BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

• Fossilman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2020 17:01 #217174 by Fossilman
Replied by Fossilman on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Hello. I am thinking about getting the Geolandars and wonder if your view of them remains positive after having them on for some time. Did yours come with white lettering, and could you tell me where you got them from? Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 17:59 - 11 Jan 2020 18:00 #217178 by Gadget
Hi, yes I still love them after 6000 miles :)

They did come with white lettering on one side, although I had them fitted with the lettering hidden on the inside as my other half didn't like it. They were supplied and fitted by Blackcircles.com, however they don't seem to have them on the site any longer.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2020 18:00 by Gadget.

• Fossilman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jan 2020 00:45 #217191 by Fossilman
Replied by Fossilman on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Many thanks

More
10 Apr 2020 18:28 #220905 by DAGZOOK

Gadget wrote: Fixed one of the things on my minor annoyances list. The lack of power to 12v accessory or USB sockets when the ignition is off prevents you from charging your phone when camping unless you have the car turned on.

I fitted a combined USB port/voltmeter into the blank for the JDM start button. The space could have been made for it! :)

Part used: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F8R9F6L/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Gadget! quick question, how did you remove the round blank in the trim panel where you've fitted this USB voltmeter, does it just pop out? I'm looking at fitting a voltmeter here also (hardwired to the battery). They all seem to be a standard 29mm so hoping it'll fit as snug as a bug in a rug just like yours :P

More
10 Apr 2020 22:01 #220912 by Soeley
Yes, the blank just pops out. To fit these the blank was drilled out and the USB fitted to the blank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
11 Apr 2020 10:12 - 11 Apr 2020 10:13 #220929 by Gadget
Thanks Soeley. What he said ^^^^^ :)
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 10:13 by Gadget.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2020 18:41 #228948 by Chalky the Jimny
Replied by Chalky the Jimny on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
EssexJimny - who did your dinitrol and how much was it (if you don't mind me asking).

I'm looking to do mine but seems crazy expensive everywhere.

Cheers!

Gareth

More
22 May 2021 17:40 - 22 May 2021 17:56 #235271 by Gadget
I hate it when there's some minor, tiny imperfection in something which no matter how hard you try, you can't ignore. From day 1 I've wanted a stereo with a volume knob on it. The steering wheel controls work fine, but sometimes the wheel is rotated and I've always liked something tactile that I can just whack up or down rapidly.

Like I said, a tiny annoyance.

So anyway, I've now cracked that tiny nut with mahoosive great sledgehammer! Behold the monstrosity that is the Kenwood DMX9720XDS! 10.1" of knob-twiddling pleasure!

Fitting it was fairly straightforward. The gen4 Jimny doesn't have any specific wiring adapters listed for it, so after getting in touch with Connects2 I plumped for wiring meant for the 2017 onwards Suzuki Swift, plus the Jimny-specific replacement bezel.

The things you need in addition to the new headunit are:

Connects2 CT23SZ21 - Suzuki Jimny 2018 onwards gloss black double din fascia
Connects2 CT27AA180 - Fakra to SMB DAB antenna adapter
Connects2 CTSSZ003.2 - Suzuki Swift/Ignis steering wheel control stalk interface adaptor
Connects2 CTMultilead.2
Connects2 CAM-SZ1-RT - Suzuki Swift/Ignis reverse camera retention interface
Connects2 CT27AA88 - Suzuki DIN antenna aerial adaptor

Which you then throw at the back of the unit and end up with this:  

All those adapters mean that you keep the OEM steering wheel controls, USB port, reversing camera (if fitted) and DAB/FM aerials. You don't get to use the OEM GPS aerial or microphone. The headunit was supplied with new GPS antenna (lots of places to stick it inside the dash behind the clocks) and massive ugly microphone - which I managed to squeeze into the camera housing at the top of the windscreen, so that's invisible too. 

You bolt the screen into place last, not forgetting the small plastic hinge cover (otherwise the unit won't start).  

The screen sits proud of the dash and can be angled by hand. It has four height settings, but those require the screen to be removed and bolts undone to adjust. I think this is on the bottom or next to bottom setting. 

The screen itself is lovely. Android auto works perfectly and is much snappier than the standard headunit. The only problem is that I now need to get a new phone to use the wireless Android auto that this headunit supports!

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2021 17:56 by Gadget.

More
22 May 2021 20:43 #235274 by Soeley
Looks a beast of a screen.

More
22 May 2021 21:07 #235275 by lightning
Good job fitting that unit, personally l don't like the look of it sat in front of the old unit like that.

But l agree that it would be great to have a proper volume control, the one on the screen is hopeless but the steering wheel controls are OK

More
22 May 2021 21:13 #235276 by Gadget
There's no old unit, that's all new. Having s bit of buyers remorse over cost and if screen is too big, but I'm sure it'll pass! :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2021 01:30 #235277 by Lambert
That's awesome! I don't envy your cable management but I love the floating effect of the screen.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds