BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Attention all detailers

More
17 Jun 2022 15:09 - 17 Jun 2022 16:59 #243754 by Halford
well the new 4wd arrives next week after a 6 month wait, unfortunately it's not a Jimny but it's an Ignis Allgrip, couldn't take the chance of the missus forgetting to dissengage the Jimny 4wd  in the winter up here in the North Pennines.

when I had the dogtaxi  there were lots of detailers on here and I'm guessing there may still be a few so hopefully I can pick your brains.

I've decided not to buy the rip off paint protection offer from Suzuki at £400 or £200 for the diamondbrite product as reviews are saying they only last a few months and personally I can't see how that's any better than applying a good wax oneself.

any advice on the best products/relatively easy application on a new car that I could do myself, and are these ceramic coatings really any better than the DIY "wipe on wipe off" traditionally waxing (on my current yeti I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and it's so easy to apply and gleams).

many thanks for anyone passing on their experience and knowledge

Mike
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 16:59 by Halford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2022 18:48 - 17 Jun 2022 18:53 #243757 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Attention all detailers
Can't go wrong with Autoglym or Meguiars, other makes exist which I assume are as good.
Super resin polish is just that, it's a polish. You should after use apply a wax as you have polished it off.

I like traditional Carnauba wax, Meguiars Gold Class premium Carnauba plus is the one for me, apply it once after a deep clean or polish.
For the rest of the year Autoglym rapid wax is a good top up every now and again, apply to wet car, buff off.
Most of the time I simply wash with Shampoo with Carnauba, then apply a quick wipe with Autoglym Rapid detailer, makes a 23 year old Jimny look new and is no effort at all.

Autoglym instant tyre shines the one for the tyres.

Other methods and products exists, but this is want makes me happy.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 18:53 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halford

More
17 Jun 2022 19:24 #243758 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Attention all detailers

Can't go wrong with Autoglym or Meguiars, other makes exist which I assume are as good.
Super resin polish is just that, it's a polish. You should after use apply a wax as you have polished it off.

Doh, ... obvious when pointed out, feel such a muppet as I actually thought I was protecting the paintwork with the resin polish.

thanks for advice, much appreciated

More
17 Jun 2022 20:21 - 17 Jun 2022 20:23 #243759 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Attention all detailers
You and me both, for many years I just used super resin and believed it was protecting the paint!!!!!

I went on a "how to clean car paintwork" course when I worked for Halfords, it was a real eye opener on just how dirty my clean car was 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 20:23 by Scimike.

More
21 Jun 2022 08:40 #243780 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Attention all detailers
I resent paying a fortune to Bristol Water for water to wash my cars. Therefore I use a submersible pump to extract water from the rhyne (drainage channel) that flows at the bottom of my garden.
I seem to get good results. Occasionally a bit of water weed or even a tiny fish emerges from the hose but that doesn't bother me.
The pump did once get blocked when a foot long eel was trapped in the inlet!

More
22 Jun 2022 06:59 #243785 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Attention all detailers
couldn't take the chance of the missus forgetting to dissengage the Jimny 4wd in the winter up here in the North Pennines.

So the 4x4 system in the Ignis is a different system, how does it work?
l've got a friend looking to buy one.

More
22 Jun 2022 07:06 #243787 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Attention all detailers
Is the Ignis a viscous coupling like the old Freelander?

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 Jun 2022 15:13 - 27 Jun 2022 13:48 #243835 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Attention all detailers
picked her up yesterday

This explains the suzuki allgrip - a bit

the Ignis’ AllGrip Auto is more of an electronic all-wheel-drive rather than a traditional four-wheel-drive system intended to provide extra grip in slippery conditions, as well as some off-road capability.

The AWD system remains active all the time, under normal driving conditions, the system usually transfers most of the engine’s power to the front wheels. But when necessary, it will subsequently distribute more power to the rear wheels. Additionally, Traction control automatically detects when a wheel is spinning freely out of traction. For example, when stuck in the mud. Then, the system applies brakes to that particular wheel. This allows redistribution of power to other wheels that have traction, thus allowing the car to break free.

AllGrip Auto uses a viscous coupling in front of the rear differential. This hydraulic clutch uses high-viscosity silicone oil to transfer drive power. In certain conditions, a rotational variance occurs between the front and rear wheels. When a wheel spins, it heats the silicone oil and causes it to expand. The pressure resulting from the expanded silicone oil engages a multiple-disc clutch. This clutch then transfers torque to the rear wheels.

There are no buttons or levers to activate or deactivate the AllGrip Auto system. It automatically runs all the time. So no special skills are required to drive it.

In addition, the Ignis has a 4x4 Grip Control button, which enables the car to automatically apply brake to a slipping wheel and focus the drive power to the opposite wheel. This is particularly useful for starts on roads that are slippery, snowy, or muddy. It also helps improve escape performance using traction control to limit the loss of engine torque. When the vehicle is stabilised or reaches 19mph it switched off.

Last edit: 27 Jun 2022 13:48 by Halford. Reason: edited with improved Allgrip (auto) explanation
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds