BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
17 Aug 2021 16:39 - 17 Aug 2021 16:42 #237669 by lookonimages

Roger Fairclough wrote: Before you splash out on adjustable Panhard rods, do you actually need them?

I have a 50mm lift and a quick check indicated no difference left to right so no need for expensive adj. rods.

Roger

If you read my post properly you will see it has been measured and is out 5mm. So not every lift seem to have same effect.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 16:42 by lookonimages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2021 20:17 #237678 by Roger Fairclough
When I made my comment re: need for adj. panhard rods, I was referring to the comments made by Mr Paynter.

Roger

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2021 11:49 #238019 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread
Quite happy to report my Jimny is currently at Des Sol getting the 50mm lift fitted including their adjustable panhard bars, which I see they announced last week on social media!

More
30 Aug 2021 18:38 #238026 by lookonimages

MrPaynterZA wrote: Quite happy to report my Jimny is currently at Des Sol getting the 50mm lift fitted including their adjustable panhard bars, which I see they announced last week on social media!

Awesome news. Please update on your thoughts of dessol.

Yes indeed, i saw they released the panhard bars.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2021 13:34 - 03 Sep 2021 13:36 #238182 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

Awesome news. Please update on your thoughts of dessol.

Yes indeed, i saw they released the panhard bars.

Hello, so sorry for the delay!
I have been travelling for work this week, which also means I haven't driven all that much, potentially only 2-300kms but it is most definitely a case of so far so good. I find the road manners much better, particularly with less body roll when cornering. It is not 100% alleviated but it may rock slightly once and settle rather than that 2-3 subtle 'rocks' left and right after cornering. Likewise the limited bit of dirt /grass driving in test, as well as and up and down some pavements has felt smooth and planted. 

Have you resolved your pull to the right as yet? When I collected my car it was still being finalised (the panhard bars were still to be adjusted.)
We needed to move my vehicle out for another vehicle to access the workshop and my quick test drive also revealed a pull to the right, but once they adjusted the panhard bars she is perfectly centered and planted. I would suggest reaching out to Lynton at Des Sol as he is very approachable (and knowledgable) and may have a quick solve for you if this is still occuring.

My last note is I have also bumped my tyres up a size from 205/70r15s to 215/80r15s today, keeping with the Goodyear Wranglers. With alignment being done now as well, I believe everything is 100% to spec. 

I feel I have hijacked your thread somewhat, apologies for this!
Last edit: 03 Sep 2021 13:36 by MrPaynterZA. Reason: Spelling

More
04 Sep 2021 05:04 #238199 by lookonimages
Paynter
I am glad you sorted.
Yes I know both Rob an Lynton well. They are great people and always helpfull. They have helped me many times. One company I always recommend.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
04 Oct 2021 10:52 - 04 Oct 2021 11:26 #239129 by lookonimages
Added a little teeny weeny spade as I have removed the back seats and have no use for the grab handles.

but I don't think it is good idea, so it might come off again :)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2021 11:26 by lookonimages.

More
04 Oct 2021 12:41 #239131 by Roger Fairclough
The "Sword of Damocles" comes to mind.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2021 14:49 #239133 by Lambert
Yeah that would make me nervous at head height.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Oct 2021 17:32 - 04 Oct 2021 17:33 #239142 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: Yeah that would make me nervous at head height.

LOL, yeah I at least now know the feeling.
:)

so yes it has been taken off. when you bored some people like me seem to think out some crappy ideas
Last edit: 04 Oct 2021 17:33 by lookonimages.

More
04 Oct 2021 21:06 #239149 by Roger Fairclough
Don't think of it as a crappy idea, think of it as an idea that you decided was not so good after all.

If you had left it in place, then it would be a crappy idea.

Roger

More
04 Feb 2022 21:14 - 04 Feb 2022 22:18 #241700 by lookonimages
added 2 frontrunner load bars with a new custom 10L jerry can holder. really no usage for full roofrack. if I ever need something very long to carry I can just move the one rack to front of jimny.

Used a frontrunner 20L jerry can holder and shortened it to fit a 10L.

Perposional I think 10L jerry can looks better on a Jimny (though others might not agree). a 20L jerry can just do look way to big on a small 4x4. yes rather have 2 smaller 10L cans than 1x 20L purely for "perportion". intention is to have one each side with custom storage box, inbetween jerry cans. storage box will mainly be for some recovery gear that could be easily reached if need ever arise on some 4x4 trips.

Think I might even make another 2 to have 4 smaller jerry cans. I am more than happy with additional 20L if I ever need it, and 40L would be really a lot extra.

Had it powder coated again after cuts and welding.

will only have the jerry can holders fitted for 4x4 trips. normal daily drive it will off the vehicle, meaning 95% off time it will be in garage :)

Last edit: 04 Feb 2022 22:18 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds