BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

More
07 May 2020 15:39 #221992 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Here is the final instalment of my blackout blinds.

So for the front side blinds I couldn't use magnets, not enough bare metal and no overlap on the blinds themselves. So I stitched some black plastic packers I had on to the edges, they just push between the glass and seal nicely.

The rear blind I stitched some 2" webbing around and glued magnets to it. That one like the rear sides, lives rolled up in place ready for use, by the way of some straps wedged between the glass and frame.

The windscreen blind I bought some double sided suction cups, these work better than the ones supplied with the blinds.

All the blinds are reversible if you want to use them as sun shades or black side out for more stealth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2020 18:10 #223262 by Soeley
Last week I fitted the extended brake pipes front and rear. In hindsight I'm glad I did those first, as yesterday it made it easier and didn't even have to remove the front calipers to get enough axle droop to remove the springs.

Jimny up on axle stands and a scissor jack at each end of the axle made for controlled lowering.

Radius arm bolts were loosened before allowing axles to fully droop.

The rear bump stops were the worst part. If you have sausage fingers forget it

I haven't fitted the supplied castor correction bushes yet, going to get a feel for it first and see if fitting them does improve anything. Steering wheel is slightly off to the right though now due to the lift, I believe a little adjustment to the draglink is needed.

Been for a quick test drive and no strange noises or clunks which is good. It does feel a little firmer on the road but not jarring, will dry some speed humps later and see it it feels different over them.

I think that about covers it.

So all I have to do is park here and it happens by magic, right?

Old v New, shock removal was straight forward.

Front hub vacuum pipes pulled and capped off. Speed sensor wire bracket unbolted on the right.

And a plastic clip pulled out for the sensor wire. This gave plenty enough slack to fully lower the axle to get the springs out. I did also undo and lower one end of the cross brace to allow the prop shaft to come all the way down.
Spring compressors were used as well just to squeeze the springs a bit. Only used a ratchet spanner on them.

Old v New.

Both sides with new springs and shocks fitted and cross member bolted back in place.
I didn't like the look of the strain on the vacuum pipes, not even pushed all the way on.

Vacuum pipe bracket above the chassis rail. Leans backwards slightly.

A bit of a bend to make it lean forwards.

Pipes now pushed fully home and don't look as stressed.

Front finished.

For the LED headlight version a longer rear axle to level sensor is supplied.

Rear shock absorber lower bolts are straight forward to remove. Again Jimny on axle stands and scissor Jack's under each trailing arm to support the axle.
Top RH shock mount, the bolt is trapped by this cable.

Undo cable bracket to gain more clearance.

Rear speed sensor cable clip pulled free.

Sensor wire bracket unbolted.

And another one on top of the diff. Again these gave enough slack to fully lower the rear axle without straining the wires.

Old v New.

With the OME kit you get a Panhard lower relocation bracket. I was concerned with the gap, but the bracket closed up when the bolt was torqued up.

Thought I'd measured it correctly B)

Close though. Suspension may settle a bit though.

And by magic :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PabloAzH

More
05 Jun 2020 21:25 #223293 by Soeley
Just some post lift pictures.

More
07 Jun 2020 16:18 #223350 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Well done Soeley, Lovely job me old mate! I thought I saw in an early picture that the OME kit was supplied with the polyurethane spring seats/spacers.

The front set up looks almost identical in terms of shock length (Old vs New) but there's a clear difference in the rear. Maybe it was just the angle of the photo.

Keep us updated with a long term review going forwards :silly:

More
07 Jun 2020 17:26 #223355 by Soeley
Thanks DAGZOOK, Storm/Jeepy sell the kit with the 10mm spring spacers, it might be that one you have seen.

More
07 Jun 2020 18:21 #223361 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Looking good :)

Are tyres on your list next?

How do you find the ride/handling on road vs the standard shocks/springs?

More
07 Jun 2020 20:18 - 07 Jun 2020 20:25 #223363 by Soeley
I have some Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T tyres ready and waiting to go on when I have finished refurbishing some Jimny steel wheels I bought. Here's one for a sneak peek. I have gone for standard size as I has been unable to fault the H/T Duellers that are on as standard and just wanted to go A/T for better puncture prevention on the rocks.

Before and after

On road, it feels slightly firmer but not overly firm as I do quite like the soft comfy ride of the Gen4. I certainly doesn't spoil the on road comfort. Not been off road yet.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 20:25 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RumbleAndSway

More
09 Jun 2020 10:06 #223406 by lookonimages

Soeley wrote: I have some Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T tyres ready and waiting to go on when I have finished refurbishing some Jimny steel wheels I bought. Here's one for a sneak peek. I have gone for standard size as I has been unable to fault the H/T Duellers that are on as standard and just wanted to go A/T for better puncture prevention on the rocks.

Before and after

On road, it feels slightly firmer but not overly firm as I do quite like the soft comfy ride of the Gen4. I certainly doesn't spoil the on road comfort. Not been off road yet.

Somehow i cannot see your pics. Very interested to see what geolanders look like

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
09 Jun 2020 20:27 #223418 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Re:Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
The pictures are just of the bare wheel, one before refurb and one after. It might be a few weeks before i
I get the tyres on.

More
12 Jun 2020 20:39 #223537 by Soeley
I blame having too much time on my hands with not doing my 2.5 hour round trip commute. Just having a play really, not sure if it's a keeper at the moment. Temporarily wired in so I can see what it's like in the dark.

I will update when I've tried it in the dark.

Small reversing light 1000 lumens apparently.

Got two different mounts to try, this one with a tilt an swivel on it. Does stand off a fair bit though.

They just clamp over the edge, there is a little shim to stop the grub screws chewing your paint and metal. The door skin side is rubber coated.

The one without tilt and swivel keeps it much flushed to the door.

Flush Mount

Tilt & Swivel

More
25 Jun 2020 20:48 #223999 by Soeley
Never in my life did I ever think I would remove alloy wheels to fit steel wheels :blink: . Had a fair few knocks on the alloys already from rocks. So I bought some 2nd hand Jimny wheels to do up and spray, that way if these get any knocks it'll be easy and cheap to touch up.

Fitted with 195/80/15 Yokohama Geolanders. They don't feel to drive any differently on the dry roads. One slight negative is I have lost my slow speed carpark tyre squeal :laugh: :laugh:
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jun 2020 05:52 #224008 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
It looks well on those, they suit it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds