BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering Damper Help

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2018 13:18 #191809 by mdog18
Steering Damper Help was created by mdog18
Hi Guys,

My new Black Raptor BRS-16 steering damper arrived today from JimnyBits and the instructions were super basic. I know there are multiple posts on this already but none really helped so I was hoping someone here would be able to give me exact instructions on how to fit - bear in mind I am not mechanically inclined!

Thank you,
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2018 13:41 - 17 Apr 2018 13:43 #191812 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Steering Damper Help
Ha Ha :lol: - you should get onto them really ;)

Easiest way... bolt the fat end of the steering damper to the longer of the two chassis brackets, i.e. so that the chrome piston rod end will be facing into the middle of the Jimny, with the recessed bit that fits around the chassis' protruding tubular crossmember, then offer it up to the outside of the chassis rail with that recessed bit roughly around the crossmember tube. Then pop the bolts (with a washer on each) through the two holes so that one is above the chassis and the other below. Then slip the other bracket over the bolts' ends on the inside of the chassis rail and then slip a washer over each and then thread a nut on each... Then tighten the nuts up and position the brackets as they get tighter so that the recess is around the end of the crossmember tube, making sure the damper doesn't foul on anything...

Now, pull the dampers piston out and measure the length of it (just the chrome piston rod will do) and then halve that measurement and slide the piston in to that position, so that it is half in / half out, that's where it needs to mount to the front steering bar just before the track rod end. Bolt the L shaped bracket to the other end of the piston so that the longer bit of the "L" is pointing away from the damper, then use the 2 U-bolts to bolt the L shaped bracket to the front of the steering bar.

That's a left-hand-drive, but it gives you an idea of how the brackets fit around the chassis crossmember tube

That's a similar one fitted to one of my Jimnys

Then, with the Jimny in neutal, start the engine and with the power steering then active, make sure (with the help of someone steering back and forth for you?) that you can steer from lock to lock properly and nothing fouls as it moves...

Hope that helps ;)

Dave
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 13:43 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdog18

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2018 15:29 #191816 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Steering Damper Help
Thank you so much! I managed to fit it no problems but I did it before i saw this post and as a result i didnt measure halfway before fitting the damper - is this necessary? I took the zuke for a test spin and it felt much better!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2018 15:45 #191818 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Steering Damper Help
It might compromise the steering on full left or right lock that's why you measure the halfway point :)

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2018 15:52 #191819 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Steering Damper Help
Ok I will readjust accordingly - thanks :)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Apr 2018 17:47 #191829 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Steering Damper Help
Very generous of you to help S200KYS/Dave (aka ZookBob/Bits4vits - the competition!)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
17 Apr 2018 19:54 #191840 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Steering Damper Help
Thanks Riccy ;)

Yes, that is me, but on here I’d rather be thought of as an enthusiast / member of the Jimny community than for my busines(ses)

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, mdog18

• macclad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2018 14:55 #192622 by macclad
Replied by macclad on topic Steering Damper Help
Thanks for that post, i'm having similar problems, not sure which washers and rubber or alloy shims go where, instuctions are useless.

More
13 Jul 2023 15:29 #249868 by IzakJackson
Replied by IzakJackson on topic Steering Damper Help
What did you end up doing for your torque on the damper and the mounting kit?

I'm an adventure filmmaker & photographer exploring in my Gen 3 Jimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Jul 2023 17:18 #249869 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Steering Damper Help
Mine are done to 2 ugga duggas on my stubby 3/8th m12 impact on number 2. Aka tight but not stupidly so.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzakJackson

More
17 Jul 2023 14:45 #249894 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Steering Damper Help
In my opinion, you get all parts sorted out (Bearings, Tie Rods, Steering Ends, Panhards, Panhard Bushes, Tyre pressures, clean rims) ... like me then you have zero need for a Steering Damper.

I've not had a steering damper fitted now for about 5yrs as it got in the way to adjust the steering bar to make sure the steering wheel is in the correct position

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds