BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

can anyone advice me on choosing the right winch

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 22:56 #61620 by jimnybob
hey guys. I'm wanting to get a winch but dont know where to start really :S so many different numbers and things that i dont understand :blush: hope someone can advise me on what i should get or what i should be looking at? or if anyone has one suitable for sale? kind regards bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 23:00 #61621 by Sponnie
Goodwinch TDS is a very good vfm winch with lots of accessories available. I also know a few on here with good things to say about some winch off ebay, but do ask Darthloachie, TomDK and other peeps who have first hand experience.

9500lbs is ideal, 8000lbs minimum.

Maybe you could get a deal at the Donnington show next Sunday?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 23:08 #61622 by jimnybob
do you think there will be good deals at donnington??

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 23:31 #61626 by Dan_w
Hi Bob, I have just brought and fitted one of these 12500lb ebay winches to my Jimny. I have not used it in anger yet but ran it out and winch myself up a hill today to spool the wire in under some tension and it was farly quick.

Its a cheap option so you do not get all the features you would on Warn's etc but for what I want it for it seems ok, a few local guys have run the 13000lb version and dont seem to have anything negative to say about them.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 00:29 - 09 Feb 2013 00:30 #61628 by TomDK
There are lots of great winches out there. But on a budget I'd get a Goodwinch TDS 9.5C. No question a great buy, and better than the cheap series from Warn. And David Bowyer from Goodwinch gives excellent support. And as Sponnie points out, lots of great add-ons for later on, Like the new Bowmotor 3.

I know lots of users here are happy with their very cheap 12500/13000 lb. winches. But they are stupidly slow and not possible at all to upgrade or get spare parts for.

Also worth considering could be SuperWinch, although I've read some negative things about the new Talon range.

So, go get at TDS winch, or find yourself a used Warn 8274 B)

I actually have my TDS 9.5c for sale. But shipping to the UK is insanely expensive :) Only selling because I've got my hands on a Warn 8274 :)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2013 00:30 by TomDK.

More
09 Feb 2013 12:14 #61669 by kirkynut
I would also suggest a Goodwinch if you can afford one. Not only does David offer a good service when you buy it, spares etc, as TomDK says, but you can send it back to him when it needs servicing and it will come back like new again, to save you having to do it yourself.

Otherwise, if it is too expensive, you could look at the Warrior range from Winch Solutions as they can offer aftermarket back up too - the only thing is they are not that cheap any more as they try to up their game and standing in this country.

Or ypou could just get a cheap one and bear in mind the quality might not be all that good, it might be quite slow but realise you may have to buy another in a few years. Having said that, there are a number of people on here that use and abuse cheap winches and swear by them, Winchmax being the main brand.

I have a second hand Superwinch Epi9500 which has served me well, albeit I had to buy a new motor last year. I managed to get a second hand Bowmotor 1 from a mate who's been in the Challenge scene and is building a tray back 90, that he's been building since time began ( well a few years anyway! ). The motor was like new, so again I did well.

If you join a club, winches come and go like that. They sell so quickly they rarely get advertised as you don't need to do so. It becomes, who you know etc.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 21:53 #61808 by jimnybob

Dan_w wrote: Hi Bob, I have just brought and fitted one of these 12500lb ebay winches to my Jimny. I have not used it in anger yet but ran it out and winch myself up a hill today to spool the wire in under some tension and it was farly quick.

Its a cheap option so you do not get all the features you would on Warn's etc but for what I want it for it seems ok, a few local guys have run the 13000lb version and dont seem to have anything negative to say about them.

that looks a very neat set up. have you got any pictures of it fitted? thanks for the link too :)

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 22:15 #61823 by jimnybob

TomDK wrote: There are lots of great winches out there. But on a budget I'd get a Goodwinch TDS 9.5C. No question a great buy, and better than the cheap series from Warn. And David Bowyer from Goodwinch gives excellent support. And as Sponnie points out, lots of great add-ons for later on, Like the new Bowmotor 3.

I know lots of users here are happy with their very cheap 12500/13000 lb. winches. But they are stupidly slow and not possible at all to upgrade or get spare parts for.

Also worth considering could be SuperWinch, although I've read some negative things about the new Talon range.

So, go get at TDS winch, or find yourself a used Warn 8274 B)

I actually have my TDS 9.5c for sale. But shipping to the UK is insanely expensive :) Only selling because I've got my hands on a Warn 8274 :)

how much would i be looking at total? pm me if you like

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 22:34 #61830 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic can anyone advice me on choosing the right winch
Tom is in Denmark so the postage will be silly expensive

A new goodwinch will set you back about £450 with a steel wire, a synthetic rope will add another £150 but are much safer as if they break they just fall to the floor, a steel wire could take your head off if your in the wrong place when it breaks

You can pay anything from £200 up to £4000 for a winch so you need to decide how much you want to pay and then narrow it down from there

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 23:19 #61842 by jimnybob

darthloachie wrote: Tom is in Denmark so the postage will be silly expensive

A new goodwinch will set you back about £450 with a steel wire, a synthetic rope will add another £150 but are much safer as if they break they just fall to the floor, a steel wire could take your head off if your in the wrong place when it breaks

You can pay anything from £200 up to £4000 for a winch so you need to decide how much you want to pay and then narrow it down from there

i dont want to spend anymore than £400 really as this will leave me scope to do other mods to my jimny. The one dan-w sent me a link for is the sort of thing im after but i might go for the 13000lb as its not that much more expensive.

• jimnybob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 23:20 #61843 by jimnybob
does anyone think it will be worth waiting for donnington to see if i can get a bit of a deal or will the one dan-w sent me the link for be the cheapest in what im looking for? thanks for the responses tooo

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 23:40 - 09 Feb 2013 23:46 #61846 by TomDK
What are you looking for, what are your needs?

It would be plain stupid to go out and buy the cheapest winch possible now and then regret it in six months. Sometimes it can be expensive buying cheap. Not saying that you can't settle with a cheap winchMax. Just that you need to give it a thought, if perhaps you should save up a month more to have money for a Goodwinch/superwinch or similar.

If you plan on driving in a lot of mud and deep bogs, a decent winch is a must. And throwing in an additional £100 should be within financial range :-)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2013 23:46 by TomDK.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds