BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Winch

More
31 Jan 2024 20:29 - 31 Jan 2024 20:31 #253932 by Ponamore
Winch was created by Ponamore
Hi I fitted OME 40mm lift kit today and a hidden winch, does any one now to any aftermarket grills that can be fitted to the front on the bumper?
Cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2024 20:31 by Ponamore. Reason: missing word

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2024 20:55 #254081 by Ponamore
Replied by Ponamore on topic Winch
Sorted cut original grill and looks ok

More
06 Feb 2024 22:20 #254082 by 300bhpton

More
07 Feb 2024 13:53 #254106 by Ulltand
Replied by Ulltand on topic Winch

Sorted cut original grill and looks ok

Same here. It works fins imo.

More
20 Feb 2024 21:03 - 20 Feb 2024 21:03 #254492 by Ponamore
Hi I used a superwinch Tiger Shark TS9500

See pics attached 
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 21:03 by Ponamore.

More
21 Feb 2024 13:42 #254500 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Winch
Obviously it was your decision, but a 9500 lb winch on a Jimny would be considered overkill, so was there a specific reason for the choice?

Roger

More
25 Feb 2024 08:48 #254565 by Ponamore
Price and what was available but I don’t think its an over kill the winch fits nice and will get it out of most situations.
A one and half ton truck stuck in a muddy bog hole will easily double in weight not that I will ever get in that position.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:56 #254574 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Winch
Sorry . I know what suit one does not suit another.

9500 is absolute overkill on a jimny. Jimny is not suppose to recover 4000kg vehicles.
Winch on jimny is to recover yourself or simmilar jimny.
My 4500 got me out of many stuck scenarios.

9500 asking to break things on a jimny :)

Just my experience last 10 years throughout southern africa overlanding. Never needed a snatch block ever, though it form part of my recovery gear. Snatch blick is my insurance for exceptional recovery.

Why put so much weight and added stress on the front

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
25 Feb 2024 16:31 #254576 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:Winch
I had a 4,500 lb winch on my SJ and an 8,000 lb on my LC and both were adequate. No point in adding extra weight. Generally the extra power is at the expense of reduced line speed.

Roger

More
29 Feb 2024 17:09 #254704 by Ponamore
Replied by Ponamore on topic Re:Winch
Like I mentioned you've never been stuck in a peat bog in wales for hours on end when a 1.5t vehicle becomes at least 3t.
Everyone is different but I have been in the lifting game all my life and no one ever buys something on the limit for safety reasons.

More
01 Mar 2024 10:01 #254713 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Re:Winch
This is a very interesting installation. Can you tell us about the wiring you did for the winch? Back of the envelope suggests the winch would draw >300 amps at rated power, so I am guessing you have installed another battery and some HD cables too.

I have been thinking of some electric upgrades to my Jimny, but nothing so ambitious -- would be interested to see your setup!

More
01 Mar 2024 10:18 #254714 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Winch
Unless the pulling Jimny is itself lashed to something, the maximum winch pull you can use is its own weight, otherwise the Jimny will just slide towards the stuck vehicle.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a margin of error to  cover any snatch on take-up, winch manufacturers' exaggerations, etc.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds