BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Discuss the BigJimny Shop and Website in this section. Whats good, whats bad, whats ugly! - what would you like to see!

Temporary Shop Closure

More
22 Dec 2020 07:13 #231098 by mlines
The UK Postal System has collapsed. Both the Post Office and Couriers are refusing to accept parcels.

I have to collect some parcels from the Post Office this morning that they have rejected and DHL and Hermes are returning yesterdays collections later today.

Also the Courier companies have doubled their prices overnight (a £23 parcel went to £46). A cynic would suggest that is why my parcels are being returned, they want me to re-book at their new higher rates!

I will re-ship orders when I can (next week?). If anyone wants a refund in the meantime then please contact me.

I have temporarily closed as its impossible to run the store with no Postal Service.

Martin - 07535 744972

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Dec 2020 07:41 #231099 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Trying times. If you want cynical then I might suggest that this is all because of France flexing it's muscles ahead of brexit not because of covid19.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Dec 2020 08:40 #231100 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Lambert matey I wouldn't have thought your comment too cynical at all, as the EU states gave way the French need fishing rights to placate their crowd.
This however is not the reason for the courier system failing , the ports have no impact . The reason is the restrictions on working practices / places , hubs are stacked up with parcels as people do their shopping on line into a system where the manpower is spaced out more ( not in that way...though....) workers taking the oppotunity to take an extra 7 days off , no real questioned asked .
This year more and more buissiness won't open between Christmas and new year because of the weekend / bank holiday means less time in than out , so more parcels stuck in the system. Of course all this also means a chance to recharge a higher price ...or that too cynical!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Lambert

More
22 Dec 2020 08:42 - 22 Dec 2020 08:43 #231101 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Latest news we have at the Post Office...

Last day for first class was yesterday.

Special Delivery is now NOT guaranteed if sent tomorrow to be there on Christmas Eve, so the only options to guarantee anything to get there before Christmas is Social Delivery sent today, or if it's a larger / heavier item, the only services available fr guaranteed delivery from Parcel Force are AM services, so 24 or 48 hour services are no longer guaranteed for Christmas Eve delivery...

Meanwhile because of COVID travel restrictions we have to politly refuse to take any items to Europe by both Royal Mail and Parcel Force for the foreseeable future... apart from Southern Ireland. The rest of the world is not (currently) affected as they are flown out of the country...

The world has indeed gone bonkers! :silly:

To the contrary though, I'm still shipping eBay items as I don't ship internationally apart from through eBay's GSP - the Global Shipping Program - and as far as I am aware so far, they aren't disrupted.... yet?!
Last edit: 22 Dec 2020 08:43 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
22 Dec 2020 11:59 #231104 by Roger Fairclough
When I went abroad everyone in Europe loved the British, except the French. Scandinavian countries spoke english as well as we do, sometimes better. Greece, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Turkey and Russia less so but still acceptable. Germany even less so but not nasty. France on the other hand treated us like lepers and made life difficult. I once repaired a punctured tyre on a womans bike and she treated me like dirt.

Roger

Makes you wonder who won the war.

More
22 Dec 2020 12:50 #231106 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Temporary Shop Closure
“Je ne suis pas Anglais, je suis Gallois”

Always worked for me... ;)

:woohoo:

More
22 Dec 2020 15:34 #231107 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Temporary Shop Closure

Roger Fairclough wrote: When I went abroad everyone in Europe loved the British, except the French. Scandinavian countries spoke english as well as we do, sometimes better. Greece, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Turkey and Russia less so but still acceptable. Germany even less so but not nasty. France on the other hand treated us like lepers and made life difficult. I once repaired a punctured tyre on a womans bike and she treated me like dirt.

Roger

Makes you wonder who won the war.

I cant say that's ever been my experience of France. Just like the UK its just full of people that are just going about their lives, with a similar diversity of its people.
I have briefly worked in retail, you don't need to go to France to find a woman to treat you like dirt, plenty in the UK.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 Dec 2020 22:30 #231114 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Don't get me wrong , I go to France a lot and love the place and in general the people. The French are French and in France you do it their way or just don't do it. :) Like their language, this is part of the charm , up until Msr Macron was elected everything was as it was ...BUT their policy of only French stuff for the French was not sustainable unless taxes were raised even more and they pay a lot of tax anyway....the answer to privatise everything which they have done and boy they didn't learn from us ...prices up overnight, trying to get utility stuff sorted..ha ha ..then add covid ...at least that stopped the Gillet jaun ( yellow jackets) from stopping cars in the streets and riots .
Could you imagine here in the UK , that you need to take your all refuse and recycling to a local collection point personally and bins not in your local village have key pads to stop other villages putting stuff in them ...there are no council refuse collections.:woohoo:
Should you visit a doctor and don't speak French take an interrupter with you , they don't supply ....any language!
They pretty much think like we did 30!years ago , this is changing now .
The government need to appease or be seen to be strong ... And fair play to them ..;)

More
22 Dec 2020 23:06 #231115 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Temporary Shop Closure
They are all at it Martin. We ship 2.5m aluminium mast at work using TNT, they are one of the few couriers who will ship that length. A couple of years ago, they slapped a £15 surcharge on anything over 2.4m, although they don’t always charge us.

We got a letter this week, new charges are £46 surcharge on anything over 2.43m. Guess we will be taking a hacksaw to the 2.5m mast, I can’t see any of our customers wanting to pay the surcharge.

DX will ship 2.5m but I don’t have a price yet.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Dec 2020 04:57 #231123 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Temporary Shop Closure
While I accept that brexit and covid19 are making something a perfect storm for price increases/profiteering I do wonder how much that is being used as a bandage on a gunshot by otherwise unviable enterprises that were on the brink previously? I know of a few local businesses whose owners/managers couldn't that have seen this year as a get out of gaol free card.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Dec 2020 22:06 #231187 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Just read Norwegian news on this, and it did say that mail and shopping should not be affected as the agreements between our countries is still on.
Said fishing agreements is still ok too so still hadfock for the fish and chips :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
26 Dec 2020 08:50 #231192 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Temporary Shop Closure
Yes, it looks good for the import/exports, if only the French would let their own lorry drivers home to release the huge mail backlog. The feeling is that postal/courier services will not properly restart until the first week in January.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds