BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"

• jakexme
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2012 19:02 #45805 by jakexme
Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal" was created by jakexme
Ive had my Jimny 6 months. played about fiar bit on soft tracks and woodlands
(would love to take it to an open day somewhere when time is on my side)

Its had a full 2" lift,Grabber A/T tyres, new brake lines to get me going over most obstacals(one day ill get round to posting a pic)

Next i want to fabricate some bumpers. But before i go about welding/bolting anything on. im just after advice as to what is allowed on UK roads.
Im not looking to create anyhtign to big. just something for bump protection and Tow points. without taking too much from the appraoch.

Curently just has standard plastic bumpers

Cheers.
Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2012 19:21 #45808 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
are you wanting to fit a winch to it

• jakexme
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2012 19:27 #45811 by jakexme
Replied by jakexme on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
No. not after a winch.
just the bumper

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2012 22:21 #45949 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
It seems to be a bit of a grey area but basically you can not have an A-bar or bull bars for a start. Certain age vehicles may be able to have them fitted but there not realy a good idea anyway.

I think as well you may only be able to fit a metal bumper if its purpose is to fit a winch. You carnt just stick a metal bumper on just for protection (again, i think!). It needs a "better" purpose. i.e its there to mount a winch on.

Obviously a metal bumper on its own has a good purpose to protect the car but if the hit someone on the roads with it your f****ed.

TBH i've tried to find the correct answer to this question on other forums and everyone seems to have a differnt take on it.

Its all down to the EU so maybe someone else can point you in the right direction. I think there are pages of rules on the subject. Good luck!

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 00:44 #45955 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"

So would this one be a no no on a 2001?

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 08:04 #45956 by Nobby22
Keefe, i think its about proveing when it was fitted. But to be honest i dont realy know :blush:. You could always cut the bars off :unsure: . I think the Rhino Ray bumper would look pretty cool with out them.

Have you seen the new ORA armoury winch bumper? Its very nice but they they clearly say not for road use. I assume its because of the A-bar ?

Nobby

• Joakae
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 08:29 #45957 by Joakae
Replied by Joakae on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"

Nobby22 wrote: Keefe, i think its about proveing when it was fitted. But to be honest i dont realy know :blush:. You could always cut the bars off :unsure: . I think the Rhino Ray bumper would look pretty cool with out them.

Have you seen the new ORA armoury winch bumper? Its very nice but they they clearly say not for road use. I assume its because of the A-bar ?

Nobby

The ORA bumper only says "off-road use only" because the EU law that has been brought in means that you can't produce bumpers anymore but it's perfecly legal to fit them. So they're only covering their bums.

I think the law only covers new cars and manufacturers to stop them fitting bullbars as standard but if you have one laying around you can fit them. I'm going to fit an aftermarket one, fabricated before the law was introduced to my 2012 Jimny and I think it'll be fine as long as I'm insured.

I called my insurer to ask and they said it's fine to fit a winch bumper and he didn't think there would be a problem if you're insured.

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 08:45 #45960 by Nobby22
Its not the wnch bumper thats the problem its the A-bar or bullbar. Basically if you hit someone with it they tend to hit the solid metal bar instead of the softer (but not much better!) bonnet.

But realy, is there any need to fit a bumper with an A-bar or bullbar? I carnt think of the last time i saw a kangaroo jump out in this country :laugh:

Nobby

• chimpbikes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 09:30 #45963 by chimpbikes
Replied by chimpbikes on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
Kangaroo's we have hundreds round here in Aberdeenshire!!

Opps did I say Kangaroo, I meant Pheasants sorry.

I'll get my coat!

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 09:34 #45965 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
I don't know what EU laws you have there in the UK, but I think they should be the same ones we have here in Finland too. That's why they are EU laws. And here it's not allowed to install any steel bumpers onto trucks newer than '06(maybe some approved ones are ok, not sure about that), and same goes with bumpers installed after that year onto older trucks too. No limits to A-bars or anything though, as long as there are no sharp edges or anything like that.

But that's not a problem. I can make and fit what ever bumper I like onto my '00 Jimny, because no one will be able to tell when it was installed, and of course it's been on the truck since before that stupid law... :whistle:

• Coletti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 10:10 #45969 by Coletti
Replied by Coletti on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
I looked into this a while back and as far as I could make out, the only type of bumpers you could fit were winch bumpers with a winch fitted as it then becomes a "utility" rather than protection, and as for age...as far as I could tell it was prety strict and the law was the law so no matter the age, a bumper/bulbar that is used for protection was illegal! As for your bumper keefe, I would think that it would be illegal on a road going vehicle I'm afraid. I could be wrong with all this but that, to the best of my understanding was the situation regarding bumpers

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2012 10:31 #45972 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Metal Bumpers - What is "road legal"
Got an A bar on mine and it sailed through the MOT !. Also have a traffic cop that lives 2 doors away and he was admiring the Jimny the other day, never said anything about the A bar !!!! :S

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds