BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
30 Jun 2021 20:55 #236267 by Roger Fairclough
OK fordem, I will bow out at this point as you are adding to the spec. Anyway discussions like this annoy the moderator as there is no point to them.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2021 09:45 - 09 Jul 2021 08:34 #236476 by lookonimages
Just added the escape gear seat covers. 
easy to fit but a real pain to fasten them as it cannot be fastened as per their instruction and their escape gear instruction video but i found alternative way. The following video sort of giving an alternative way to fasten it. I used similar holes on side.

the quality though is exceptional.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 08:34 by lookonimages.

More
12 Jul 2021 17:09 #236636 by HFPE

lookonimages wrote: Just added the escape gear seat covers. 
easy to fit but a real pain to fasten them as it cannot be fastened as per their instruction and their escape gear instruction video but i found alternative way. The following video sort of giving an alternative way to fasten it. I used similar holes on side.

Also found they didn't quite "cover" the bottom tie in the instructions, we looped around the base, looked like too much PT to dig for holes.

Wanted to ask if you fitted the des sol breather kit yet, are their instructions any good?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

More
13 Jul 2021 07:46 #236649 by saxj

lookonimages wrote: Just added the escape gear seat covers. 

Also found they didn't quite "cover" the bottom tie in the instructions, we looped around the base, looked like too much PT to dig for holes.

Wanted to ask if you fitted the des sol breather kit yet, are their instructions any good?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I also looped the bottom tie around the rail. No ill effects after 2 1/2 years.

More
22 Jul 2021 13:34 - 22 Jul 2021 13:43 #236880 by lookonimages
Added frontrunner floor panel.

Verdict.
Money wise I would be more then have happy to pay same amount to just get the rails as that would have taken me ages to manufacture myself.

Mounting rails looks sturdy, but I might add an extra rail linking rails at 90degree to current 3 rails linking them up. This should be very easy to do..

Woodpanels might be a little "light" for some people's liking. Definately too "light" for my liking. I would definately change the fĺoor boards to facilitate "doors" for easy access as there are lots of space to use under floor boards. Current setup also block back side of floor where jack is situated. For now only fastened with one bolt on each corner.

Took about 1 hour to remove seats and install floor board system.

I did add rubber pieces between the rail and the body work where rails are fastened. Only thing i would have added to package if I was frontrunner. They dont seem to be to great on providing rubber where metal meets metal.

Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 13:43 by lookonimages.

More
22 Jul 2021 16:25 #236884 by saxj

Verdict.
Money wise I would be more then have happy to pay same amount to just get the rails as that would have taken me ages to manufacture myself.

Mounting rails looks sturdy, but I might add an extra rail linking rails at 90degree to current 3 rails linking them up. This should be very easy to do..

Woodpanels might be a little "light" for some people's liking. Definately too "light" for my liking. I would definately change the fĺoor boards to facilitate "doors" for easy access as there are lots of space to use under floor boards. Current setup also block back side of floor where jack is situated. For now only fastened with one bolt on each corner.

I did add rubber pieces between the rail and the body work where rails are fastened. Only thing i would have added to package if I was frontrunner. They dont seem to be to great on providing rubber where metal meets metal.

Wow, what a space waster. I can't believe that there is no easy access to the tools. And the flat floor is gone. At least the price is reasonable.

More
22 Jul 2021 17:38 #236887 by Roger Fairclough
Yes, I agree with saxj on this as I can't see the point of it. You have gained a flat floor - well nearly - the new floor doesn't marry up with the side pieces and the rear box has nowhere to go so you have lost out on that!

I made a box out of scrap pieces of MDF and ply that reached up to the level of the side pieces and with two flat doors gave me, a box, which although not huge on volume, is still a useful box.

Roger

More
23 Jul 2021 05:29 - 23 Jul 2021 09:55 #236897 by lookonimages

saxj wrote:

Verdict.

Wow, what a space waster. I can't believe that there is no easy access to the tools. And the flat floor is gone. At least the price is reasonable.

Agree, as said the floor board will be replaced with 16mm ply wood and doors will be part of it to access that space.
I was more interested in geting the rails that give me a flat service and layout was same as i have build on my gen3

The link below was my previous gen 3 floorboard and you will see how i made it with floor door access.

www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread....48-Jimny-floor-board

Last edit: 23 Jul 2021 09:55 by lookonimages.

More
08 Aug 2021 20:20 - 08 Aug 2021 20:30 #237417 by lookonimages
Update on my flat deck.
Removed the frontrunner middle piece.

Then added 3 wooden pieces in the length of vehicle from back door to just behind seats. All bolted to floor using existent hole for seats. Also fastened it to the frantrunner metal sections.

So i know have 3 boxes under floorboard.
2 big ones (all for recovery gear and tools) and a smaller one where jack is that is working on a door that lift up.

Then added 3 mm rubber sections.

The two main boxes as accessed from the front behind the seats. This front baccess door is held in place with 2 points on each side using existing holes.

The floorboard is attached to frame fixed to vehicle. Below you can see door for the jack section. (Not yes fastened :) )

Carpeted floor and jack door.
Added the 3 rails where you can fasten any load with removalble clips with rings.

In general day to day the clips will be removed and carpet is used for the odd grocery run. Carpet will let grocery bags not slide so easily. Anyway to a lot less extend when seats were in and folded down. That plastic on back of seats was very slippery.

Photo below is with clips to rails

When I load camping stuff i first add a rubber lining over the carpet (photo to follow)
Last edit: 08 Aug 2021 20:30 by lookonimages.

More
08 Aug 2021 20:26 #237418 by Soeley
Looking good and I like it, but got to ask the question. Is there a reason you didn't make level with the sides?

More
09 Aug 2021 06:16 - 09 Aug 2021 06:20 #237430 by lookonimages

Soeley wrote: Looking good and I like it, but got to ask the question. Is there a reason you didn't make level with the sides?

Yes that is deliberately like that for long term project. I am goung to add a floor slide system. The floor's top side will be level with the sides then. So the little indentation will accomodate the slide runners. This will then enable easier access. Below is what I mean as an example. Mine will work differently in so much it will run with slders

The area that can be slide out between wheel wells fit exactly 2 crates alongside each other but that for sure is a long term project. Example of what slide board will look like, mine will be much smaller :)

Currently the crates will be loaded and secured two alongside each other and the load area can take 4 crates on current flloor board and is perfect fit between the sunken area rails.

Will post some photos with the crates loaded so that you can see. 4 crates will contain most of camping essentials.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 06:20 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
09 Aug 2021 06:25 - 09 Aug 2021 06:25 #237431 by Soeley
Thanks, I thought you must have had a reason. Looks like a good little project.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 06:25 by Soeley.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds