BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

More
20 Feb 2020 18:49 #218808 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Right here goes.

As per the instructions the centres between the recovery points is 640mm. I used a 1 meter aluminium ruler and equalised this distance from the edge of the number plate plinth (yellow markings). Now with this plinth only being screwed on, I did wonder weather it would be actually central itself?

I double checked the centres by making sure they were equalised to the raised moulding in the bumper (red markings)

Also using the 1m straight edge, I held that to the top of the plinth and used a square to drop the centre line markings down to make sure they were vertical.

Back to the instructions, the slots need to be 16mm x 50mm which I marked out, but I actually cut a smaller slot 10mm x 30mm. This allows you to see the centre of each recovery point and allows plenty of room for re-positioning the slots if need be. Obviously until you get the slots done the bumper will not even sit in place, whilst sighting up the centres through the slots, make sure the bumper ends are aligned to the wheel arches (weigh up the positioning before removing). I used the picture in the instructions as a guide as to where the top of the slot should sit.
  • Get the distance between centres right first
  • Get the slot width right
  • Then work on the slot top and bottm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2020 20:03 #218814 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
That makes sense to me. Thanks buddy, for everything!!

I'll letcha know how it goes.

More
07 Mar 2020 20:23 #219561 by Soeley
Fitted my radius arm guards today, managed to get a set from Jimnybits. A friend went down in person the other week to pick up a load of bits and kindly offered to pick some up for me while he was there. Just the fitting instruction were missing as they hadn't got them ready at the time.

First three fitted just fine. Axle stand under the chassis and the jack just taking the weight of the radius arm. Bolt out, fit guard with spacers, new nut & bolt in. I had just had my Dinatrol annual check up yesterday, so the brackets were freshly coated. This meant the spacers stuck in place while the guard was put in place :)

The last one (front right) put up a fight though, when the old bolt was removed the radius arm moved backwards about an inch, so a fair bit of pushing and levering the front wheel was needed to get the new bolt in.

Just hope I did get them the right way round :ohmy:

Rear

Front

More
01 Apr 2020 20:48 #220554 by Soeley
Rear Door Internal Release.

I have been wanting to do this mod almost since day 1, especially since seeing the release catch in the owners manual and the knock-out in the rear door trim panel.

So today I decided to get my thinking cap on, it is 90% finished as you will see:

Trim panel removed and through the membrane you can see the rear latch mechanism

File Attachment:

A simple bracket made from some ally L-section

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Membrane carefully peeled back and bracket attached, from the left a 6mm hole to take the mounting bolt, an 8mm clearance hole to clear the plastic dowel that just protrudes the assembly and a slot that fits over the tab on the assembly

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I had some ready made cables that are very high spec (aircraft quality) that I acquired years ago when my site was closing down (they were bound for the skip :ohmy: ) one end has a fork-end on the other a male thread.
I cut off one of the fork tangs and thinned it down from 2mm to 1mm thick and opened up the hole to 5.5mm.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

All assembled

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The cable was a bit too long for my needs, but I managed to loose some in a loop within the hinge side cavity of the door. Cable tied to the door structure (that slit in the membrane was already there)

File Attachment:

Cable tied to the wire loom clipping points

File Attachment:

Looped round and back out on the correct side of the membrane

File Attachment:

No extra cuts needed :)

File Attachment:

I drilled a hole in the panel behind my cargo nets and notched out the bottom corner of the net frame

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

It works! It is a little stiff, but it will only be used when I camp out and sleep in the car (or in emergency :woohoo: )
I will cover the exposed cable in black shrink sleeve and will come up with some sort of handle/lever to attach it to

The following user(s) said Thank You: crash486, PabloAzH

More
01 Apr 2020 21:03 #220555 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Neat modification, I like that. Are the parcel nets standard in the G4 or aftermarket extra? I could do with something similar in my G3.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Apr 2020 21:25 #220558 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Neatest door mod so far. Nice job.

More
01 Apr 2020 22:26 #220560 by Soeley

Scimike wrote: Neat modification, I like that. Are the parcel nets standard in the G4 or aftermarket extra? I could do with something similar in my G3.
Mike

Thanks.

Not standard bought them from Amazon

More
02 Apr 2020 09:45 #220576 by Soeley
So having already made some in the past Rear Mudflaps MK1

I managed to get hold off a more suitable material and slightly bigger in size. This is proper rubber sheet.

It was a quick job, using the originals as templates, these new ones hang about an inch longer in length.

The original on the left, new rubber on the right. I decided to cut more out to match the bumper profile to make it easier to wash mud out.

The white plastic L-section is now replaced with aluminium. And you can see, less of a mud trap.

I decided to try them with 10mm stuck out from the bumper. It will be a quick and easy job to trim them flush if I prefer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jago

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Apr 2020 17:46 #220594 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Like those. Prefer that to the factory ones.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2020 18:15 #220599 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
I like them great mod, but I would just take a bit of the corner off to match the rear bumper :) :) :)

More
02 Apr 2020 18:40 #220603 by Soeley

Daniel30 wrote: I like them great mod, but I would just take a bit of the corner off to match the rear bumper :) :) :)

Cheers Daniel, I left them square as I am undecided as to just cut a radius on the bottom corners or cut ant angle across them. I also want to live with them a bit to decide if I want to trim the outside edge flush to the top of the bumper.

Decisions, decisions lol

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2020 22:46 #220612 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Ah good call, looking good though mate ;)

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds