BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2" Lift and tyre help for a newish chap to 4x4s

• rs200boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2013 00:18 #63903 by rs200boy
i know this has been asked a million times before but i keep getting it mixed up etc

looking to get some mud tyres on jimny as big as i can on 15" rims whats the biggest size that suits well on the jimny ?

also a 2" lift that would let the tyres fit in this is the bit im puzzled with some say about extending brake pipes ,there is a body lift or a suspension lift or do both anything else i need

long and short i use car daily i have standard road tyres and another set of rims waiting on mud tyres for some offroading etc and the lift ideally to be easy to do but give me enough clearance for the tyres

what do i need to do so nd is there any tips etc to help me out lol

thanks in advance for de stressing m brain :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2013 22:43 #63979 by iloveics
The biggest I would go on a standard transfer box is 215/80r15.
You can run this tyre with a 2" lift, may need some trimming if you use a malatesta kaimans or something ultra agressive like them.

You wouldn't need extended brake lines if you kept your anti-roll bar on with a 2" lift. but i'd whip that off and go for extended lines for the extra axle articulation.

Depending on what size tyres you want to run, depends on if you want body lift and or suspension lift.
Suspension lift is easier to fit but you get more body roll and eventually you will need to do castor correction etc and longer panhard rods.
Body lift is cheaper but more labour intensive, and doesn't ruin suspension geometry.

it's not uncommon to do a 2 or 3" suspension lift combined with a 2" bodylift gives you a good scope to fit large tyres.

Hope that made some sense?

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 18:39 #64051 by Beano
I have fitted to mine: a 2" suspension lift kit(Kap springs and pro comp dampers) with the extended brake lines.
I have removed the anti roll bar and I run Marix Puma mud terains which are 215/80r 15.
These are on the standard wheels.
I have the jimny 'lean corrector' which is basically an acrylic donut for the front drivers spring to level it out.
I have a standard ratio transfer box and all the above works like a dream.

I will be getting castor correctors and wheel spacers in the very near future just to try and straighten the steering out a bit. (May stretch to a steering damper too) I found once all the above was fitted it became a lot more agricultural than a standard one so be prepared! Still drives great and I'm well happy with it!

Some folks on here have monster lifts and mega wheels but for the few mods above, its easy to do and looks/drives great on/off road.

Hope that helps?

Al

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 20:15 - 26 Feb 2013 20:21 #64076 by nicho
what i tried to do was as i lifted it i tried to go as wide as possible but staying just in the arches, ive got 2inch lift and not got extended b pipes, they say its fine and probly is but if i had a bit cash handy id get longer b pipes as the rear ones are quite tight.my mud tyres are 215 80 15 but are about 28.75 inch tall, i think there is quite a difference in size depending on the make,how tall are urs beano
Last edit: 26 Feb 2013 20:21 by nicho.

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2013 21:25 #64230 by Beano
They are insa turbos 215 80 15 but I think the tread makes them a wee bit taller ;-)

• rs200boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2013 10:10 #64423 by rs200boy
Sounds like the best idea is suspension lift 2" best with shocks and springs orone of the spacer kits?
Is it a good idea to remove roll bar if cars also a road going car also?
Extended brake lines is this all 4 flexis or metal piping?
Really like the look of insa turbos 215 80 15 they should fit

Sorry for all the questions but I like to check out before I endup buying twice lol

:laugh:

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2013 10:46 #64432 by Beano
I can personally recommend a 2" lift kit! Get the 'jimmy lean corrector' from bitsforvits and yes, the brake hose extensions are just the flexi part.

I've got rid of the anti roll bar too. Doesn't change road driving too much as long as you don't expect it to handle like an F1 car! Really helps with articulation when offroading.

• rs200boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2013 23:12 #64702 by rs200boy
all good thatnks for all the help well ive convinced the misses now where best place to buy all this ?lol

seen the extended hoses on bigjimny shop so far :)

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2013 23:34 #64704 by Beano
There are 2" kits on jimnybits, £336 inc vat

More
06 Mar 2013 07:31 #64713 by supergaz

Beano wrote: I can personally recommend a 2" lift kit! Get the 'jimmy lean corrector' from bitsforvits and yes, the brake hose extensions are just the flexi part.

I've got rid of the anti roll bar too. Doesn't change road driving too much as long as you don't expect it to handle like an F1 car! Really helps with articulation when offroading.

Why buy a kit that needs the lean corrected with a spacer, just buy a lift kit that has a longer o/s/f spring.

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2013 09:44 #64723 by Beano
I would have, if had known at the time!!

• Chris the Phys
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2013 18:22 #64753 by Chris the Phys
Replied by Chris the Phys on topic 2" Lift and tyre help for a newish chap to 4x4s

supergaz wrote:

Beano wrote: I can personally recommend a 2" lift kit! Get the 'jimmy lean corrector' from bitsforvits and yes, the brake hose extensions are just the flexi part.

Why buy a kit that needs the lean corrected with a spacer, just buy a lift kit that has a longer o/s/f spring.

so what is this kit and where to buy from?

cheers

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds