BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2017 17:22 - 01 Nov 2017 18:25 #185722 by Caelite
Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny was created by Caelite
Hey guys

Finally got a bit of cash saved up for my Jimny, just wondering if anyone is looking to sell, or knows of a good Jimny for sale? I'm looking for a euro 4 VVT example, have just over £2k to play with.

Anyone got a Jimny to shift, open to a few odds and ends to fix but would like to avoid extremely modified or rusty examples as it is to be my daily.

Thanks
CAElite
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 18:25 by Caelite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2017 07:39 #185926 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny
Hey guys, looking for some advice, found a Jimny very local to me, 55 plate in my price range. I've gone to have a look at the MOT history, it's most recent mot was a fail for this:

It was passed at the same MOT station 2 days later with the same mileage, bar the obvious coil spring, where exactly should I be looking to make sure this has been repaired properly? I know the boot floor where the jack sits is the obvious place, but the sill, is that likely to be where the rear body mount sits that is corroded?

Or is it best to just run from a Jimny that has already started to corrode, it has lived in Scotland all its life, very low mileage over last 6 years (<5k/year) so I imagine it's been someone's winter over the harsh winters.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Nov 2017 12:12 #185944 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny
Unless you are handy with the welder I would be walking away. Just because that bit has been "fixed " doesn't mean that the rest isn't imminent.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caelite

More
07 Nov 2017 12:33 #185946 by weecorey
I agree with 11/60, it's so hard to see the areas where rust and rot are common without a bit of stripping.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2017 17:21 #185962 by Caelite
Cheers,Out of curiosity am I being unrealistic with a £2-2.5k budget for a clean VVT? They seem to be priced at a premium that I really didn't expect, I am kind of needing a euro 4 as an area I commute through is scheduled to become an LEZ sometime in the next year or two (Glasgow).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709159328762

That's the one I was looking at by the way, it's only a 15 minute drive down from my college, I might still take a peak at it if nothing else comes up, I'm pretty handy with a set of spanners but welding is just one thing I hate doing, currently trying to get rid of an MX5 with terminal tin rot.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Nov 2017 17:32 #185963 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny
If you go for a look have a good check behind and under the headlights (most common rust point). Sills are easy enough to see if you get under with a torch.

If its passed the MOT but nothing has been done to the sills i would walk away. Your budget is on the lower end for a good one, but ive seen people spend twice that and get a bad one.

Dave is selling a gold one on another thread, and he knows what hes doing with a jimny. A bit high for your budget, but he may be open to an offer ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2017 18:07 #185968 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Want to buy VVT (05>) Jimny
Just take your time, the is good ones out there. Mine is a 2005, 72K on the clock when I bought it for £2000. It was mint but not now. :)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2017 18:13 #185970 by Caelite
Thanks Riccy, just noticed Daves there, looks great. A weeee bit more modified than I am aiming for (It's my daily for ~10k miles/year). £4k is definitely more than I am looking for, that's bordering on grubby Defender territory (I know a Jimny of that price would be objectively better but.... Defender is the dream :D), I reckon offering him £2500 would be more than a bit cheeky.

Out of curiosity what is the best angle of attack for trying to look for the under headlight rust spot, looking at some pictures online, they all appear to be somewhat stripped down though. Is there any other easy to access points, obviously the inner sills, which, as you say, if haven't been sorted to a moderate quality will be bad. I know the boot floor is prone to rusting, I assume you can check that by folding the seats forward and pulling the carpet up a bit? Is there anything else you would recommend? I know with the early VVTs you also need to feel for crunchy gears/gear lash.

More
09 Nov 2017 11:47 #186032 by weecorey
The rust under the headlight can be difficult to see, if you shine a torch though the bumper grill you can see a bit but the wheel arch liners and bumper block most of everything you want to see.

I was planning on testing my 08 vvt and putting up for sale but I got carried away with pre mot inspection/clean and ended up spending around £700 on it even though I didn't need to. Now Im not sure if I want to part with it as it's the cleanest Jimny I've seen. I did come across rot under the passenger side headlight but got it before it reached the chassis mount so it's not a problem, I just cut the bad bit away and treated the rest. My boot and floor below the rear seats are as good as the day it left the factory.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2017 13:34 #186034 by Caelite
Ah so it is a bit of a pain to access, I'll keep that on mind though thanks. Out of curiosity how much would you be wanting for your 08 if you do decide to sell?

More
09 Nov 2017 15:49 #186037 by weecorey
I'd be advertising at £3500 ovno. I just have a couple of wee things to do before I decide what I'm doing.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds