× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 19:57 #76902 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
On a serious note I think I need an even bigger engine now to keep up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 20:57 #76929 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string

Smoggy wrote: I'm surprised. Little skinny thing like you, sweating, no :laugh:

Im " big boned " :)

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 20:58 #76930 by Smoggy
Me too :)

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 20:59 #76934 by gaz3359

Smoggy wrote: On a serious note I think I need an even bigger engine now to keep up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You need a v8 in your monster !

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 21:01 - 25 Jul 2013 14:51 #76936 by Smoggy
I'l get a local supplier to do me one then. They already have a 3.9l V8 in their unit :woohoo:

They said it's as fast as an Impreza to 60 :laugh:

But not round corners :laugh:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 14:51 by mlines.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 22:16 #76945 by gaz3359
Think you should mike ! Ive seen vids of the 3.9 it sounds mean :angry:

On another note i blaanked off the egr on my conversion see if it helps :unsure:

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2013 15:50 #76981 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..
Bit twist in the yard at work

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2013 15:09 #82510 by gaz3359
Havnt updated the thread for a while so thought id add a few small things that ive done in the past month or so although not loads.

As i put in another thread i got my winch all done and dusted really happy with how its fitted and looks subtle.couple of pics didnt get loads when doing it as i just cracked on

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

ive got a wireless remote fitted rather than a wired one and i also have fitted a simple switch in the car aswell

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

not long after my 1.6 conversion i fitted manual hubs as one of my auto ones had completely give up and i was sick of not always getting 4wd when needed so i got the adaptor plates and a pair of sj aisin manual hubs although 1 of them was duff so after a bit of looking it seemed impossible to get spares for them as all i needed was a locking collar anyway just as i was about to buy another pair my dad had told my uncle about my issue with the hub when out for a pint with him,anyway my uncle runs a garage and lives on a small farm,round the side of his house he had a chassis off an old diahatsu sport trak and he said it had manual hubs on it and i was welcome to take them off.heres a picture

File Attachment:

went upto my uncles and found the bolt pattern to be a 5 stub but the jimnys are 6 six but not to worry as the internals were all the same so after a rebuild i had a working hub and i was really pleased.

Theres a small story to the sport trak.After talking to my uncle and dad about the chassis i got the hubs off it turned out that the sport trak belonged to my mam in 1984 and i used to get really excited as a four year old when getting in the jeep and going out in it.it was sold onto my uncle who used it for years and years for his garage but when the body was rottern rather than scrap it he removed the body scrapped that then took the chassis upto his farm where his 2 sons made a wood base and used it to drive around the fields on i think from memory i even had a drive when i was 12 or something.then when they passed there driving tests its sat in that position ever since 1999 roughly.so all these years on the sport trak i loved as a child has helped me out lol.

My exhaust snapped in 2 places so got a mate to help me weld it back up rather than just replace it as alot of it was still ok and to save me a couple of quid for the time been.had a 206 gti 180 tail pipe lying about in the garage so decided to weld that on for a bit of a laugh bit better look.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

even sounds a little bit raspy :P

Had a free day the other week so thought id service the king pin bearings as id fitted them back when i got it in jan and ive done a fair bit off roading so thought a strip down and clean would do no harm.were in supprisingly good order as there was a bit of dirty grease in them,no play with minimul wear all cleaned out and re-greased with water resistant grease back together great.i found when doing it tho i have a very very small bit of play in the osf wheel bearing this was also fitted back in jan when i got the truck so its still got warrenty on it so that will be getting changed in the week coming.

File Attachment:

Thats about it really apart from sealing up the bulkhead gromits as there is a few wires into the car rather prevent the water getting in.im ofter tinkering but nothing major eles to report,the jimny is id say where i want it now with my limited buget,apart from genral maintinence and wanting some rear shock guards which i will probs knock some up myself,some hid's and a bit more recovery gear for the winter (snatch block,more straps,waffel boards,possibly a land anchor) thats it really,i would love bigger tyres and a lobster box but ive got some saving to do for that.for the minute id say its at a good spec especially for laning which is all im interested in really and not running monster tyres makes it more of a challenge. :) so id say its just about ready for the bad weather and plenty winter laning.

Small report on the m16a,personally the jimny should have had this option as standard,it drives so much better,im getting better mpg and you dont have to work the box as hard,ive had a small run out with a couple of mates but nothing major and the engine made the small outing much better when coming to steep hills etc etc.a worth while swap.im out on the 22nd of this month down the yorkshire dales for a good run so that will be a good test will report back with pics etc.

1 pic of my small trip out

File Attachment:

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2013 15:19 #82513 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..
Nice one Gaz, looks like you have been quite busy 'tinkering' ........... ;)

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2013 18:01 #82533 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..
Looking really smart, great update. :)

I need to pull my finger out and get some stuff done before the cold hits. :(

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2013 18:56 #82899 by gaz3359
Wheel bearing done today much quieter

More
14 Sep 2013 11:54 #83124 by kirkynut
I'm liking this Jimjam - It's subtly modified yet purposeful looking.

Part of me wants to build a second Jimny like this - a daily that talks the talk, looks pretty but can walk the walk when needed. The only thing is I have no need for it as I have my heavily modified one in the garage, so it would be done for the fun of it and for being cool! I have a need for speed too so have recently bought an Ignis Sport!

Keep it up, looking forward to more piccies.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds