BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Door Lock Query

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2019 22:10 #209444 by Blackout
Door Lock Query was created by Blackout
Hi all, bought a Jimny today and only after getting it home realised the key does not seem to work ! I am not too worried about carrying a second key but would it be possible to swap the barrel out and put another key in or is there some electrical magic that means I would need to change ECU? It is central locking as pushing the pin down locks both doors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2019 23:43 #209447 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Door Lock Query
Hello and congratulations on the new Jimny.

The key has two electrical components, the central locking transmitter and a rfid chip in the fob body. Both are coded to the ECU, the transmitter opens the doors and the rfid chip allows the car to start, but they are actually sperate functions. You can take both out of the key body, so if you split the key make sure you don't throw the body away without removing the rfid chip.

Back to the central locking. If you have not done so already try a new battery in the transmitter. Also get some contact cleaner (Halfords sell it) and spray the two micro switchs on the transmitter PCB, mine had collected a fare amount of dirt and this was the reason my central locking was not working. Mines a 2009 with 2 button central locking on key fob, not sure if it differs with age.

If you change the key transmitter you are going to need it programming to the ECU. Not 100% sure I have seen a definitive article on how to do this on the Jimny other than paying Suzuki or a garage to do this for you. But if it can be done then the answer will be along shortly.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2019 09:23 #209462 by Blackout
Replied by Blackout on topic Door Lock Query
Mike thanks for the reply. There are no buttons on they key itself. Looks like a sealed Suzuki key. Perhaps no central locking. Has a separate immobiliser fob so possibly aftermarket.

More
02 Jun 2019 10:04 - 02 Jun 2019 10:07 #209463 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Door Lock Query
To be honest I am not sure how the key changed across the years of manufacturing.

However my second key that came with the car is a blank Suzuki with no buttons, it must stll have rfid as it starts the car, but I don't have a separate immobilizer fob, so yours may well be aftermarket.

I can lock or open all the doors from the internal pin just like you, so it could be it has remote locking but the first key is lost, hence why you are using the second. If it does and you get a new two button key it's going to need programming to the ECU, that's the "how to" bit I have never seen explained.

If you have a local Suzuki dealer pop in and ask them with your vin number if it supports this function and how much for a new key plus program to ECU. This is the sure to work option and asking costs nothing.

I have seen new keys on eBay, but not much use without the "how to" program guide.

What year is your Jimny? May help others give ideas if we know this.

All the best

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2019 10:07 by Scimike.

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2019 10:40 #209464 by Blackout
That makes sense, may do a trip down there. It’s 2005.

Unsure how the locking system is wired up. Was hoping as an interim solution swap say passenger cylinder out and could lock pushing the buttons down inside then open via passenger door reaching over if needed lol

More
03 Jun 2019 08:54 #209532 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Door Lock Query
I am in a similar situation.

I bought a second hand Jimny made in 2012, but the original owner had lost the main key (the one with the integrated two-button remote locking fob). I only got the 2nd key which has no buttons, but it opens all the doors and starts the car.

Local Suzuki dealer asks a hefty price for a new key + programming (about 200 EUR).

I bought a used Jimny key from Ebay with integrated two-button fob. Sadly the blade is not removable, so the blade part is useless to me (the blade is already cut for a different vehicle). So I can only theoretically use the fob part of the key for the remote locking functions. Now I just have to figure out how to reprogram the fob to my ECU.

Forum member Yakuza told me about a Chinese device called "OBDSTAR F109" (look it up on Ebay, Aliexpress, etc.) which should theoretically be able to reprogram a remote locking transmitter to a vehicle.

I just haven't yet got to doing anything regarding any of the possible solutions.

Also take a look at this wiki article and the linked forum topics from it:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...g_transmitter,_alarm

More
03 Jun 2019 09:02 #209533 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Door Lock Query
New two button remote key from BigJImny, correctly cut - £144

This would need to be taken to your local Suzuki dealer for car programming, typical charge is £60.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2019 17:55 - 03 Jun 2019 17:55 #209547 by Blackout
I have had a look and cannot see any electrical wiring to the passenger lock. I will attach a pic below.

With this in mind I think I would be able to just get another lock cylinder and key off eBay and use this key only for unlock and lock of the door.

Do I have to take the door apart to get access to the lock or can it be done via the hole in the panel I didn’t want to start pulling in case damage something... although the lock is useless anyway :angry:
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2019 17:55 by Blackout.

More
03 Jun 2019 22:40 - 03 Jun 2019 22:41 #209566 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Door Lock Query
My eBay obd star thing can only code the existing immo chip back to working if you change the ecu. That is all got done so far..
I got a 2005 car and although option codes or chassis number told my suzuki dealer they could order a remote key, they never got it working.. There is no original receiver on my car. But the wiring is fairly easy to understand so I got an ebay remote with reciever working.
I used the old key as a blank and got a local locksmith to make extra keys that I adapted to fit the ebay remote.

So over to the next, the cylinder. If you look closely at your first picture there is a springy locking disc right out on the door sheet metal. It can be slid out so the cylinder can come out of the door.
Then you can replace it and even with some luck you can recode the new cylinder to fit your old key by replacing the correct discs in it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2019 22:41 by yakuza.

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2019 21:21 #210632 by Blackout
Just to update this Incase anyone comes across similar issue.

Auto locksmith come out and got the code from the lock cylinder. Cut a new key to code. Central locking all works. Took about 15 minutes. £45.

Looks like the previous owner lost the key and replaced the ignition barrel and never locked the doors :huh:

Nice being able to lock the doors now :)

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds