BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
06 Nov 2020 08:26 #229737 by lookonimages
Soeley.
That is exactly the plan I have in mind.
JB

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2020 08:56 #229738 by Roger Fairclough
That's a nice setup with the winch. I would suggest you close off the mouth of the mounting tube to stop muck getting in as it could prevent you attaching the winch. A piece of gaffer tape or similar would do.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
06 Nov 2020 09:14 #229739 by saxj

lookonimages wrote:
The winch is just for own recovery in emegency. No intention of playing with the big dogs. So the 4500 pound winch should be ample for own usage. Together with a snatch block it should be ample enough for my kind of offroad.

A 4500lb winch is adequate for a Jimny. If you start stalling the winch, start thinking more carefully about how you are stuck. Look what is preventing you from moving. If you are thinking of using a snatch block to double the force, consider whether you really want to apply 4 tons of force to your Jimny.

I use a snatchblock when the distance is too short, i.e. you have too many wraps of wire on the drum, or when I need to divert the force e.g. recovering someone else that needs to be pulled back on to the road.

More
06 Nov 2020 10:41 - 06 Nov 2020 10:44 #229745 by lookonimages

saxj wrote:

lookonimages wrote:
The winch is just for own recovery in emegency. No intention of playing with the big dogs. So the 4500 pound winch should be ample for own usage. Together with a snatch block it should be ample enough for my kind of offroad.

A 4500lb winch is adequate for a Jimny. If you start stalling the winch, start thinking more carefully about how you are stuck. Look what is preventing you from moving. If you are thinking of using a snatch block to double the force, consider whether you really want to apply 4 tons of force to your Jimny.

I use a snatchblock when the distance is too short, i.e. you have too many wraps of wire on the drum, or when I need to divert the force e.g. recovering someone else that needs to be pulled back on to the road.

Thanks SAXJ.
I dont do anything extreme like you guys up keggelberg. So yeah i should be good just for a trail here and there. Dont actually see myself ever using it, but a nice to have for the odd trip alone..

Roger
Thanks for that recommendation

Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 10:44 by lookonimages.

More
06 Nov 2020 11:08 #229747 by X8GGY

More
06 Nov 2020 11:27 #229748 by Roger Fairclough
Just a few more points whilst I have the little grey cells switched on. I note you have a KERR for recovery but for the times you are solo you can use this rope to supplement the winch by connecting the KERR between the winch hook and a suitable anchor. You operate the winch to stretch the KERR and then drive forward/backwoods as necessary. If you need to, stop and re-tension. For larger 4x4's ie over 2 tonnes, a 24mm KERR is fairly standard. For my SJ413 - similar size and weight to a Jimny I used an 18mm nylon rope which I found suited the lower weight. I would suggest you try your KERR by pulling against a solid anchor such as a tree. Take the necessary precautions to safeguard the tree and yourself by looping a sweater or similar object midway along the KERR to absorb the kinetic energy if anything breaks. You don't need to try a full blooded yank, just a gentle pull to get the idea as to how it works. Shackles should be rated and stamped accordingly. Any form of recovery can be dangerous so take your time and be methodical about how you intend to proceed. We are always here to advise.

Roger

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2020 08:02 #229769 by Andy2640
I have a 4500ibs winch too. It does the job nicely!! Looking great btw :)

More
07 Nov 2020 10:42 #229772 by lookonimages

Andy2640 wrote: I have a 4500ibs winch too. It does the job nicely!! Looking great btw :)

Thanks Andy.

More
11 Nov 2020 16:44 - 11 Nov 2020 16:57 #229941 by lookonimages
Finally received my heko wind deflectors. Jimnyz here on the forum did let me know of place that ships to South Africa.

Very well packaged... !! They use uk ebay but are in latvia.
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/viesturs_autoparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I had similar ones on my old gen3. They fit inside window and is super slim line and front go down all the way to the bottom

Must be the smallest instruction guide ever that i saw. Inch and half by inch and half.

Heko wind deflectors

Front all way down

Now that is slim fit

From inside out

Sorry for dust and finger marks. Only saw it after uploading pictures.

Last edit: 11 Nov 2020 16:57 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Groenewald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 16:26 #230030 by Groenewald
Replied by Groenewald on topic Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

I am pretty impressed with the heavy duty stuff on the Jimny!

More
15 Nov 2020 11:24 - 15 Nov 2020 19:20 #230055 by lookonimages
Made a little plug for my winch bar to close off. Consist of short section thflushat go into tube and a front lip.

The decorative little clip a bit off centre.
Oh well..!
Here the plug is all the way pushed in with rubber flush against steel

Last edit: 15 Nov 2020 19:20 by lookonimages.

More
19 Nov 2020 09:18 - 19 Nov 2020 14:47 #230194 by lookonimages
Sick and tired of companies not wanting small jobs in South Africa where it seems that business is so good they look down at odd jobs. Boggles my mind.

Got myself a tig welding machine that also do alluminium.

Huge learning curve. My friend who can tig will spend a few evenings teaching.

Watch this space for a few upcomming projects.

Last edit: 19 Nov 2020 14:47 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds