BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Newbie post. Just aquired my first Jimny

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2017 02:04 #177283 by DINGLE287
Newbie post. Just aquired my first Jimny was created by DINGLE287
Hi all. I managed to get my grubby mitts an old Jimny recently. After considering getting a toy for green laning for a while now to go play at the weekends with some mate's and their toys (mainly disco's). I obviously couldn't pass up the opportunity of this old girl when it was offered to me. Despite being used on a farm for 7 year's and stood for the last 18 months it's in reasonable Condition. And just scraped through an MOT.
After a bit of research on here I'm now trying to plan how to go about making her more usable (on and off road use). After a good clean and fixing a few a few issues I'll be looking for the best options to get some lift to get some capable tyre's on.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2017 02:06 #177284 by DINGLE287
Replied by DINGLE287 on topic Re:Newbie post. Just aquired my first Jimny

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2017 02:08 #177285 by DINGLE287

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2017 07:02 #177287 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Re:Newbie post. Just aquired my first Jimny
That looks quite tidy mate. :)

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2017 11:39 #177344 by DINGLE287
Thanks. It's ideal for a bit of a project tbh. Not too clean as I'm scared to ruin it, but not a complete already abused turd either. It's spent the last 8 years ish plodding about at snail speed with an elderly farmer owner. It will need a bit of mig welder attention. But hopefully not too much.
As soon as I get time it's gonna be dangled off the forklift and thoroughly steam cleaned underneath. Then attack every nut and bolt in sight with wd4O. Still not sure which way to jump for lifting and what tyre size though. I was thinking of a 2" spacer kit. But might stretch to 2" spring kit and make my own shock extenders, I can easily upgrade shocks at later date if needed then. I'm getting loads of idea's and inspiration off here tho. But my wallets already getting scared the more I see. Lol

• wilku
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2017 15:27 #177360 by wilku
Don't use WD-40 - it will clean and penetrate the joints, but it sucks as a grease and lets new dirt and rust in.
Get a decent de-ruster followed by a decent grease and/or thread securing stuff (Loctite or similar).

I personally had a very good experience with motip penetrating oil and it's "shock" counterpart (the one that freezes the joint rapidly to create microcracks in the rust) for loosening old tight bolts.

If you don't go for longer shocks don't use longer springs as their travel distance will differ (so in the extreme position the shock will take more load, as the spring will still be flexible). It's either extenders or replacement for both.

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2017 23:04 #177396 by DINGLE287
Thanks wilku. Tbh tho I will probably use mech oil, duck oil or whatever spray I have at the yard handy, and will most likely copper grease most threads that are disturbed during work.
Thanks for the tip on the shocks. Looks like a cheapy spacer kit for now then. £300+ for springs is a bit out my budget at moment combined with buying tyre's and other nik naks needed. I might consider a body lift as well to help with tyre size, but need to do more research to see what complications are involved

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 09:17 #177402 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Re:Newbie post. Just aquired my first Jimny
No point in going above 2" spring lift unless you are fitting large tyres. 3"+ you will need lots of extra bits to do it
properly and then with larger tyres, a change of the transfer box to correct the gearing. :)
All depends how much you want to spend. :woohoo:

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 12:26 #177409 by DINGLE287
Sorry should of mentioned I only want 2" suspension lift. The extra work involved to go more is way beyond my budget and time available to work on it. Plus I need to keep decent road manners as well. I was hoping for 235.75.15's but it's looking like they will be a bit much. So now I'm aiming for 215's with a 2" spring spacer kit (hopefully will be enough) with castor correction to keep road manners. And possibly a 2" body lift shortly after, but I need to sit down and work out exactly what it entails before opening a can of worms. The bush kit is easy enough, and I can handle lengthening gear sticks etc. Just worried about pipes and cables and any other obstacles

More
28 Jan 2017 14:01 #177413 by jackonlyjack
body lift will only require steering spacer from bits4vits/jimnybits
also extended brake lines from llama4x4/jimnybits
and bits4vits sell nice poly body lifts ;)

Jack

• DINGLE287
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 16:13 #177418 by DINGLE287
Ahh right thanks Jack. That's conflicting then. As I thought no steering extension was needed for 2"

• wilku
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 18:53 #177439 by wilku
Because it isn't for the suspension lift. It is necessary (although not in all cases I believe) for a body lift. And definitely it will be needed for a suspension & body lift combined.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds