BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More tpms woes.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Sep 2022 05:53 #245117 by Lambert
More tpms woes. was created by Lambert
Background, I bought 4 cheaper sensors for the spare wheels and 3 worked fine. Bought a 5th and had the suspect one changed for the new one. Part of this Included the suspect one being tested and found to work but it is now a spare. This was a few months ago and I have only now put the spare wheels on to show off at the weekend. With the main wheels on all 4 factory sensors are talking to the car. Anyway spare wheels on and again no communication from the newest sensor until it was recognised for the last 20 minutes of the journey home on Saturday night. All good. Sunday morning drive to Newcastle and back to not talking with the car again there and back. 

So I know that all 9 sensors are capable of talking with the car as they have done at least once for 20 minutes. I also have to assume that the recieving parts on the car are good as they seem quite happy talking with the factory wheels.

I'm confused, why do I have this persistent fault of the car not always talking with the front driver wheel on  the spare wheels even with a new sensor but not always. What else is there that would cause this?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 06:11 #245118 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic More tpms woes.
Oh and using the sz viewer I am able to cancel the light which seems to initiate a partial relearn but only for about 20 minutes before it gets upset again. Is it possible that the brain can only remember so many sensors or is there a way of doing a hard reset that doesn't include unpowering the stereo? I have wondered if there is a software revision for the tpms but the factory sensors are fine? I really don't understand why?

More
26 Sep 2022 12:10 - 26 Sep 2022 12:12 #245124 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic More tpms woes.
The tpms will possibly only remember 5 sensors, one for each wheel and one for the spare, so it might be that for some reason it is getting confused about which sensor is currently active, especially if it has stored more than 5.

I am not sure if you can reset the sensors or clear the old codes? A bit of a pain every time you change wheels.

The other thing that can happen is that one or more of the sensors doesn't get a very good signal or one sensor is 'over-active' and it is transmitting far more frequently than it should, blocking the signal from all the sensors. The sensors normally only send a value once a minute or so and sometimes use a random time interval to stop collisions.

The sensors should be set to 433.92MHz for Europe (315MHz is used elsewhere in the world), but unfortunately that frequency is used for a lot of things, including wireless doorbells, two way radios, key remotes, etc, etc.

My after-market sensor on both cars were a right pain to set up at my house, I had to drive the Jimny away when I wanted to pair a new sensor as two cars, the door bell, my weather station, etc all stopped the new sensor from been recognised.

Pity you didn't pass by I have a small spectrum analyser and radio that covers that frequency, I could have checked for excessive noise.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 12:12 by DrRobin.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 13:11 #245128 by Lambert
Thank you. Though that doesn't explain why it's capable of working with it wants to, nothing else is being changed as far as I know? Also when it's in the initial learn when I put the wheels on the bad sensor is given as position 2. When it's done a few cycles it is then designated as 4 and the others are given name position as well as number. But then sometimes it just works?

More
27 Sep 2022 07:49 #245147 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic More tpms woes.
The Suzuki TPMS only stores data on 4 sensors. If you change over to the spare it has to relearn.

However it relearns anyway after any break longer than 20 minutes. By break, it means a complete shutdown, lock the doors and walk away.

Suzuki recommended to me that the "20 minutes" can be as long as 2 hours!

So after changing a wheel, TPMS will only properly learn after this break has happened, however it will eventually learn regardless of whether there is a break or not. The longest mine took to relearn was close to a 90 minutes drive to Bristol!.

The overall process timing is:

20 Minutes switched off - complete system clear down and reset.
10 Minutes from starting to drive - rapid learning period. During this time try to maintain a steady driving speed without dropping below about 15mph.
10 minutes plus - slow learning period.

As DrRobin says, the sensors transmit in the Industrial, Scientific and Medical band which is free for all low power devices to use. Therefore other sources may interfere with them. They are very low power (they have to run off a button cell) and transmit infrequently.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Sep 2022 08:48 #245149 by Lambert
It couldn't be the obd Bluetooth that is interfering could it?

More
27 Sep 2022 09:04 #245150 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic More tpms woes.
Not directly. Bluetooth is on 2.4Ghz whilst TPMS is on 433Mhz (and 125khz for sensor activation systems) That doesnt mean it is not "de-sensitising" the TPMS system however.

Wheel rims can affect it. The sensors on our Swift and the Jimnys are identical but the Swift sensors are easily read whllst you have to fiddle about with the angle to get a reading off the Jimny alloys. If your Jimny is like the new ones then the TPMS reader is under the dash by the drivers right hand knee, so the offside rear wheel is the furthest away from it etc,

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Sep 2022 13:16 #245154 by Lambert
Ok thanks. So it's one wheel with a cheap sensor nearest the receiver and also the obd port that is on a different frequency that is more often than not giving issue yet any factory sensors in the same position is absolutely fine. Could be forgiven for thinking it wants me to buy 4 new factory sensors for a laugh. It's a pity that disabling the system is a major fail on the MOT not just an advisory.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Oct 2022 16:12 #245458 by Lambert
Before I buy a big box of matches and some petrol, I need to give this another kick around the block. All the way down to the weekend meet the tpms light has been on saying it can't talk to the front right sensor. So very kindly Martin allowed me to follow him home last night and check the wheels with one of his diagnosis tools. Wouldn't you believe it but on the drive over it read all 4 sensors and behaved. We checked them anyway and they are all good. This lasted for the rest of the evening back to the digs. All day today and it's back to not communicating. When I have finally got home and used the borrowed tester all 4 wheels are live and work. I'm just about to put the road wheels straight and confirm that they are good but I just need to know why I have one wheel out of 8 that is temperamental, yet different wheels in that position work. I'm going mad!

More
17 Oct 2022 17:33 #245459 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:More tpms woes.
So the sensor is working if the tool detected it.

I think the tool has a "key test" menu item. It's for testing key remote controls, it is on the same frequency as the tpms sensor. Therefore if you can set it to key test and wave it close to the tpms receiver it should show nothing, If it shows a signal present you may have a source of electrical noise

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
17 Oct 2022 18:31 #245463 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:More tpms woes.
Yes I have seen that. I'll have a look in the daylight tomorrow. Thank you!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 08:35 #245471 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:More tpms woes.
Tested for additional 433 signals from around the wheel arch and dash area and nothing, running or not, ignition on or off.

Road wheels on and sz viewer shows them all come live within 3 miles 5 minutes not the 10 or 15 miles and 15 to 18 minutes of the Chinese ones?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds