BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question

• nucleardreamer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 02:49 - 01 Apr 2018 02:51 #191111 by nucleardreamer
Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question was created by nucleardreamer
Hey all! I've purchased a Jimny from Japan and I've super excited to find this forum. It's a 91 JA11C (bubble top). It's got a whole lot going on, but some specifics are:
  • At least a 2" lift, if not 3"
  • Tires are currently yokohama geolander M+S, which are super cracked and need to be replaced
  • Replaced factory wheel to a 6x16 (marked in service papers as 6.00-16-4PR)
  • Current size is a 175/80r16, originally the stock 205/70r15

I've looked through a ton of posts, but I couldn't quite answer my own question. What would be a good replacement tire size? I was hoping to try and find something a little closer to american sizes that would fill the width out a bit more.

The on-road/off-road type of tire is what I was going for, and I am having trouble finding other geolanders that will be a good fit? Attached are pics!
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 02:51 by nucleardreamer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Apr 2018 04:37 - 01 Apr 2018 04:39 #191112 by Lambert
Ah an sj, very cool. Most of us on here have the later post 98 version, but we'll help as best we can. As for the tyres that size aren't really that available in the UK but camskill list the Dunlop at2 grandtrek at 67.90 including vat.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 04:39 by Lambert.

More
01 Apr 2018 04:56 #191114 by zukebob
I would second Lambert's comment and add a little. Since you mention American sizes, is your plan to bring it from Japan to the U.S.?

If it is, you're best bet is to start "googling" U.S. tire distributors and find out what sizes they have in the style you want. I learned by moving from the U.S. to the Philippines, and then joining this forum of fine British fellows, that available tire sizes (even the same brand and model) differ in various market areas.

The other point I would make is you mention going a little wider. I will admit complete ignorance when it comes to gearing issues with any of the SJ series. Wider in a 16 inch may end up being a decent bit larger diameter than what you are running and could affect the gearing. Just something you might want to look into.

This forum is a good group and, as Lambert said, if anyone has good information, I'm sure they will share it.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
01 Apr 2018 07:25 #191117 by jackonlyjack

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 12:13 #191133 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question
I ran 235/75/15 and 30/9.50/15 on mine and both fitted nice. :)

Attachments:

• nucleardreamer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 21:37 - 01 Apr 2018 21:38 #191158 by nucleardreamer
Replied by nucleardreamer on topic Re:RE: Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question

zukebob wrote: I would second Lambert's comment and add a little. Since you mention American sizes, is your plan to bring it from Japan to the U.S.?

If it is, you're best bet is to start "googling" U.S. tire distributors and find out what sizes they have in the style you want. I learned by moving from the U.S. to the Philippines, and then joining this forum of fine British fellows, that available tire sizes (even the same brand and model) differ in various market areas.

The other point I would make is you mention going a little wider. I will admit complete ignorance when it comes to gearing issues with any of the SJ series. Wider in a 16 inch may end up being a decent bit larger diameter than what you are running and could affect the gearing. Just something you might want to look into.

This forum is a good group and, as Lambert said, if anyone has good information, I'm sure they will share it.

Ah yes, I already have it sitting in my driveway! It sounds like a monster truck. I've found a few good distributors, but most of the sizes I was looking at we're all coming up as touring types, more googling it is!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 21:38 by nucleardreamer.

• nucleardreamer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 21:49 #191159 by nucleardreamer
Replied by nucleardreamer on topic Re:RE: Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question

jackonlyjack wrote: I say 205/80/16
This size are around 29 inches tall

Based on what I've been looking at, that would be the maximum possible size for this 6x16 wheel right? I certainly have enough height clearance but the width is going from currently 6.9" to 8.1", is that possible you think?

More
03 Apr 2018 18:54 #191246 by helijohn

nucleardreamer wrote: Hey all! I've purchased a Jimny from Japan and I've super excited to find this forum. It's a 91 JA11C (bubble top). It's got a whole lot going on, but some specifics are:

• At least a 2" lift, if not 3"
  • Tires are currently yokohama geolander M+S, which are super cracked and need to be replaced
  • Replaced factory wheel to a 6x16 (marked in service papers as 6.00-16-4PR)
  • Current size is a 175/80r16, originally the stock 205/70r15

I've looked through a ton of posts, but I couldn't quite answer my own question. What would be a good replacement tire size? I was hoping to try and find something a little closer to american sizes that would fill the width out a bit more.

The on-road/off-road type of tire is what I was going for, and I am having trouble finding other geolanders that will be a good fit? Attached are pics!

Gosh that reminds me of my tin top SJ ; only sold it about 8 years ago!

It had 15s but I did wear Vitara 16s for a short while. Nice blue. I would love another one of those cos mine took me everywhere day in day out for over 20 years.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 19:04 #191249 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny from Japan! Tire specifics question
Just for you Helijohn. :)

Attachments:

More
03 Apr 2018 19:29 #191253 by yakuza
Hi!
love your car!
The narrow body is very rare in europe.
i had a Highroof (think thats what they are called) for several years until it rotted away in the center body mounts and i was tired of pushing my luck with a heavily modified car on the road in a country where no mods are allowed. All the good parts is on my shelf waiting to be used on the next project. Still regret that though..
I have owned so many Sj's i am not sure how many actually, most was dismantled for parts but currently building a lwb '87.
yellow '85 413 sold
green '85 413 scrapped
blue '85 410 bought for parts
black '92 sammy bought for parts, kind of not imported from netherlands but disappeared in my garage somehow..
white lwb '88 sammy (currently a trailer)
black lwb '88 sammy scrapped
white lwb '87 413 bought for parts
black lwb '87 413 being rebuilt, will take years to complete..
probably one or to more, not sure..

On my original geared SJ's i did not push it more than 235 or 29".
30 inch or more and you will have to do something to the wheel arches and the gearing.
hmm well i am not sure about the gearing on your car but that is how it was on the european models.
i liked the soft OME springs but if you change them i would remove the longer shackles you have on yours cause they damage the springs by over-bending them and slowly makes it just as low as before.

When i had lockers on both axles and 31" tires, 4.16:1 low gear, there was almost no stopping it. It could out perform any other car offroad and when it was stuck it was extremely stuck :) oh those where the days.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Apr 2018 19:34 #191254 by yakuza

325/60/15 some ten years ago..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Apr 2018 19:47 #191257 by Jezz
My old soft top, Sporting ugly cut up plastic barrel arch extentions.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds