BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just purchased my first Jimny

More
21 Jan 2019 19:18 - 21 Jan 2019 19:37 #201366 by adrianr
Unexpected trouble tonight!

Went out to the shops.

Started up in the shop car park and the engine was running rough, and nearly stalled twice.

Part way through the first roundabout some clicking from the engine then down on power, running on three.

Nursed it along towards my pal's garage. More noise, engine check light on and off. Louder clicking like something was really amiss. Decided to keep it going on three and low revs and low load to get it to his place where I could have a look.

Found this on number 2 coil pack. Interesting how the end was all broken.....

ent]

When we checked we found the spark plug is was loose in the hole.

Removed the broken plug and debris and realised that there were pretty much no threads in the head for the plug to hold which is why it had worked loose and had done the damage to the coil pack. I presume someone has overtightened or cross threaded the plug in the hole previously.

Will check the other plugs tomorrow.

We have an engine guy who does some excellent work - will speak to him tomorrow and see if he can repair in situ or if we need to remove the head to get it repaired.

Also found some of the packing from the rear silencer hanging of the end of the exhaust like hair.

Walked home.

Motoring joys.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 19:37 by adrianr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jan 2019 20:03 #201379 by Lambert
A friend of mine has just gone through this with a Hyundai, he was lucky enough to be able to helicoil it. Hopefully you'll have a similar easy fix!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jan 2019 21:18 - 22 Jan 2019 07:46 #201388 by adrianr
Cheers Lambert.

I'm sure it will be easy enough to put right. I am always lucky and in the right place at the right time.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 07:46 by adrianr.

More
22 Jan 2019 17:07 #201423 by jackonlyjack
The rear silencer if it's in good condition on outside
use a wire coat hanger make a hook push it in twist pull out repeat
or cut a flap in the top clear out weld back up makes no difference to sound level :)
Just don't leave it because your engine can't breath and may over heat :(

More
22 Jan 2019 18:18 #201429 by adrianr
Cheers jackonlyjack. Cut, empty and weld sounds like the plan.

Engine guy is looking tomorrow afternoon to hopefully rethread the spark plug hole in situ. Pulled off the rocker cover to get him closer to the hole.

More
22 Jan 2019 18:33 #201430 by jackonlyjack
Hope the thread situation goes well for you ;)
I need to check my plugs but yours is one of many horror stories regarding plugs
Make me a little apprehensive on doing the job :pinch:
I think it maybe down to the plugs sitting in there for so long being iridium's :unsure:

More
22 Jan 2019 18:35 #201431 by adrianr
Thank you.

Good luck with yours!

More
22 Jan 2019 20:15 #201437 by adrianr
Based on your comments about plugs I'm going to pull the rest out to make sure all is well - the ideal time before the engineman turns up in case they are more problems to hand to him.

More
23 Jan 2019 12:56 #201510 by adrianr
Got some new Iridium plugs to install. Plus a coil pack and some leads. Plug 1 was a bit suspect but torqued up OK, 3 and 4 were fine.

Now waiting on the engine guy to come and work his magic later today.

More
24 Jan 2019 17:43 #201633 by adrianr
All sorted now. Ended up costing a wee bit with new coil pack, gaskets, iridium plugs, leads and Ed the engine guy - who has been working on engines 45 years now. He did a very thorough job in about an hour. Very complimentary about Suzuki engines - was recently working on a Swift Rally car.

Was running a touch rough to start - an Italian tune up soon sorted that. Love the induction sound at higher revs hard on the loud pedal with the snorkel facing backwards.

Removed the front anti-roll bar.

I'll look at the exhaust next.

More
24 Jan 2019 19:40 #201643 by adrianr
The idle is a bit lumpy and it feels like it is missing occasionally. I've had a closer look at the coil pack CES sent out and it looks pretty poor quality to me, and it certainly not a snug fit compared to the original one at the back of the engine. So I will be getting another tomorrow and fitting that.

More
25 Jan 2019 12:38 #201667 by adrianr

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds