BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
24 Dec 2020 10:51 #231157 by Roger Fairclough
When you did your road test you had the supplementary grill fitted but have now reverted to the standard design. Did you have a problem?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2021 18:40 #231457 by 300bhpton
Got a new Jimny accessory for Christmas. So have got it fitted. Very quick and easy to fit too.

One of my few complaints with the Jimny is the lack of USB and 12v power points. Thankfully this can be solved with this addition (from JimnyStyle).

It plugs into the existing 12v socket and in return gives you 2 x 12v sockets and 2 x USB ports. Plus retaining the factory USB port that you need to connect to the stereo.

Now I have somewhere to plug a radio in (CB/PMR446) I'll be sorting something out.

Before:

After:

More
25 Jan 2021 22:56 #232185 by 300bhpton
So we eventually got some snow, first lot in 2 winters for the area. :D

I actually had a job to do and was out in the Matbro delivering water when it came down.

By the time I left the road was nicely covered. Sadly lots of complete and utter idiots about, but made it back safely enough.

But I'd gone out in the Range Rover, not the Jimny. But I can't complain, the Range Rover went really well in the snow. Despite having owned it for quite a few years. This was the first time I'd got to drive it in the snow. Super impressed with the Kuhmo MT51's, they worked very very well in the somewhat wet snow.

It really felt like it would go anywhere with ease. And did so.

But I was keen to try the Jimny out in the snow too and the Maxxis Wormdrive tyres. But I had to wait until the next day.

Despite the snow being quite wet and great for snowballs and snowmen, the overnight low temps meant it had frosted by this morning and gone much more brittle. And a lot more icy. Sadly, most of the snow on the roads had also gone. Bar some side roads. But there were icy patches and slush about.

As a long time Land Rover owner I've always been used to permanent 4 wheel drive. Where you can run between tarmac and slippery sections without needing to do anything. The Part-time 4 wheel drive in the Jimny does require a bit more driver intervention in switching back and forth between 2-Hi and 4-Hi. And if left in 2-Hi you do feel somewhat less confident in it.

That said it still went brilliantly. And the tyres impressed too. It would have been nice to get a full back to back with the MT51's on the Range Rover. But I'd say they are close, with the edge to the MT51's on snowy roads.

I did however get chance for a bit of a play off road. :D :D

Some mud was showing by this time. But still quite a lot of frosted snow. Here the Maxxis Wormdirves simply surpassed expectations. I know the TCS on the Jimny helps and is brilliant in its own right too. But the entire combination was unstoppable... pretty much. Very very pleased with how it went and also pleased with my choice of tyres. I wouldn't not expect an AT to be able to perform so well in such conditions.

My brother had his Trail Hawk out too, he is running winters. Hugely capable too, although somewhat less sure footed on this terrain in these conditions. And the tyres while great on road could clearly be seen working less well than the All Terrains off of it.

That said, for the comfort and on road ability of the Trail Hawk with its all independent suspension, I find it in many ways more impressive than the new Defender as an all round capable vehicle.

Short vid to follow....

More
More
19 Sep 2021 19:00 #238803 by 300bhpton
Towbar update:

Fitted a towbar yesterday. I opted for the the Tow Trust one in the end (thanks for the recommendation Lambert). As the Suzuki one seems hard to find in stock and pricey.

Thus far quite pleased, got it for a good price in the end. It came well boxed and packaged with adequate instructions.

Fitting is pretty simple, remove the rear bumper, which actually comes off super easy, although the electric plugs put up more of a fight to undo (rear lights).

Then you have two side brackets that bolt to each chassis rail and the bar bolts between them. Then the quick release bolts to the bar.

Very glad I decided to fit myself, it gave me chance to apply Dinitrol to some areas I couldn't reach previously.

And I found some rust!! On the near side chassis mounting point for the body.

I assume this was a paint defect or chip at manufacture with exposed metal that has started to rust. Not really very good on a vehicle that is only 18 months old or so.

I treated it with a rust neutraliser and then sprayed with Dinitrol.

The bar look like it hangs down really low, but it isn't actually any lower than the factory rear tow/recovery points. And needs to be this low to clear the rear bumper. I think off road there is the potential for it to impact the ground, but suspect it won't be a major problem.

All fitted and back together. Very impressed with the 'quick release' mechanism. It really is very quick and easy to fit and remove the hitch.

I haven't towed with it yet. I still need to get the electrics fitted. But I did try the old sheep trailer on the back for size.

The tow bar comes with a small bag and it happily fits perfectly into the rear storage tray in the back of the Jimny. So easy to keep with the vehicle should I need it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

More
10 Oct 2021 22:06 - 10 Oct 2021 22:07 #239285 by 300bhpton
Last edit: 10 Oct 2021 22:07 by 300bhpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

• CostaRicaJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2021 17:00 #239813 by CostaRicaJimny
Replied by CostaRicaJimny on topic My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
Nice thread! Mine arrives in January, same color. I love how those tires look! Can't wait for mine to arrive and put some mods on it.

More
21 Nov 2021 18:55 #240274 by 300bhpton
Bit of playing today. Went and scrutineered for an RTV event, there was also a Tyro. Kinda tempted to have entered, but sadly too much going on. So just a bit of fun over the fields instead.

All flexed out....

...impressive. But shows the limitations of the stock suspension. Longer shocks are a must and looking forward to fitting a suspension kit next year.

Front passenger (LH) wheel is off the ground and you can rock the vehicle back and forth :D

More
29 Mar 2022 09:52 #242542 by 300bhpton
Time for another update.

2nd year service done and dusted. About bang on the 12,000 mile prediction, which was nice.

Got the dealer to fit the trailer electrics (I'd previously already fitted the towbar). Ultimately the cost of fitting the electrics was low enough that I didn't bother doing it myself when you factor the cost of the genuine wiring harness.

No other changes to the Jimny as of yet. I have noticed a couple more stone chips, which is disappointing. I will raise with Suzuki and the dealer, but doubt I'll get anywhere with it.

As a bit of fun I've done a comparison video also.

More
29 Mar 2022 13:57 #242551 by Roger Fairclough
Stone chips are a way of life and you would stand a better chance of complaining to the local council and their response will be a shrug of the shoulder at best. So far I have a stone chip just above the screen and 3 stones that have bounced of the screen, all without damage.

Roger

More
08 Apr 2022 11:27 #242793 by 300bhpton
Wireless Apple CarPlay Upgrade

Stumbled across this on a YouTube video, but did some reading and looked promising. So ordered up a device.

Very simple, plug it in, turn on the car. Wait for the factor infotainment to say Apple Carplay and select it on the in car screen, search for the device on your iPhone (Bluetooth) and connect. And hey presto! Wireless CarPlay 

When you get back in the vehicle it should reconnect automatically. Mine seemed to take 30 secs or so, similar to what the bluetooth used to take previously.

Will have to see how reliable it is, but hoping it will.

I got mine from Amazon on next day delivery for £85.99, but I can't comment on if this is a good price or not or if it will change.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CZ65SV4/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More
14 May 2022 08:14 #243312 by 300bhpton
First towing job with the Jimny. Went and collected a car transporter yesterday. About a 100 miles back home. 

thought it towed very well for the most part. One hill on the A34 I had to drop to 4th and still couldn’t maintain 60mph (dual carriageway). But the rest of the time it was fine. 

of course the trailer was unload so probably only 500kg or so. Wouldn’t tow it loaded though as it would exceed the 1300kg tow rating of the JB74W. 

The reverse camera was brilliant for hitching on. You can see the tow ball easily with it and align perfectly. 

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds