BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just purchased my first Jimny

More
16 Jan 2019 18:30 - 16 Jan 2019 18:32 #200901 by adrianr
Well, that was a very long day.

Some new tasks for me in there - had to make a new brake line after some shenanigans trying to undo it from the ferrule to fit the extended line for the back axle. The brake line turned with the nut and wound itself into a lovely spiral. Looked nice but no good as a brake line anymore.

Have never used a press for bushes on radius arms either so after I watched one being pressed in and out I spent a fair bit of time on my own getting things sorted. Including sending some metal parts flying about since I had not quite got things squared away when I gingerly started pressing the bushes in.

Anyway, the suspension is all fitted now, including caster correction bushes in the front radius arms. I spent a while measuring and marking to make sure the holes lined up properly in the caster correction bushes.

I have only driven it a mile from my pals garage - suspension seems so much smoother and softer and more supple on the road, not more crashing and banging. Lambert was right again. Finally, the steering is once again self-centring.

I want to do some checking on the front end to see if it is worth either putting some box section under the bushes on the front anti-roll bar or make some flat bar extensions for the mounts for the drop links.

For now, well pleased. Oh and I forgot to take photos!
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 18:32 by adrianr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2019 19:41 #200903 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Just purchased my first Jimny
2nd that ;)

More
16 Jan 2019 19:47 - 16 Jan 2019 19:49 #200904 by adrianr
Quick update - just been out around the country roads where I live - Wee Jimmy is good fun now on the road now and handles well for what it is. A million miles from my VRS Tdi PD estate, which is a weapon, but still I came home with a smile on my face.

I think we shall have to visit some nice lanes near Betws this weekend and see how the new setup performs.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 19:49 by adrianr.

More
17 Jan 2019 22:21 #201025 by adrianr
Adjusted the headlight beams - been meaning to do it for a while - they were sat a bit low, a touch more noticeable with the new suspension.

More
18 Jan 2019 11:28 #201057 by adrianr
Yay, it's started snowing :-)

So, being a bit odd decided now was as good a time as any to do a coolant flush and put the proper pink G12 coolant and water in.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2019 11:58 #201061 by Lambert
Where are you for snow, it's a bit cold but a lovely sunny day here?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jan 2019 13:29 #201065 by adrianr
It's stopped now.

Am in North Wales

More
18 Jan 2019 18:34 - 18 Jan 2019 18:39 #201083 by adrianr
A couple of pics - wheel, new tyre and bolt through the hub to fix the hub. New shock and spring in the background.

Outside my pal's garage after doing the suspension.

Still got the clunk on the back left. Radius arm bushes need doing and I wonder if the axle mount holes are a little oval.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 18:39 by adrianr.

More
18 Jan 2019 19:23 #201085 by adrianr
Have found the clunk - there is a little movement in the n/s/r rearmost bolt through the axle mount from the radius arm - spotted a bit of lighter coloured rust next to the head of the bolt.

Have nipped up the bolt a touch more for now which has helped a lot - I'll check the torque on it tomorrow. I'll likely weld a penny washer on there next week.

More
19 Jan 2019 15:00 #201147 by adrianr
Since I now have fixed hubs I just did this mod to take the controller out of the loop.

Attachments:

More
20 Jan 2019 18:03 - 20 Jan 2019 18:48 #201235 by adrianr
Had a nice run out today. The new suspension was so much better. New tyres performed well even with 14 psi in them. Was going to go lower but thought I would try with that to start.

I am now certain the clicking at the front end when I am on bumpy and twisty stuff is the anti-roll bar / drop links or bushes. Rather than fix them up I was pondering it on the run home and decided to just remove them and fit some extended braided steel brake hoses on the front from llama.co.uk. That way Wee Jimmy will have better flex at the front.

www.llama4x4.com/page10.htm

I had a random engine check light on the dual carriageway no change in performance. I reset it by disconnecting the battery. it has not come back after 5 hours more driving. I'll see if anything was stored with a code reader tomorrow.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 18:48 by adrianr.

More
21 Jan 2019 13:00 #201332 by adrianr
Extended stainless steel braided lines order from llama4x4 ordered.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds