BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just purchased my first Jimny

More
21 Dec 2018 10:22 - 21 Dec 2018 17:37 #199262 by adrianr
Resonance on accelerating

Pulled the driver's side headlight to see what the noise could be - turns out that 2 of the plastic clips holding the plastic wheel arch extenders on are loose. I'll get a dab of silicone on them in the New Year to quieten them down, meantime a touch of grease has made it better.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 17:37 by adrianr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 14:57 #199266 by Max Headroom

adrianr wrote: they change the pressure sufficiently so you can sit on the motorway with the windows down a bit and not get that awful drumming.

Yes - 'drumming' - another way to describe what I termed as 'panting'.
I've got the convertible Jimny and that black roof means the car gets unfeasibly hot inside when left parked with the windows fully up, so another little bonus particularly when there is a threat of rain and Im away from the car. :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
21 Dec 2018 17:40 #199270 by adrianr
I leave the windows cracked down a touch when it is hot. The alarm doesn’t go off, people don't notice unless they look carefully and the car is not an oven when I get back in. My daily drive is a black Skoda estate with black interior so it gets toasty too.

More
22 Dec 2018 20:52 #199329 by adrianr
A little more work on some surface rust on the driver's side inner sill - removed loose surface stuff then treated with Hydrate 80. I will finish it off with some Bilt and Hamber seam sealer tomorrow.

Spent some time familiarising myself with the engine bay - been a while since I had a petrol engine to work with having run diesel since 2002. It is a nicely laid out engine and engine bay - great to have so much room to work around the engine bay. It's like a miniaturized version of my Landcruiser in there and underneath.

More
22 Dec 2018 21:39 #199332 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Just purchased my first Jimny
hi, the hydrate 80 is very good,

More
23 Dec 2018 10:21 - 23 Dec 2018 10:24 #199341 by adrianr
Completed the dynax seam sealer application to drivers inner wing.

Tickover was occasionally lumpy. I suspected the EGR. Sorted that, so we shall see. Initial impressions are better.

Steam cleaned the combustion chambers. Warmed up the engine. Disconnected intake, set idle at 2000 rpm. Spray bottle initially with water and a touch of liquid soap, bicarbonate of soda and borax. Spray once every 4 seconds into the intake so engine note only drops slightly. Lots of steam from the exhaust. After 1/2 a litre which takes about 20 minutes, switched to clean water and did another 1/4 litre. Then take it for a nice hard run with lots of revs. I have wondered if the steam would help clean the cat as well, though I have never pulled one out for a look after doing this.

Ordered spare aux belts to carry in the car.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 10:24 by adrianr.

More
23 Dec 2018 17:38 #199352 by adrianr
Ordered some rubber floor mats.

More
24 Dec 2018 08:08 #199381 by adrianr
Aiming to change oils in the gearbox, transfer case and axles hopefully Friday. Might flush the coolant and replace that as well.

More
29 Dec 2018 14:14 #199632 by adrianr
Made up a hand throttle and fitted it. I need 1 more component and some black cable ties (ran out of black and had to use white in the cabin)

Attachments:

• Daz3031
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2018 14:25 #199633 by Daz3031
Replied by Daz3031 on topic Just purchased my first Jimny

Max Headroom wrote:

adrianr wrote: they change the pressure sufficiently so you can sit on the motorway with the windows down a bit and not get that awful drumming.

Yes - 'drumming' - another way to describe what I termed as 'panting'.
I've got the convertible Jimny and that black roof means the car gets unfeasibly hot inside when left parked with the windows fully up, so another little bonus particularly when there is a threat of rain and Im away from the car. :)

The technical term for the noise is Helmholtz resonance - I wrote my masters thesis on that very subject!

More
29 Dec 2018 14:38 #199634 by jackonlyjack

adrianr wrote: Made up a hand throttle and fitted it. I need 1 more component and some black cable ties (ran out of black and had to use white in the cabin)

B) I like that how have you attached the throttle side ;)

More
29 Dec 2018 16:05 #199645 by adrianr
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds