BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Not a Jimny

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 06:43 #224119 by Lambert
Not a Jimny was created by Lambert
Saw my first new Defender on the road yesterday. Not actually as appalling as I was expecting but it is definitely an SUV not a work truck.

I'll be sticking with my Dreadnaught.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2020 12:05 - 28 Jun 2020 12:06 #224134 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Not a Jimny
Looking at their web site it was probably a Defender 110, the 90 production has been delayed to September due to the Vitus. I was interested if you could spec a "low spec" version, less luxury and more workhorse, but it appears not at the moment. At the moment you get a high spec as standard, you can only add more. Not one I would purchase, I lost interest in Land Rovers when they started to fit carpets and heaters as standard, so no chance I will ever be a customer.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 12:06 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 13:23 #224137 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Not a Jimny
This is true. If Dreadnaught were not a company car but still being used in a similar manner I would have the carpets etc out and the floor bed lined much like my old defender much more durable and significantly easier to keep clean. Carpets have no place in a work truck.

That said for all you and I have deep reservations about buying the new defender when I went past Farnell at White Cross a couple of weeks ago there was a line of probably 10 or more evidently waiting for their new owners so someone must be buying them. Probably fashion types that want the newest rufty tufty looking thing now one can't get a new Jimny anymore.

More
28 Jun 2020 21:20 - 28 Jun 2020 21:21 #224200 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Not a Jimny
I was following one and didn't know what it was until it turned off - I have to say the back end of it looked very cool, but I have to agree its more SUV and with great emphasis on less utility

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 21:21 by Max Headroom.

More
29 Jun 2020 09:03 #224218 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Not a Jimny
Shame they went the SUV route while trading off the old Defender's name, but I suppose that's where the money is. They look pretty good, but if I was in the market for a SUV I'm not sure I could ignore the poor reputation for reliability that LR have. Landcruiser commercial seems a safer and more utilitarian bet, even if we do 'only' get the Prado LC in the UK.

More
29 Jun 2020 09:53 #224219 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Not a Jimny
Comparison of the dimensions of the original 80 in. Land Rover and ( in brackets ) the Gen 4 Jimny.
Length 132 in. (143.5 in.)
Width 61 in. ( 64.76 in.)
Height 70.5 in. ( 67.13 in.)
Weight 2594 lb ( 2348 lb )

The new Defender has expanded somewhat since its 1948 origins!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jun 2020 10:22 #224222 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Not a Jimny
And yet on the road the 110 I saw didn't actually look that huge, big certainly but it was hiding it well if you know what I mean.

More
29 Jun 2020 22:33 #224261 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Not a Jimny
I passed my first new model Land Rover Defender last week on the Motorway - assumed it was a press car heading for the Scottish Highlands? As an ex-Land Rover customer I saw little that would attract me back into their dealership network. In fact it rekindled memories of some truly awful after-sales customer service, shoddy build quality and 'free' muffins and coffee whilst we waited yet again for the service technicians to repair it. Interestingly that 2014 model Defender bought new and with a full dealership service history reminds me of a triumph of style over substance. I also continue to note its abysmal online record at passing an annual MOT without repairs and advisories - thankfully I no longer own it or face the constant repair bills and general hassle. Meanwhile over at Suzuki Central I simply put petrol in it, turn the key and enjoy the sense of pleasure at my fingertips. Thankfully my pension pot isn't invested in or reliant on Land Rover products.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds