BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Jimny cruiser

• unsure
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2011 14:52 - 29 Aug 2011 14:52 #21004 by unsure
Jimny cruiser was created by unsure
Hi everyone,
Thought i would do a little build thread on my new project.
You may have seen my old truck (landy i know...sorry...lol) in the my car section

well i got bored of it breaking alot and the wieght of the thing being a big disadvantage so after my mates sj on hilux axles beaing it most the time it was time for a new idea, Jimny on 70 series cruiser axle with 33's, 6.5:1 trailgear crawley kit in it and my two winches, gigglepin 8274 and a tds goldfish in the rear.
So far i have bought a lovely jimny with a fairly new 3 inch lift kit on it and some steel wheels, all this in the bin now though...lol.
I now have a ORA 4.5 complete kit, rear winch tray and many other bits (recaros etc).
Before i get too far the axles need to get mounted which i am on the case....
pics soo far: (wil get more)

I have now got the bushes into the ORA rear arms, the axle brackes welded on for these, just made new chassis brackets to allow the rear axle to move back 70mm to aid clearance, will have the altered spring seats made up 2mo too. Then other than panard, which should be simple the rear axle mounting work is done, take it back out and strip it for fresh paint and a good full service.
Then onto the front...this is to move forward too but will be alot more work.....should be fun...lol.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 14:52 by unsure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2011 15:24 - 29 Aug 2011 15:25 #21005 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
Ironically, we both had pretty much the same thought!

It's not quite a build thread, but there some pictures etc here: BigJimny

I've got a slightly older Jimny soft top which I've put an auto box and twin-transfer into over the last few weeks. I have a set of FJ80 axles with lockers which I'm half way through installing.

I didn't know ORA made mounts for Toyota axles (think I read that right). I've been making my own. 3 link on the back and cross link on the front (also known as X-Link, but that just leads to confusion!)

Been quite a constructive weekend - I'll post piccies tomorrow!

Si
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 15:25 by X-Eng Simon.

More
01 Sep 2011 10:25 - 01 Sep 2011 17:47 #21128 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
don't know if this will help.
www.sukka.is/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?14023
In English if you got google translator.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 17:47 by dirtydogz.

• unsure
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2011 16:22 #21143 by unsure
Replied by unsure on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
He doesn't sell bracktes but i bought taps, then a universal sort of chassis bracket to move the arms forward.
Still waiting on parts though.

Just got the new rear spring seats mounted to the axle which move it all 70mm, chassis brackets are ready to be tacked once the chassis is cleaned up.

Originally i was looking to do 3 link but got talked out of it as i want to keep the car a car without too much chopping, plus this is alot easier i recon but we shall see.

I will sort osme more pics but yours is definetly alot more extreme than mine....lol.
Also are you able to build cages?? as i dont like the look of the ones i see advertised and need someone to make one at some point....
cheers agian
joe

• Bliza
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2011 18:24 #21321 by Bliza
Replied by Bliza on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
Keep up the good work i'm saving up for the 4.5 Ora kit so would be good to see it at work 8^) thanks for photos

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2011 17:44 #21350 by X-Eng Simon
Joe, where in the country are you?

I don't as a rule make cages, but by the time I'm finished will have a set of bend tables to make the main internal and external parts - so could probably make another set that you can weld together yourself!

Your Land Rover looks very familiar (it may just be the X-Eng sticker ;) ). Who are you in Land Rover world?

Si

• unsure
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 14:15 #21385 by unsure
lol, i have met you a few times now Simon, prob wont remember as i am sure you meet many.
I am only in Redhill, Surrey but have got switches, batteries, x brake and many other bits from you on the landy.
I did once come to your house to collect my x brake which was when you were building your car in the pic you have when it was in its first build stages.
Seen you driving it at Boxgrove before too and mine goes to alot of days out etc. Mud monsters etc too.
And iw oudl be after prob an external set up but not sure on how i want it yet but i would prefer if oyu could supply the pre bent bits for me to weld, i liek putting it together myself if thats cool with you, no hurry though. Not had any time on the car in the last week or so either, now landy is up for sale to get it out the way.
Shall keep updating though, plus will need lots more bits for the jimny off you too...

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 16:25 #21395 by X-Eng Simon
How about, when it's together and you've designed a cage, come down here and we'll bend the tube together?

You buy the tube & Jammie Dodgers - I'll provide Tea and bender!

Si

• unsure
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 16:59 #21398 by unsure
that sounds like a very good plan, will get chocolate hob knobs too....cant resist them...lol

• ypvs jimny 350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 18:30 #21408 by ypvs jimny 350
Replied by ypvs jimny 350 on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
love this bulid thanks for uploading;)

dirtydogz wrote: don't know if this will help.
www.sukka.is/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?14023
In English if you got google translator.

• unsure
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2011 13:41 #21644 by unsure
Spring seats moved forward 70mm and trailing arm brackets in place.
will put pics of new chassis brackets tomo when i take some and axle underneath.

More
11 Sep 2011 14:11 - 12 Sep 2011 07:45 #21647 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Jimny cruiser
Keep the photos come it nice to see two mud monster builds yours and X ENG SIMON keep up the good work.
BAZ

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 12 Sep 2011 07:45 by dirtydogz.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds