× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..

• Beano
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2013 17:48 #64205 by Beano
Replied by Beano on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Looking really good mate! Hats off to you :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2013 09:45 #65258 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Little update,2 sundays ago i had a great outing with a few fellow members was a cracking day and really enjoyed it

This was my first real off road experience in the jim since doing all the work to it etc so was a bit of a test,no real problems apart from a couple of times while out the 4wd keep flashing intermitantly,sourced to a loose vac pipe managed to fix it temp while out but i have ordered a length of pipe to replace alot of the old hose,this is on my to do this week.when i got the car i was having issues with a fault code and mpg problems,after my outing my p0420 fault code came back and the jimny did about 170 miles off a tank of fuel,this was combined with steady 55mph driving on motorway,round the door driving,alot of hills some had to be done in 1st and also about 40ish miles in low/4wd driving,i wasnt too fussed as im running the 195 80 mud saharas but after working it out its still around the 20mpg mark,i was hoping for a bit more than this anyway the faultcode relates to cat efficiency,id previously tested the 02 sensors and there fine ive got no air leaks or fuel leaks or anything like that so after a bit of digging im putting it down to the cat itself beign un-efficient so last week rather than just replace it thought id try removing it first so

opened up the cat and removed the element itself,welded it back up and refitted so far so good seems better on fuel and no fault code as yet fingers crossed lol.

Another job i had to sort after my outing was id used hose pipe for my diff breathers this hose pipe was old and thus the front one has split while out,anyway after checking the diff oils the front was full of water so i changed the diff oil and replaced the hose pipe with fuel line much more flexable fingers crossed thats ok.

With my off road mods ive done the jim managed fine on the lanes with a couple of severe ones,in the future im going to fit a proper 2" lift kit but for the time been my spacers will do,only thing that bothered me was no underneath protection so lad i work with him and his cousin are good at fabricating things up so we mocked up a front diff guard a transfere box guard and the trailing arm point protectors all done in cardboard just need to get a sheet of steel then they are going to have a go at making them i will get some pics of this this week,thats it for now cheers.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2013 19:29 #65308 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Thanks for the up-date Gaz, little Jimny did well ..................... ;)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2013 20:12 #65325 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Nice work :)

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2013 18:49 - 12 Mar 2013 19:09 #65469 by gaz3359
Thanks guys,got a few pipes changed on the 4x4 system and took the hubs off cleaned them and refitted 4x4 working as it should again,also just had a pic sent off me mate first trailing arm mounting point protector assembled need more metal now for the rest :-)

Last edit: 12 Mar 2013 19:09 by gaz3359.

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 01:07 #65520 by Dan_w
Replied by Dan_w on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
They look good mate, is the steel not a little thin however? It could just be the picture but it looks pretty thin. I am making mine out of 5mm steel just to be on the safe side.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 10:52 #65532 by gaz3359
Cheers,im picking up a sheet of 3mm steel,basically just to keep the cost down and also the weight,im not sure what mm that is in the pic tho it could be thinner,way i see it is its better having something on than nothing and if i damage one its easy replaced,im only ever going to be doing the odd p+p day and mostly laning,my last outing there was a few lanes with big rocks and boulders and i managed to avoid them but having the guards will be piece of mind.sure if they were made out of 5mm they would be indistructable :-)

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2013 23:11 #65603 by Dan_w
:) I am sure 3mm with be perfect, and offer some good protection. I need to get my finger out and do mine now.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2013 11:35 #65630 by gaz3359
Yea dan i think its a happy medium,i popped round yesterday to drop the metal in that he needs and that one is done in 3mm,its very sturdy and well assembled id say it will easily take a hefty impact,he is cracking on over the weekend looking forward to getting them and test fitting see if theres any tweaks needed then just need to decide what colour to paint them think black hammerite will do the job.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2013 10:16 #65730 by gaz3359
couple more pics of the moc'd up arm guard still needs drilling fitting up and paint.

Couple of other cardboard templates laid out on the sheet metal

Since i got the jimny i wanted to fit my own head unit with an aux port when i first got it i pulled the head unit out that was in saw the wiring and shoved it back in,yesterday had a couple of hrs in the garage so gave it a go.this is what i was greeted with after some soildering and tidying up i got it sorted.

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2013 23:43 #65847 by Dan_w
Those guards are looking very nice, B) you inspired me to start in mine today, i got them all tacked up, my welding is no where need as good as that however :P

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2013 07:30 #65852 by gaz3359
Nice one mate be good to see the finished products,im.hoping i get a call to pick it all up after the weekend,yea the lad who is doing it is handy with the welder think he is using tig on them.he does this sort of thing as a hobby has a class little workshop in his garage.i really need to learn to weld ive never really had a go at it.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds