to benefit from the vista!

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2011 08:59 #22665 by darthloachie

X-Eng Simon wrote: Thanks chaps!
This evening while I was adding the polycarbonate roofing sheets, one of the people from the row of houses behind came and thanked me for obscuring my 'junk yard'! I quite like it myself - sitting in the lounge looking at the ramp and my used tyre collection! Now, I'll be the only one to benefit from the vista!

Si

put a nice little pirate flag up to keep the neighbour happy ;)

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2011 10:20 #22669 by X-Eng Simon
Hopefully I'll get less visits from the council in response to complaints that I'm running a business from home! If I were I could save thousands in rent & rates for my Units here!

I really wonder what they'll make of it when I raise the roof! I'm sure the council will be round to measure the height at some point.

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2011 14:44 #22677 by darthloachie
I bet that if you had an e-type or similar rather than an offroader the it would be a different matter!

you could try planting some conifers or trees but then I guess that would be another molehill to make a mountain of

More
27 Sep 2011 15:06 #22680 by mcjimny
There's always someone complaining. My thoughts - if you don't like it don't look.
If you're not rubbing peoples noses in it i fail to see the problem. As others have said, if you were restoring some sort of classic it would be different.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2011 16:51 #22684 by X-Eng Simon
I think you're absolutely right about the classic car thing. People view 4x4's as evil (unless they need taking to work in the snow!).

Si

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 17:29 #22931 by X-Eng Simon
This weekend I finished the support structure. Still waiting for the last two polycarb roofing sheets to arrive - but I was able to test it - and do a bit more work on the Jimny project.

Here's a bit of video of it in motion!

More
02 Oct 2011 20:24 #22944 by MigCooper
That is just fantastic ...... I am stunned

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds