BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny refusing to keep running!

More
21 Jun 2009 21:13 #854 by SFMANGAL
Hi ANY help appreciated.

My parents have a Jimny and currently the car will start, but after a few seconds shuts down. Several 'mechanics :unsure: ' have looked at the problem and just scratch their heads. They have done some standard checks, fuel, etc. but no clues apart from the plugs being black instead of grey/brown.

Is this a common problem?

By the way, my parents and the car are in St Lucia, where Suzuki engineers are apparently non-existent.

Any ideas? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2009 17:05 #855 by bobcat
sounds to me like they are missing the chip for the key are they usuing the proper key or is it a spare? .
or if the engine management light is on it could be the mass airflow sensor is knackered.

More
22 Jun 2009 20:47 #856 by SFMANGAL
Many Thanks!

They have tried both the original and spare keys with no joy. However, your tip re. the MAF Sensor looks promising as the EM light does stay on. I'll let you know how they get on.

More
23 Jun 2009 17:27 #863 by bobcat
yeah let me know how they get on, i personally think its one of 2 things, either the maf sensor or the 02(lamda)sensor obviously i think this because i had both problems on my frontera and both can cause that problem

More
08 Jul 2009 12:44 #968 by ooky_123
check also the crank sensor (underneath the Alternator) this too will stop the car dead in its tracks as I have reciently found out

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
17 Jul 2009 14:15 #1022 by SFMANGAL
Thanks.

Despite my salvage supplier providing a MAF sensor taken from a Jimny, apparently, jimnys don't have a MAF sensor (as advised by Suzuki technician)! Now I AM confused/frustrated :angry:

So, can anyone tell me where the MAF sensor on a Jimny DOHC actually fits and/or what it looks like? I think my supplier doesn't know the difference between a Vitara and a Jimny, as the part they sent matches a Vitara perfectly.

Help!

More
17 Jul 2009 14:45 - 17 Jul 2009 19:01 #1023 by mlines

Jimnys don't have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, they have a MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure)

Its item 6 on the diagram above.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 17 Jul 2009 19:01 by mlines.

More
17 Jul 2009 18:32 #1025 by SFMANGAL
Thanks Martin - most helpful. Looks like my supplier is not the expert they profess to be.

Do you think a faulty MAP sensor could be the cause of the problems I mentioned on my initial post?

More
17 Jul 2009 19:05 #1026 by mlines
Its really difficult to tell. I have only come across one person with a failed MAP sensor and the engine ran, it just ran very badly.

If the Engine Management light is on then you should be able to read the reason using an ODBII reader.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds