BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
19 Feb 2018 16:10 - 19 Feb 2018 16:17 #189464 by kirkynut
I got the old power steering pump off ze BMW today but the recondtioned one from the motor factors was the wrong one, it was the one BMW used when they realised that the one that's failed on mine fails!

So I've taken it back and they will have the right one in tomorrow hopefully.

I've stripped my old one and luckily it seems I stopped the engine soon enough to not allow it to eat it's self and there are no filings or witness marks from wear. Two of the blades of the impeller have snapped but only in two and all parts were inside the pump. It's on an exchange basis, so I've had to re-build the broken old pump. If I could get just the shaft I'd be able to rebuild the pump myself!

What this means though is that I'll be driving the Jimny for another week or so until my rest days come round again.

I definitely think the Beemer will be going now in favour of something smaller and easier to park at work and that doesn't need the attention I'm learning old BMW's need. Or I'll pop some less aggressive tyres on the Jimny and use that as my daily.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 19 Feb 2018 16:17 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2018 16:52 #189467 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: I definitely think the Beemer will be going now in favour of something smaller and easier to park at work
Kirkynut

That has been my philosophy lately - in fact for years TBH. Another Suzuki perhaps??
That's a nuisance over the pump. Maybe a car which is easier and cheaper to service or put the Jimny on as the daily beater and get a nice small car for other uses.
My old Pajero has too much heavy metal to be lugging around for me these days. I am going to risk putting the Junior on the road as the daily transport.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2018 17:01 #189468 by MadsV
Hey, how about a second jimny? :D

More
19 Feb 2018 18:05 #189472 by helijohn

MadsV wrote: Hey, how about a second jimny? :D

Yeah the 2018 one.

More
19 Feb 2018 22:43 #189492 by kirkynut
If I get another car it will be a small 5 door hatch. A 2006 ish vintage Toyota Yaris is the current favourite!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Feb 2018 23:13 - 19 Feb 2018 23:13 #189495 by kirkynut
Right then! Photobucket have messed up this thread and I have tried to repair it seamlessly but it is proving too difficult.

As such I shall retrospectively post my old posts again over a period of time starting now with a Greenlaning day in Essex on 25/01/2012:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Kirkynut

Last edit: 19 Feb 2018 23:13 by kirkynut.

More
19 Feb 2018 23:19 #189496 by kirkynut
Greenlaning day in Essex 26/03/12:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Kirkynut

More
19 Feb 2018 23:32 #189497 by kirkynut
On it's side on 08/05/2011 at Essex and Rochford District Off Road Club where we used to go:

File Attachment:

Guess who did it!

File Attachment:

Checking her work!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Is it a smile or a grimace?

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The damage - it remains to this day!

File Attachment:

Kirkynut

More
19 Feb 2018 23:57 #189498 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Right then! Photobucket have messed up this thread and I have tried to repair it seamlessly Kirkynut

I gave up trying to do that but fortunately most of my pics were taken direct from PC and not on 'bucket. However I still lost loads.

More
20 Feb 2018 13:00 #189521 by kirkynut
I took these on 06/09/14 to show where the Jimny was at that time in terms of modifications. It remains largely the same now but with some stickers gone and some new ones added.

File Attachment:

Rocklobster transfer knob on custom bent rod.

File Attachment:

The interior. It has half leather and the back seats are still in.

File Attachment:

The crap I carry in the boot!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

My front diff guard made and welded on by my mate Grant, who did the front bumper and cage too.

File Attachment:

The winch is an old Superwinch 9500 with a Bowmotor 1.

File Attachment:

Woffle boards and the shaft of my ground anchor mounted on the roof. The ground anchor was also made by Grant and is a smaller version of Devon 4x4's one. The blade for it is in the boot.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The vacuum hubs are long gone, so this pipe on each side keeps water out.

File Attachment:

Blocking the vacuum pipe with a bolt stops the 4wd light flashing on the dash and debris being sucked in.

File Attachment:

Fixed hubs mean nothing to fail. I have some SH Freewheeling hubs I will fit one day with a spacer ring but I have no real need.

Kirkynut

More
20 Feb 2018 21:06 - 20 Feb 2018 21:08 #189546 by kirkynut
I've managed to get some thread repairs done up to page 8 tonight!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 20 Feb 2018 21:08 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Feb 2018 05:26 #189555 by Lambert
Thanks for taking the time, I have always liked your build.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds