BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?

More
16 Sep 2019 23:33 #213587 by wjamieson
Hello

Looking to extend my Diff breathers into the engine bay. Can anyone advise on the best size of the hose to fit onto the diffs once you remove the existing breather. I have seen both 8mm and 13mm being mentioned.

Thank you

Willie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2019 10:01 #213602 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?
The breather nubs on the diffs are approx 13mm / 1/2", so you will need _some_ hose of that ID unless you tap a fitment in direct. I don't think running hosepipe all the way to the engine bay is a great solution, so you'll probably want a reducer to go from a short 13mm section straight off the diff into a smaller diameter hose.

Space is limited around the diffs and it's easy to kink hoses, so keep any joins as low profile as possible. I've currently got a couple of inches of hosepipe joined to 8mm OD ARB pipe but have some kinks I need to sort out and will be replacing the ARB pipe with some 8mm OD 5.5mm ID pipe. Some more details on my thread in the my Jimny forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wjamieson

More
17 Sep 2019 16:28 #213609 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?
You'll need to use 13mm pipe directly off the diff's to accept the spigot dia. as gadget has mentioned. You could then step it down using a barbed brass reducer (As i have done) to accept a pipe of your choice all the way to the engine bay, or to accept a kit such as the ARB diff breather kit. I'd highly recommend the latter, it's a little pricey but the breather manifold is top notch and nicely made. Check out myself, gadget and Soeleys Jimny thread to take a look at how others have done it!

More
17 Sep 2019 17:02 - 17 Sep 2019 17:05 #213615 by Gadget
Dagzook, I'd not spotted your breather install before now, looks brilliant and I'm going to copy some of your ideas when I redo mine! :)

Do you have any links for the hose, connectors and p clips?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 17:05 by Gadget.

More
17 Sep 2019 17:24 #213617 by wjamieson
Thanks everyone. 13mm was the magic number I was looking for. Also appreciate the feedback about not taking the 13mm into the engine bay but reducing down to 8mm. Much appreciated.

More
17 Sep 2019 17:44 #213621 by DAGZOOK
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGadget,

The brown - poly p clips were from work. Salvaged from a jet engine :woohoo: :laugh:

You can get these though which are fairly similar and cheap.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
17 Sep 2019 17:47 #213622 by Gadget
Awesome, ta - sadly no jet engines knocking around spare in my office! :laugh:

• JimDust
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 14:14 #223223 by JimDust
Replied by JimDust on topic Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?
Hey dagzook new to this site and finding it a little difficult to navigate. I am just about to install diff breathers but if like to see your install is there a link you could send me please.? Thanks in adavance

More
03 Jun 2020 15:11 #223224 by lookonimages
www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread....f-breather-for-rebel

Very detailed setup. Page 2 much more detail.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
13 Jul 2020 19:00 - 13 Jul 2020 19:01 #225013 by Grim Reaper
Would something like this be a better option?
Thread the outside of the diff breather outlet stubs (which should be doable without getting any swarf down into the diff casings) and then loctite the barbed fitting into the desired orientation, attach suitable hose and feed up to desired height.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jul 2020 19:01 by Grim Reaper.

More
13 Jul 2020 19:56 #225021 by DAGZOOK
Possibly, the general consensus seem to recommend running a 1/8 bsp male tap internally down the axle housing breather spigot. But I gather that tends to be a job when the axle has been removed or the vehicle is heavily lifted.. much prettier end result. Bit daft that Suzuki made the breather spigots so big in the first place!

More
13 Jul 2020 22:21 #225031 by crash486
I tapped mine following suggestions from a mechanic who has done quite a few. He recommended loading the tap with grease which traps the swarf. Cut a few threads, wipe off grease with trapped swarf, load with clean grease and repeat.
This worked for me. I did change the diff oil after this as I'm a bit paranoid but it was due a change anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds