BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ola`s jimny project

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2018 13:43 #194573 by OlaGB

yakuza wrote: Hi!
Still on 98 octane?
Mine is good now on 98. Had a 8 hour drive south to Stord on 98 and the car performed quite good. Worst was going home up Modalen area. too long uphill with 600kg trailer.
My Swift (m13 no VVT 90hp) has this punch on high revs that my Jimny has none of with its m16. the intake manifold and TB must be it it seems.
Have you checked if your exhaust manifold cat is OK?
Sounds like i have too start collecting parts but now my budget still suffers from holiday and low gears for my transfer.
Has your transfer gotten more silent? Still gear noise from mine, but much less. Will change the gear oil now that i soon have reached 1000km of use after installing.

Tested both 95 and 98 oct now, and no ign knock on either as far as i know..
Compared live reading of ignition also, and can not see any retardation of ignition on 95 vs 98oct. But for some reason, i have more torque on 98. I loose 3-4km/h up a local hill in 5th on 95, while i gain 5-8km/h on 98oct. Several attempts, same story.. Got to test 95 again later on.

I did have some knock on 98oct on stock intake actually, but only afer heating up the motor real good.

Cat looked OK when manifold was off, but i did not remove it. Regret that alittle now, maybe i will later on.

Transfer is alot quieter now! Oil change is on the todo list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2018 15:01 #194582 by yakuza
sounds like the same "before" as mine is now then. only slight knock on 98 when abused. but I do have to run it almost empty on 95 and will only get full effect of the 98 on the second filling.
Wish I could measure the 2006+ m16a GV intake as they can be found in Norway.

removing the cat did not give much noticeable difference on mine even though it was 50% defect.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2018 08:18 #198090 by OlaGB
Not much been happening lately, mostly been driving.. :) 8000km now since i bought it, 6000 with the SSS motor, and all is working flawless.
SSS motor is running strong, especially after getting the M18 intake/TB on it. It`s also running alot better in the cold weather now, which tells me the ECU is a bit off on fuel/ignition.

Trailgear transfer gears also running fine, just a little more gear noise than stock. Low range sure is fun!

15mm lift spacers installed up front, to get back the height i lost on winch install.

Just about to install the last bits before winter kicks in , the lockers and HD shafts/knuckles. Been pushing this forward as its alot of work, but have to get it done now.. Hopefully in by this week.

Upgraded alternator is installed (measured to 85-90A while winching), and a new Exide EP450 50Ah 750CCA battery is going in over the weekend.

Bought a new set of winter stud tires for it, Hankook I-pike 235/75-15. Supposedly very good winter tires, havent tested them in snow yet but they are suprisingly quiet and nice to drive onroad with..

Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2018 13:45 #198176 by OlaGB
Ongoing, 2x air lockers, 4x HD shafts and wheel bearings. Everything at once..
Alot of work, but fun since ive never done differensial work before!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Nov 2018 17:56 #198186 by Riccy
Air lockers are fun! watch as you get anywhere at the flick of a switch :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 13:15 #198228 by OlaGB

Riccy wrote: Air lockers are fun! watch as you get anywhere at the flick of a switch :laugh:

Yup, had it in a 37" Land cruiser 120 arctic truck before, but the car was way to expensive to do real offroading in.. I think this will be alot more fun to play with!

Gonna get help from a buddy tonight, installing bearings all over, so no diff install before tomorrow..
Got in the compressor today, and all wiring/switches.. Only left to do tubing to diffs..

Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2018 16:28 #198234 by Dirtbird
Hey OlaGB what does the bolt in the hub do?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 17:27 #198236 by OlaGB

Dirtbird wrote: Hey OlaGB what does the bolt in the hub do?

The hub was not working when i bought the car, so i used a bolt in the hub to engange the hub permanently until i got my manual locking hubs!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Nov 2018 18:01 #198241 by Riccy
Are these ARB air lockers or the Chinese equivalent? look a bit different to my ARBs...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 22:50 #198256 by OlaGB

Riccy wrote: Are these ARB air lockers or the Chinese equivalent? look a bit different to my ARBs...

Chinese. But named RD208 and RD206 (with 26 splines).
By pictures ive seen, i cant tell the difference from ARB. Also uses same instructions, wiring scheme, and even the box looks the same.
Maybe ive seen the wrong ARB diffs in pics?

Approx 50% price, and alot of happy people running them even on big wheel patrols and jeeps (not rd208, but this brand).
Hoping for sucsess ;)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 08:25 #198267 by TomDK
Just remember to change the oil seals on the China lockers to genuine ARB seals. The Chinese seals dissolve over time.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 11:13 #198271 by OlaGB

TomDK wrote: Just remember to change the oil seals on the China lockers to genuine ARB seals. The Chinese seals dissolve over time.

Might be famous last words, but i am told by several people that this changed a few years ago, where they swapped to good quality seals..

Might have jinxed it all now LOL. But since i dont have ARB seals here, i think ill just carry on...

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds