BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

To Lobster or not to Lobster

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2012 21:29 #48128 by Dave c
To Lobster or not to Lobster was created by Dave c
Delema
Have picked up a 410 and 413 transfer box question is what to fit ???????
Do i mash the pair up and make a lobster ??? or just try the 410 first with 4.99 ratio axles and diesel power if im not carefull engine going to be sceaming its guts out at less than any sensible road speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2012 22:17 #48129 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster
What size tyres are you planning?

And what's the purpose ? Harcore offroad and winching? Then lobster it, no question :-)

• niva77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 06:43 #48130 by niva77
Replied by niva77 on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster
I'm wondering the same question. About to fit 31's. Whats the best option? Rock lobster best obviously but how good are the "cheaper" alternatives?

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 07:23 #48131 by Dave c
Replied by Dave c on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster
Worked out the ratios last nite and with what ive got and a 410 transfer case at 3000rpm on the diesel i will be loking at at 48mph or there abouts tyres come out about 33 inches tall
Have found what lobster box will give me in low which is very nice but cant find any refrence to ratio in high box as this will change as well ??????

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 08:04 - 15 Sep 2012 08:06 #48132 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster
Just get some "real" reduction gears for the 413 box! Lobster is only 4.16, and even with 31's those gears feel like crap sometimes, and when you are there in the tight spot slipping your clutch, the only thing you'll think is why you went with that cheap ass lobster, and not with those 6.5 gears! Even though those trail gear gears are expensive, they are THE BEST upgrade you can have when you have bigger tires than 31's. And on the road too the 6.5's are just what you need to get the fifth gear back! And you don't have to listen to those whining welded gears when you drive.

And if you order those gears from the States yourself, it won't even cost that much... ;)
Last edit: 15 Sep 2012 08:06 by Paul4x4.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 08:32 #48133 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster
In your case i dont think the lobster is the way to go even less the trial gear set lol
With a diesel lump and axle reduction ratio any of the two will kill your road speed .
Maybe the 410 box but its what you feel , how does it drive now on and off road ? Maybe we will have a better idea of what your wanting to improve

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 13:28 #48138 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster

Paul4x4 wrote: Just get some "real" reduction gears for the 413 box! Lobster is only 4.16, and even with 31's those gears feel like crap sometimes, and when you are there in the tight spot slipping your clutch, the only thing you'll think is why you went with that cheap ass lobster, and not with those 6.5 gears! Even though those trail gear gears are expensive, they are THE BEST upgrade you can have when you have bigger tires than 31's. And on the road too the 6.5's are just what you need to get the fifth gear back! And you don't have to listen to those whining welded gears when you drive.

And if you order those gears from the States yourself, it won't even cost that much... ;)

Reading Dave c's previous post, it sounds like he's not into getting a lower gearing that the 4.16 if wanting to take his Jimny on road.

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2012 22:14 - 16 Sep 2012 22:15 #48228 by Dave c
Ok done some more homework now i can bore you to tears
Checked out Rocky road outfitters they have some good stuff but also have a Crawl ratio calculator
Put in 1st gear ratio transfer and diff ratio and it chucks you out a figure higher it is the slower you crawl
Standard Jimjam Crawl ratio 39.95
Standard Jimjam Crawl ratio with a 410/413 rock lobster 61.97
Standard Jimjam with 6.5 gears 98.25

My Jimjam with its 4.99 axles and a 410 transfer box 55.44
My Jimjam with its 4.99 axles and a lobster 90.53
My Jimjam with its 4.99 axles and 6.5 gear set 143.52

So from that i deduce Lobster box will give me somthing very slightly less than £500 worth of 6.5 gears if im not mistaken.
And bearing in mind the diesel will make its power far lower in the range to a petrol im edgeing that way

Just to add all ratios for Jimjam have been taken from the Web and i presume are correct
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 22:15 by Dave c. Reason: My non ability to spell

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 04:52 #48233 by Paul4x4
To me that 143.52 sounds awesome! B)

Keep in mind, that even though the diesel will provide more torque from the lower rpm's, that won't make you go slow. That's what reduction gears do.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 14:14 #48251 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic To Lobster or not to Lobster

Paul4x4 wrote: To me that 143.52 sounds awesome! B)

Keep in mind, that even though the diesel will provide more torque from the lower rpm's, that won't make you go slow. That's what reduction gears do.

yea but it will be shite on road , best you could hope for is to outrun a mobility scooter piloted by a blue rinsed 90 year old lol

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 14:58 - 17 Sep 2012 15:06 #48253 by Paul4x4

reaper wrote:

Paul4x4 wrote: To me that 143.52 sounds awesome! B)

yea but it will be shite on road , best you could hope for is to outrun a mobility scooter piloted by a blue rinsed 90 year old lol

Any offroad mod you do will make the truck shittier on the road. ;) And in this case, with g-wagon axles and all, I don't think the main purpose of this truck is gonna be a daily grocery getter pavement princess... :whistle:

EDIT: Also with those axles you can put on some big tires(bigger than 35"), so that will compensate those crappy on road ratios some! B)
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 15:06 by Paul4x4.

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 17:38 #48257 by Dave c
With the lobster box Jimny will do 1mph per 1000rpm so the online calculator reckons think i will build 1 and see how it goes will only cost me a set of gaskets and i guess a day to do it.
Long term im a Portal Junkie and have a spare set of axles that i plan to build portal boxes on with a 2:1 ish reduction in those so effectivly will give me bomb proof axles with an overall ratio of 10:1 plus will lift the truck by 4 inches and allow me to run bigger tyres

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds