BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox oil seal (VVT)

More
08 Jan 2015 12:44 #134524 by Rhinoman
Does anyone know how difficult it is to change the output seal on a VVT gearbox? I am being told that the tcase needs to be removed or the engine and box pulled forward. Once you get access to it is it easy to hookout?

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2015 16:25 #134544 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
cant see it being much different to the one i did on the rear of my gearbox. mine is the g13bb engine though. still remains that the prop has to be removed betwen the gbox and tbox at the gearbox end. no drama there though. the seal if it is the same is a bugger to "pick" out. quite easy to get to though. got my seal from bigjimny shop

standard jimny - for now

More
08 Jan 2015 17:35 #134555 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
It's simple, all you need to do is remove the prop shaft then pry the old seal out, is it definitely the seal leaking and not the prop uj, Jenny's had a technical bulletin about the prop leaking the gearbox oil out. Their solution was for the customer to buy a new prop. I just slapped a load of silicone instant gasket stuff on to the prop to stop the oil leaking out and it's been fine ever since as after if done the gearbox oil seal it was still leaking and cost me a new gearbox

More
10 Jan 2015 14:31 - 10 Jan 2015 14:33 #134735 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
Ditto to the last post. It's a fiddly job as the gearchange linkage/mounts are different to earlier cars and the seal is a bit tucked up inside the mounting brackets.
The exhaust also has to be dropped from the joint with the springs to get the prop out.
There was a faulty batch of props and the oil leaks down the splines through the sealing adhesive inside the yoke of the UJ.
As said Suzukis answer is a replacement prop(different part number) and a seal .
I had my seal replaced and it didn't cure it but mine was out of warranty so I had to pay for a prop although the garage didn't charge labour.
It's the same seal as earlier boxes so there is no reason to suspect the seal as it has proved itself on earlier cars but worth trying anyway as it's only about £10.
Just keep an eye on the oil as it only holds 1.3ltrs so even a small leak can cause gearbox problems.
Overfilling is also a problem so let it all drip out until it stops dripping out of the level plug(car level of course)

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 10 Jan 2015 14:33 by gilburton.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2018 15:16 #192440 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
Just to revive an old topic rather than start a new one...

Anyone have any tips for getting the rear output seal out?

I've tried levering it, tried getting a self-tapping screw in the pulling with pliers, all to no avail. Am worried I've nicked the inner shaft, but that's a problem for another day, just want to get the damn thing out!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
06 May 2018 16:57 #192443 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
slide hammer with a L fitting on the end? that usually works a treat on seals for me ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
06 May 2018 19:51 #192448 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Verktoy-og-ve...gverktoy-2000022755/

I bought this or a similar kit. was easy when the box was out anyways, but it should be doable with the box in the car. Remove axle and exhaust and possibly gearbox rear bracket.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
07 May 2018 07:36 #192462 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Gearbox oil seal (VVT)
You can get oil seal removal tools. Machine Mart do them.

An old trick is to screw a self rapper into the side of it and use that to pull it out.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds