BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help needed to locate occasional noise

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 21:16 #169017 by JimnyUser
Help needed to locate occasional noise was created by JimnyUser
My jimny has developed an occasional noise, its happened so far when going quite slow. First time I noticed it was decelerating in 2nd gear as I pulled into a petrol station. It happened for the second time today, I was going slowy in 2nd gear and noticed the noise, I dipped the clutch to see if it would stop which it didn't at which point I was rolling slowly forward in neutral I then put it back in 2nd and when letting the clutch out it did a heavy clunk/knock the noise stops and off we go with no more noises for the 15 mile trip home. I thought when I opened the window the noise was coming from the frintend somewhere, I recently changed both kingpin bearings and kingpins myself, I'm worried it might be something I've done wrong, since doing them I've driven from north wales to leicestershire and back again with no issues other than the noise occuring for the first time when I pulled into the services petrol station. Ideas anyone what it could be or stuff I could check. The clutch pedal is very high on it to the point where its quite tricky to pull off sometimes especially on hill starts as your foot is pretty much off the floor :S is there any adjustment that can be done to make the biting point closer to the floor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2016 21:46 #169019 by gilburton
The Jimny clutch needs manually adjusting at service intervals.
It's not automatic like modern cars.
Get under the car and find where the clutch cable enters the gearbox. You may see a plastic cover which you squeeze with your fingers which allows it to come free.
Underneath is a black plastic knob on the end of the cable.
Unscrew this(anticlockwise) until you have a couple of mm slack on the outer cable where it goes in to the sleeve,

There are other measurements you can do on the pedal but generally going directly to the adjuster cures it.
You might need some pipe pliers to adjust it until the dirt is loose on the threads.
If you've ever adjusted a motorcycle or cycle brake it's the same sort of thing.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimnyUser

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2016 21:56 #169020 by JimnyUser
Replied by JimnyUser on topic Help needed to locate occasional noise
Cheers! I'll try adjusting that at the weekend, do you think what I've described points to a clutch problem? hoping its not gearbox as I've read on here 05 VVT boxes are prone to issues :(

More
22 Jun 2016 22:04 - 22 Jun 2016 22:08 #169021 by gilburton
No idea really but your clutch obviously needs adjusting .
As it's an easy thing to sort give it a go and see if it helps, ;)

Don't think it will be the gearbox as I have suffered myself but it was a manufacturing fault in 2007/8.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 22:08 by gilburton.

More
23 Jun 2016 17:26 #169052 by jackonlyjack
the knocking noise could be the rear engine mount
that needs replacing ;)

Jack

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2016 21:15 #170060 by JimnyUser
So I drove from North Wales to Leicestershire without hearing the noise last weekend but then on the way back the noise developed and continued for at least an hour, every time teh front near side hit a pot hole or drain it set the noise off, seems to be related to either the free wheel hub or axle, having recently done teh kingpins I'm worried somethings not right with it now but I'm not sure what, what I do know is the noise is loud and doesn't sound healthly at all, to me it sounds like the half shaft is turning when it shouldn't be. I cam to a set of traffic lights and just as i was almost at a standstill there was a thud and the noise immeditely stopped as if the shaft had relocated, since then its not done the noise again, but it did that before and the noise came back. I guess I'm going to have to strip it down and see if I can see anything wrong.

Managed to get some video where you can hear the noise coming and going.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Jul 2016 06:20 #170081 by Riccy
try disconnecting the vaccum pipes to the front hub maybe?

sounds like the hub is popping in/out. it makes a loud clunk noise because its got a bit of transmission windup in the half shaft possibly?

what does it do in 4x4?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
16 Jul 2016 06:49 #170082 by helijohn
Is there any heating up of the wheel? Does the "clunk" happen after any reversing?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2016 18:56 #170218 by JimnyUser
I think that's what it is Riccy, I've not tried taking the vaccum pipes off, what would that achieve?
I put it up on axle stands yesterday and then put in 4x4 with the engine running, when I turned a wheel the other turned the opposite way and vice versa, the wheels were difficult to turn but they did turn. With 4x4 off the wheels turned easily. The problem is getting it to stay faulty so you can check it! At the moment its ok but it briefly happened again today, so I stopped and put it in 4x4 which seemed to cure it. Could do with seeing an exploded diagram of the hub so I can try and understand the workings of it.

Is there any heating up of the wheel? Does the "clunk" happen after any reversing?

No heating and not done it in reverse so far.

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2016 19:30 - 20 Jul 2016 19:43 #170293 by JimnyUser
Took the suspect freewheel hub off this afternoon and found it was loose, fiddled around with it a bit and it popped out again, struggling to understand how the bloody things work but I'm guessing that is whats been causing the noise as its been rattling around inside. Here's a vid showing the bad one and the good one...

Last edit: 20 Jul 2016 19:43 by JimnyUser.

• JimnyUser
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2016 13:50 #170396 by JimnyUser
So the hub inner has fell out again today so I've decided to get a used freewheel hub off ebay, are they made per side or are they interchangable? Some state FNS some don't.

• Syfon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2016 14:52 - 23 Jul 2016 15:33 #170398 by Syfon
Replied by Syfon on topic Help needed to locate occasional noise
I`ve watched second video, first hub is unlocked, second in locked position, it means you have problem with unlocking of one of your hub. If one of your hub is in lock position half shafts are turning even when you are in 2WD, and half shaft of unlocked wheel spins in opposite direction, if this problem is long lasting it could damage this hub. So at first check and fix unlocking of your vaacum hubs and make sure that both hubs are in unlocked position while you are in 2WD. Sorry for my english, hope you understand :) And if I am wrong, please correct me.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2016 15:33 by Syfon.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds