BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CV's

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2012 10:32 #30943 by doncarlyon
CV's was created by doncarlyon
Mine has been clicking for a while so time to get it sorted.

Not sure which side it is but gonna try to work that out today...

Not sure wether to buy pattern CV's or get some second hand shafts with CV's from CAM?

Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2012 11:08 #30946 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic Re: CV's
I just finished installing my new HD halfshafts and CV joints with an arb front locker.

The halfshafts i dont remember from what car they are , but the cv's are from subaru forester ,

are 22spline just like front jimny's . The only thing is that the cv cave needs a little job so you can feet the

cv's because they are a bit bigger than original ones.

This combination is beeing used for the past 3 years from 3 friends of mine with 33'' in 4x4 competitions

and they never had any breaking problems.

The cost of the halfshafts and cv joints , buing them from a scrup yard cost me 150e.

I will upload some pics later.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2012 11:52 #30950 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: CV's
Clicking noise doesn't mean anything! I've seen a lot almost new silent cv's breaking very easily, and then there's also those very old and noisy ones that just last and last. Just buy a new pair for spares, and abuse the old one's as long as they break, and then switch in the fresh ones...:)

More
15 Jan 2012 14:25 #30958 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: CV's
Yep, as above ignore the clicking. Mine click when on full lock on dry-ish surfaces when off road.
I get full drive still and until i lose drive i'm not worrying too much. I replaced one ages ago as it had never clicked before. I tried a heavy recovery and thought i'd blown it after, i suspect though after replacing it and how the other side behaves now it wasn't shot.

I've just got hold of a full set of shafts front and rear so i don't need to worry about them so much now.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Jande
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2012 17:35 #31425 by Jande
Replied by Jande on topic Re: CV's
panosd
have you more info and pictures this subaru kit...

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2012 19:32 #37163 by panosd
For once again being late to show pics. Here are my HD cv joints and axle shafts, from subaru forester

File Attachment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
10 Apr 2012 13:44 #37201 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: CV's
What year / model of Forrester do they come from and do the CV's knock straight on to the end of standard Jimny shafts do you know?

Also, can you find out what vehicle the shafts you use are from and are they the same diameter for the axle oil seal to run on?

Cheers

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2012 19:23 #37222 by panosd
90% i remember that the cv's are from 1999-2000 forester. They have 22spline end so it can also be used with jimny axle shafts as well.

The axle shafts i dont remember from what car they are. I will have to find the mechanic who gave them.

The cv's in order to be fitted in the axle end a little trimming at this spot is required.

example pic
Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2012 11:34 #37277 by kirkynut
Thank-you. If you can find out what car the shafts are from I'd be grateful.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ianR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2012 21:13 #49947 by ianR
Replied by ianR on topic Re: CV's
Has anyone else tried this out ?

More
11 Oct 2012 08:23 #49961 by kirkynut
I'd be looking for the parts and would give it a go if he could tell me where the shafts come from. Otherwise it's a non starter!

Kirkynut

• ianR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 18:13 #50012 by ianR
Replied by ianR on topic Re: CV's
Thats a shame as i could do with something stronger now after going through a few.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds